More GT500 from 2019 Shelby Bash in Vegas

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think your giving them to much credit. They say its designed for ultimate performance on track but the design of the car using 20" wheels seems like its leaning to more of an all around road car like GT500s have always typically been. More to suit the masses which is fine, i still love it but just wish the option for 19s was there at least because i could care less about the track package wheels and would definitely use aftermarket wheels and tires which are typically lighter and better avalible sizes etc. Really hope they do put utmost focus on shaving that weight though so it can compete with an auto ZLE mainly, guess we shall find out. I could see the brakes being needed if it could reach 200mph hehehe :)
My position all along has been we will see.....
Sponsored

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
That Orange colour is growing on me. Still think I will get the Red one but brighter colours are calling my name.

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
I think your giving them to much credit. They say its designed for ultimate performance on track but the design of the car using 20" wheels seems like its leaning to more of an all around road car like GT500s have always typically been......
When Ford set out to design the car they had certain performance standards that they deemed they needed to meet. I know this and what those standards are because my best friend was the performance standards engineer for the project. His job was to keep the car on track (no pun intended) through the development process.

For "ultimate on track performance" they set some VERY high standards. Higher than anything I have seen out of any manufacturer except Porsche. I wish I could disclose them to you. You would be shocked how lofty they are. To meet those standards the car has about a million pounds of coolers, pumps, lines, fluid, etc. To stop all that weight while maintaining goals they had to use brakes that big. Using brakes that big made 20's necessary. Those 20's aren't on there for aesthetics. They are there because they are what is needed to solve an engineering problem.

I assure you, even the non track pack cars are very, very, very focused on road course lap times and longevity. This is the "raciest" Mustang ever designed by a huge margin. Yes, I'm including the GT350 in the comparison.

I could see the brakes being needed if it could reach 200mph hehehe :)
Big brakes are needed for repeated deceleration (road course). You don't actually need that much brake to stop from 200mph once.

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
I highly doubt the 500s design goals primarily revolved around aesthetics. An automotive engineer designing a performance vehicle like this would kill to save a pound here and there. The 20" wheels were designed to be the same weight as the 19" counterpart on the 350. Unfortunately, the engineers decided on bigger brakes (and I'm sure for good reason).
100% correct.

You can bet your bottom dollar that every aspect of this S550 chassis was gone over and weight was saved wherever economically feasible. Let's face it, the 500, as expensive as it may wind up being, will still have to be competitive with other vehicles in its class.
Again, 100% correct. I know ounces were stressed over while MAINTAINING A BUDGET. The key here is budget. They could drop 500# off of the car and not need to stress their engineering power one iota. It simply costs money. Money that they rightly thought would drive the price of the car up to a level that it wasn't a viable product.

Do people think that is costs more to make a ZR1 than a GT500 HP to HP and LB to LB? No, it doesn't. The ZR1's what is it $120K+ price is what happens when you want to shave #400lb. If the ZR1 was 4000# it could be a $80K car.

So I seriously doubt they added extra weight to the car by putting larger, more massive rotors that would add weight and be a detriment to performance for the sake of some kind of bragging right.
You are absolutely 100% correct.

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
That Orange colour is growing on me. Still think I will get the Red one but brighter colours are calling my name.
Same for me. The last one was Deep Impact Blue. Definitely ready for a lighter/brighter color. The question is...is the orange car we've been seeing Orange Fury or is it the new Twister Orange? I'm reading conflicting information on that. Either way I like it, but if it's not Twister Orange, I really want to see that color!

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
When Ford set out to design the car they had certain performance standards that they deemed they needed to meet. I know this and what those standards are because my best friend was the performance standards engineer for the project. His job was to keep the car on track (no pun intended) through the development process.

