quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Hey guys,

I don’t mean to beat an old dog here, but after going over countless threads on the subject, I guess I’m looking for your opinion on my oil needs. I’ve decided on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Syn… but do I go 5W-20 or 5W-30? My car is a 2020 PP2

i live in Ontario Canada. It’s hot and humid in the summer and cool-ish in the spring and fall. Car will never see winter.

It’s a toy, I drive spiritedly and have fun with it. Sometimes I take it to work, sometimes I’m out in the country driving like a teenager. It’s a mixed bag.

do I go 5W-20 or 5W-30? This is my first oil change. I have 2,400km on the car (1500miles).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What does the owners manual and the oil fill cap say ? There’s your answer

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
Don’t know about 2020, but here is the tech for my 19. According to this you should be fine with either. I will be doing the 5-30 once my supercharger is installed.
EC759A2A-1866-4E5D-8FD7-F30BE5C456C9.png

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
but after going over countless threads on the subject, I guess I’m looking for your opinion on my oil needs.
Well, this thread is going to be no different than the others. Nothing we will tell you here will be different than what you've already read in those threads.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Short Answer:
To keep things simple, do exactly what the oil cap or manual says to do, and you'll have no issues with the dealer or otherwise.

Longer Answer:
5W-20, as is believed and confirmed years ago by someone (not necessarily in the Mustang community) speaking to Ford engineers, was specc'd to satisfy CAFE and eek out every last MPG (or L/100km in Canada) due to it's lower viscosity.

However, in the '15-'20MY North American Owner's Manuals for the GT 5.0L engines, it "recommends" 5W-30 for track use (reading between the lines, this is for better engine protection at high RPM, high load and higher heat, in sustained performance driving situations.)

*Adding to the mix, Roush supercharged versions of the GT 5.0L spec 5W-50 - presumably for the anticipated increase in pressures, temps, etc., from being FI.*

Meanwhile, across the world in Australia, for example, Mustangs of this gen there, since the beginning, spec 5W-30 (No CAFE to deal with...)

Then, for the 2021MY, Ford has called for 5W-30 now, for regular use, in North American GT 5.0L Mustangs, including the Mach 1.

Why the switch? Why all the variations in what is specc'd? Is Ford really having minor mechanical differences, internally in these 5.0L engines for a Roush, North American, UK or Australia, which lead to different viscosities being recommended? Probably not.

However, what does this all mean? Unless in super cold sub-zero temperatures, running 5W-30 as an alternative to 5W-20 is perfectly fine, and shouldn't void your warranty anyway, since it is specifically mentioned in the Owner's manual, as the alternate viscosity, for '15-20MY cars.

As for what I personally run in my 2019 GT PP2, that is DD also in Ontario, Canada, that sees spirited driving and rare track time? 5W-30.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Short Answer:
To keep things simple, do exactly what the oil cap or manual says to do, and you'll have no issues with the dealer or otherwise.

Longer Answer:
5W-20, as is believed and confirmed years ago by someone (not necessarily in the Mustang community) speaking to Ford engineers, was specc'd to satisfy CAFE and eek out every last MPG (or L/100km in Canada) due to it's lower viscosity.

However, in the '15-'20MY North American Owner's Manuals for the GT 5.0L engines, it "recommends" 5W-30 for track use (reading between the lines, this is for better engine protection at high RPM, high load and higher heat, in sustained performance driving situations.)

*Adding to the mix, Roush supercharged versions of the GT 5.0L spec 5W-50 - presumably for the anticipated increase in pressures, temps, etc., from being FI.*

Meanwhile, across the world in Australia, for example, Mustangs of this gen there, since the beginning, spec 5W-30 (No CAFE to deal with...)

Then, for the 2021MY, Ford has called for 5W-30 now, for regular use, in North American GT 5.0L Mustangs, including the Mach 1.

Why the switch? Why all the variations in what is specc'd? Is Ford really having minor mechanical differences, internally in these 5.0L engines for a Roush, North American, UK or Australia, which lead to different viscosities being recommended? Probably not.

However, what does this all mean? Unless in super cold sub-zero temperatures, running 5W-30 as an alternative to 5W-20 is perfectly fine, and shouldn't void your warranty anyway, since it is specifically mentioned in the Owner's manual, as the alternate viscosity, for '15-20MY cars.

As for what I personally run in my 2019 GT PP2, that is DD also in Ontario, Canada, that sees spirited driving and rare track time? 5W-30.
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Is it getting any clearer .............? My .02 5W30 and why it makes good senses to me.

Yeah oil cap says 20W so what ? Do regular oil changes, have a lead foot 30W, pussy foot 20W will be fine. :computerrage:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
do I go 5W-20 or 5W-30? This is my first oil change. I have 2,400km on the car (1500miles).
0W-40 Euro
I’d leave that factory fill in until at least 3000 miles. That GTL synthetic might be a bit to slippery, your motor is still breaking in, last thing you want is to stop the burnishing process early.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
First number can go down, never up. Second number can go up, never down.
EG: if it calls for 5w40, 10w30 is a no-no.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I've got 5W-20 PP in mine now, when it comes time to change it's going to 5W-30 PP. I am not worried about 5W-20 PP in this car so I am not gonna run out and change it for no reason, but I think I've read enough evidence in the last few months that there isn't any decent reasoning to not run 5W-30.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Pretty sure for '21MY, 5W30 is the spec now. So you should use that. I'm also likely to switch to 5W30, with how hot these summers are getting there's no real reason not to.
Sponsored