Sponsored

More bad news for the other guys

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I would agree especially since the money has already been spent to keep the performance, fuel savings, etc top notch.

I'm sure Ford is looking at FCA with their by industry standards ancient architecture and ability to keep sales going. People like the Mustang...all you need to do is keep the tech fresh and keep gradual improvements in other places.
Good points. I just don't get why getting good power and mileage by putting a turbo on something with less cylinders means you should no longer use more cylinders. Turbo is just a fad in the U. S. Right now anyway. It'll eventually die back down as other technologies evolve.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Good points. I just don't get why getting good power and mileage by putting a turbo on something with less cylinders means you should no longer use more cylinders. Turbo is just a fad in the U. S. Right now anyway. It'll eventually die back down as other technologies evolve.
Naw, not a fad. Emissions and fuel economy regs will make it last for as long as there are ICEs going forward. Next development is electrically operated turbos for 48V hybrid equipped vehicles. Eliminates turbo lag. This is what I originally thought Mustang Hybrid would be. A 2.3T EcoBoost with 48V and e-Turbo. The e-Turbo would provide instant boost at 0 rpm, and bridge the torque gap until the mechanical turbo kicks in. Audi will be using this very soon. Very, very soon.

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Its all about epa regs. Forced induction isnt a fad. Its a more efficent way of doing things. What v8 technology do you forsee beating down forced induction?

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
1 there is no way in hell there will ever be a self driving car anywhere in the snow belt ever with existing technology 2 no need to produce more horsepower without awd, cant hook it.. look to all the gimmicks they did with the demon..basically made it unstreetable. 3) even though I don't think ev's are more eco than internal combustion at the moment, ,but.. ev don't require engineering for intake ,valvetrain, exhaust, cooling,,,,,ect .ect .ect… theres a rotor and stator …..Ev's batteries can be placed low and flat always insuring 50/50 front/ rear ratio as well as an incredible ways to style vehicles, which hasn't even come close to be taken advantage of. if a u s manufacturer would stlyed an ev like gm styled the fiero in 1984, with sleek sexy lines good performance with awd they would sell millions. and I would be a buyer

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
if a u s manufacturer would stlyed an ev like gm styled the fiero in 1984, with sleek sexy lines good performance with awd they would sell millions. and I would be a buyer
I'm sorry but a Fiero. :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Will I be bummed if there isn't a 7th gen Camaro due to low sales? Maybe.. I haven't seen it yet. Maybe they'll just get rid of all the windows and make you wear a VR headset while driving, and I wouldn't buy that..
According to Settlemire there are currently two next generations of camaros already in development. Everything can be subject to change, but I'm pretty sure we will definitely see a 7th Gen Camaro - Especially since they will make a bigger divide between Corvette and Camaro with the Corvette Zora being a midengine car.

The V8 isn't going anywhere. There are still a lot of V8 cars being built. The V8 displacements might shrink and get boosted, but the amount of cylinders really isn't all that important.
Remember that Ford is going pretty big on international sales on the Mustang. I don't think big engines can survive in europe, China, etc with the pollution regulations becoming more and more ridiculous.
According to my talk with the head of Mustang in Europe he said that the US engineers know how important the V8 is for the Mustang community, but he couldn't confirm anything yet. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next generations of muscle cars are getting 3,X or 4,X liter V8 engines with turbos.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Its all about epa regs. Forced induction isnt a fad. Its a more efficent way of doing things. What v8 technology do you forsee beating down forced induction?
Who knows what the future holds? Nothing stays the same. Who knows what the EPA regs will be in 10 years?

