Sponsored

Mods and Members: Tire size comparison sticky?

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would be helpful to have a tire size comparison sticky with a site link so people can see the difference in tire sizes and how they match up to their stock size...whether they are upsizing wheels, going wider, or...
The site that I've used a LOT and has been very helpful is: https://tiresize.com/comparison/ They also have some other tire charts and tools which are helpful.
I am in no way affiliated with them.
What do you guys think?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, make a solid thread post with good info in it and I think we can talk them into making it a sticky. I have some wheel width/offset info I can add to it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I like the idea, but I've never found an online tire calculator app that properly estimates tire revs per mile. Even tiresize.com missed this, along with the sort of comparison plotting that other apps have.

There's about 3% circumferential compression in the tire tread as it passes through contact with the ground (it varies a bit, so 3% is not an exact figure). This means that for a 25.85" tall tire that has an 81.22" circumference (I used a 285/35-18), it rolls like it's only 78.86" circumference (~25.10" tall). That's 803.x revs/mile actual, where tiresize.com (and all the others) only come up with 780.

For street driving this isn't a big deal, but it's technically incorrect and it can be enough to matter at autocross (where you generally don't want to use 3rd gear unless you've changed the axle gearing) or on track (where you might want to avoid having to either grab the top overdrive gear or chug along on the rev limiter).

If nothing else, some version of the above notes should probably be included.

Don't be surprised if such a thread ends up with thousands of posts. Literally thousands.

Norm