For "ultimate on track performance" they set some VERY high standards. Higher than anything I have seen out of any manufacturer except Porsche. I wish I could disclose them to you. You would be shocked how lofty they are. To meet those standards the car has about a million pounds of coolers, pumps, lines, fluid, etc. To stop all that weight while maintaining goals they had to use brakes that big. Using brakes that big made 20's necessary. Those 20's aren't on there for aesthetics. They are there because they are what is needed to solve an engineering problem.

I assure you, even the non track pack cars are very, very, very focused on road course lap times and longevity. This is the "raciest" Mustang ever designed by a huge margin. Yes, I'm including the GT350 in the comparison.

Big brakes are needed for repeated deceleration (road course). You don't actually need that much brake to stop from 200mph once.
So the 4100+ mark is seeming more and more likely.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The key here is budget.
That what's always impresses me: incredible performance in a reasonably low cost (relatively) vehicle. When I see X performance from a $xxxK+ car, well, yeah, of course, in a vacuum it's impressive, but having to work within the constraints of budget, utilizing existing platforms/tech, well, as a "working" software engineer, I can appreciate that __way__ more.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
How much is a fully loaded supercharger kit 90-110 lbs? So 3750 for GT350R + 110 lb + extra rads = 4k?

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
^^

+larger brake rotors
Calipers
Rear e brake caliper
Thicker half shafts
DCT transmission (this alone will take 10L of oil)
Hood and fenders have been rumoured to be heavier than 350
All the lines radiators and liquids for oil and water (big weight here)

Just as an example, the factory trans cooler and rear diff cooler and fluids add 31 pounds to the GT350 AND that includes an integrated oil pump for the transmission. This DCT likely doesn’t have an internal pump (does it???)

I’m guessing there were chassis reinforcements in the rear for the additional downforce of the spoiler.

It adds up.

I’m honestly guessing the base is 4100 and the track at 4000

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^

+larger brake rotors
Calipers
Rear e brake caliper
Thicker half shafts
DCT transmission (this alone will take 10L of oil)
Hood and fenders have been rumoured to be heavier than 350
All the lines radiators and liquids for oil and water (big weight here)

Just as an example, the factory trans cooler and rear diff cooler and fluids add 31 pounds to the GT350 AND that includes an integrated oil pump for the transmission. This DCT likely doesn’t have an internal pump (does it???)

I’m guessing there were chassis reinforcements in the rear for the additional downforce of the spoiler.

It adds up.

I’m honestly guessing the base is 4100 and the track at 4000
Video states the DCT weighs the same as the manual in the gt350. In my 4K guess, I gave it 150lbs for the coolers. Hoods and fenders are going to be what 2 pounds heavier? Those don’t weigh that much. My 4K estimate was comparing R to the carbon fiber track version since I started out with the gt350R weight.

I don’t get your original post, you literally came up with the same estimate as me, 4k.

Most of the R&D are from aero, and suspension tuning, reliability testing and such. Those tend to not reflect in much weight changes(2019 gt350 as an example).

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Video states the DCT weighs the same as the manual in the gt350. In my 4K guess, I gave it 150lbs for the coolers. Hoods and fenders are going to be what 2 pounds heavier? Those don’t weigh that much. My 4K estimate was comparing R to the carbon fiber track version since I started out with the gt350R weight.

I don’t get your original post, you literally came up with the same estimate as me, 4k.

Most of the R&D are from aero, and suspension tuning, reliability testing and such. Those tend to not reflect in much weight changes(2019 gt350 as an example).
I read your post in the context of questioning HOW coolers and lines weighed 150lbs. I’m saying there are additional items that all add up to that.

I’m also being generous with the 4000on the track. There’s even been rumours at 4225 for a base, and likely 4125 fro a track pack.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read your post in the context of questioning HOW coolers and lines weighed 150lbs. I’m saying there are additional items that all add up to that.

I’m also being generous with the 4000on the track. There’s even been rumours at 4225 for a base, and likely 4125 fro a track pack.
I short hand wrote everything so when I said coolers I really meant coolers as a large contributor + misc. obviously bigger wheel, brakes, etc contribute. My bad then.
Sponsored