My main point here is that cylinders dont mean much in the grand scheme but people constantly say the V8 is going away. You can turbo anything. Big boost/small engine, small boost/big engine. Big v6, small v8. Etc. Turbo has been around for a very long time. All technology is ebb and flow for a variety of reasons. I personally just dont see turbo being the de facto standard in automotive engines forever

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
As long there is a market for the v8. Its not going anywhere. But being what the current regulations are now. It doesnt take a genius to see they wont get better. Which is why fords decision to discontinue the sale of small cars in this country is such a bad idea. Whats going to offset the low v8 mpg? I doubt suv's are going to help. You need those festivas to balance GTs.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
As long there is a market for the v8. Its not going anywhere. But being what the current regulations are now. It doesnt take a genius to see they wont get better. Which is why fords decision to discontinue the sale of small cars in this country is such a bad idea. Whats going to offset the low v8 mpg? I doubt suv's are going to help. You need those festivas to balance GTs.
Dang blaq called you out! :cwl::cwl::cwl::crackup::crackup::crackup:

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Actually, dropping cars, especially small cars, will help Ford meet CAFE. It’s totally counter-intuitive, but because CAFE is based on footprint area, getting rid of smaller footprint vehicles makes sense. Roughly speaking, the area between the tire contact patches is the footprint area. FCA was (and still is) in the worst shape for fuel economy among the domestic automakers. First thing they did to improve was drop Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, and another car that I don’t remember. Now Chrysler 300 is on the chopping block, so the only cars they will have will be Charger and Challenger. They’ve been replaced by a plethora of 4-cylinder Jeep small utilities

Vehicles with smaller footprints have to meet higher mpg targets than vehicles with larger footprints. In addition, trucks have a lower target than same size cars. So SUVs and Crossovers that meet the definition of a “truck” have lower CAFE targets than similar sized cars. So, an Escape, with footprint area about the same as a Taurus, has a lower target to meet than a Taurus. And Ford makes more money / vehicle with Escape than Taurus. And Ford sells a lot more Escapes than Taurus, so guess what? Bye-bye Taurus. And Fusion.

CAFE, even though it is Corporate Average Fuel Economy, is not a straight or even a weighted average of vehicles sold x label mpg.

The other thing that is happening is that technology is coming that will continue to make V8 engines more fuel efficient, at least for trucks and top end performance vehicles. There is still room for V8 engines to get smaller, more thermal efficient, and with electrification, meet regulatory requirements.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Actually, dropping cars, especially small cars, will help Ford meet CAFE. It’s totally counter-intuitive, but because CAFE is based on footprint area, getting rid of smaller footprint vehicles makes sense. Roughly speaking, the area between the tire contact patches is the footprint area. FCA was (and still is) in the worst shape for fuel economy among the domestic automakers. First thing they did to improve was drop Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200, and another car that I don’t remember. Now Chrysler 300 is on the chopping block, so the only cars they will have will be Charger and Challenger. They’ve been replaced by a plethora of 4-cylinder Jeep small utilities

Vehicles with smaller footprints have to meet higher mpg targets than vehicles with larger footprints. In addition, trucks have a lower target than same size cars. So SUVs and Crossovers that meet the definition of a “truck” have lower CAFE targets than similar sized cars. So, an Escape, with footprint area about the same as a Taurus, has a lower target to meet than a Taurus. And Ford makes more money / vehicle with Escape than Taurus. And Ford sells a lot more Escapes than Taurus, so guess what? Bye-bye Taurus. And Fusion.

CAFE, even though it is Corporate Average Fuel Economy, is not a straight or even a weighted average of vehicles sold x label mpg.

The other thing that is happening is that technology is coming that will continue to make V8 engines more fuel efficient, at least for trucks and top end performance vehicles. There is still room for V8 engines to get smaller, more thermal efficient, and with electrification, meet regulatory requirements.
Only the government could come up with a 'solution' as convoluted and bass ackward as that!

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
2015 post :)
517B0540-B036-4E39-988B-B7520FE2A7CB.jpeg
Oh hotlap and blaq!:crazy: The funny thing about both of those guys. Is hotlap calls his and all other Camaros. An 11 second car. Even though he cant sniff an 11 second pass with an automatic and good DA. He's also never actually seen one make an 11 second run in real life. And Blaq runs high 11s. In a ZL1 he calls a 10 second car. But I'm delusional? These are the same guys that said. Only a factory prepped ringer could run an 11 second pass in a 2018 Mustang! But I'm delusional? If Blaq wants to line em up. Ill give his 70 grand Camaro a world class beating. In a Mustang I got about 45K invested in. To make it fun. I oughta give him a 2 second head start.:like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)