Sponsored

Model year 18 and up F150 manifold VS GT 350 Manifold

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
unfortunately, like everyother HP engine I have had I got used to the power and am looking for more. I don't want to spin to 8000 so am now looking at a PD blower.

Now to make the wallet grow some dollars to make it happen.
I'm afraid that I will feel the same way even with the truck intake. I have had a few Turbo cars in the recent past and really miss that torque. My god the roll on power of my TTRS was just so amazing. 3 years of owning it I would still say Holy F^&** when I would roll on from 60 to 100. I just don't want to FI the GT though. The cost and the weight and even the damn OPG replacment and such make it such a big investment. But who doesn't love a little supercharger whine!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you were an asshat in my other thread I have blocked you.
Says the king of asshats. So is your F150 intake the KING DADDY of intakes ?

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
In terms of flow, does the 2018+ F150 Manifold shit all over the pre-2017 F150 manifolds?

I'm thinking of getting a 2018+ F150 Manifold and having it ported.

To install on a 2017 GT do I need the CMCV wiring harness / pig tails?

VMP-INA015.jpg

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You need a tune to change the voltages. Don't waste your time with a truck intake. Nobody runs the truck intake. Not even the truck guys.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you rarely see RPM over 4000 the truck manifold is better.

If you like flooring it and winding out the motor to 7000 it is not for you.

Sponsored

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
As WildHorse said, not even us truck guys run ‘em. Get a GT350 mani instead

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
In my case I very very seldom go to 7000 rpm. Many days without hitting redline. But I drive a lot from 2000 to 4000. I really like the curve of the truck. It make more power (25 hp, 35 tq) most of the curve more then the GT manifolds all the way to 6700rpm. Honestly for the street I don't even see how to argue that it's not a great option.

I'm going to try a truck intake soon. They are under $100 to try. Just need to figure out if it's worth the hassle to go with the 18 truck over the 15 truck.

20220328_192207.jpg

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
In my case I very very seldom go to 7000 rpm. Many days without hitting redline. But I drive a lot from 2000 to 4000. I really like the curve of the truck. It make more power (25 hp, 35 tq) most of the curve more then the GT manifolds all the way to 6700rpm. Honestly for the street I don't even see how to argue that it's not a great option.

I'm going to try a truck intake soon. They are under $100 to try. Just need to figure out if it's worth the hassle to go with the 18 truck over the 15 truck.
So you're focusing on a power band for just regular driving? Seems rather pointless on a car that's meant to be revved out. I think some people here need to look into some pushrod motors.

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
If you were an asshat in my other thread I have blocked you.

Bolted on the GT 350 manifold today. It takes more throttle to get the same acceleration as with the F150. I can definitely feel an increase in HP above 6500. However this did not result in a decrease of 0 to 60 times. The F mani was consistently 4.5 with no traction, I had to feather the throttle but I could repeat the 4.5 at will.

The 350 mani is slower by .2 giving me consistent 0 to 60 times of 4.7. I was able to mat it off idle and got no real tire spin, concrete. I have not been able to do 1/4 or 1/8th mile testing as of yet.

EDITED to add, the 17 GT manifold I was able to get consistent 4.6 0 to 60 times.

The F manifold was .1 ET and .5 Mph slower in the 1/8th than the original 17 GT manifold. Nothing I care about as the low and midrange was lots better as evidenced by the 0 to 60 Mph times.

I shifted the F mani at 6600 for best results and right now I've got the 350 mani shifting at 7400.

I can't wait for a track to open so I can get a side by side comparison.

I'm doing this because I want a more torque oriented engine without losing top end. So I'm comparing these manifolds one is HP tuned and one is Tq tuned. I want to figure out what I like best on the street. I thought I'd do some acceleration testing just to see how much the F manifold gives up. So far it gives up nothing to the 15-17 GT manifold and is quicker than the 350 manifold to 60Mph.

I will update this thread as I get new information
What gears are you running

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
So you're focusing on a power band for just regular driving? Seems rather pointless on a car that's meant to be revved out. I think some people here need to look into some pushrod motors.
Absolutely I am focusing on daily driving. I literially drive at least 99% of my time under 6700 RPM. In my case I really only have one gear that the truck intake would hurt, 2nd gear. I don't drive my car over 100mph so from 3rd gear on I will never use the power above 6700rpm. Why is so hard to understand the enjoyment 2000 to 4500 rpm torque can bring. Like 30 to 40 fb's more when I want to pass on the highway or such.. Tuned 4cyl cars have more high gear torque then my GT. I miss that coming from a 4cyl tuned Audi.

Yes I would probably enjoy the LS big cubic inch power. I just enjoy everything else about the mustang. I just want more "Holy F*&$" torque that my little 4 cyl audi had. Sure I like the top end scream of the coyote but since my racing days are past I just want the effortless torque without multiple downshifts.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Absolutely I am focusing on daily driving. I literially drive at least 99% of my time under 6700 RPM. In my case I really only have one gear that the truck intake would hurt, 2nd gear. I don't drive my car over 100mph so from 3rd gear on I will never use the power above 6700rpm. Why is so hard to understand the enjoyment 2000 to 4500 rpm torque can bring. Like 30 to 40 fb's more when I want to pass on the highway or such.. Tuned 4cyl cars have more high gear torque then my GT. I miss that coming from a 4cyl tuned Audi.

Yes I would probably enjoy the LS big cubic inch power. I just enjoy everything else about the mustang. I just want more "Holy F*&$" torque that my little 4 cyl audi had. Sure I like the top end scream of the coyote but since my racing days are past I just want the effortless torque without multiple downshifts.
So I get driving normal in those RPM ranges. I have plenty of days where I don't step on it either and just shift at 3k rpm but man the rush of those high RPM pulls is incredible. I get on a long stretch of road and just let loose and it's a blast. I personally want the redline to be a little higher than 7400.

The only low end meaningful torque solution I know of is a PD supercharger for these cars.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
So I get driving normal in those RPM ranges. I have plenty of days where I don't step on it either and just shift at 3k rpm but man the rush of those high RPM pulls is incredible. I get on a long stretch of road and just let loose and it's a blast. I personally want the redline to be a little higher than 7400.

The only low end meaningful torque solution I know of is a PD supercharger for these cars.
Yeah, I started my supercharger fund. I'll see how that goes in the next year or 2. It just can be a costly adventure with the extras of the OPG and even crank supports too. And then I wonder if it will be too much power to feel comfortable doing a few back blitz's. We'll see, sure do love the supercharger whine though!

I'm getting used to the torque of the GT though. I just need to give a bit more throttle then I expect that I would need for the torque I'm looking for. I drive more in paddle shift mode so I don't deal with the constant downshifting. It Ok power. I like to tinker and figure I might just try the cheap experiment some sunday afternoon with a truck manifold.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Absolutely I am focusing on daily driving. I literially drive at least 99% of my time under 6700 RPM. In my case I really only have one gear that the truck intake would hurt, 2nd gear. I don't drive my car over 100mph so from 3rd gear on I will never use the power above 6700rpm. Why is so hard to understand the enjoyment 2000 to 4500 rpm torque can bring. Like 30 to 40 fb's more when I want to pass on the highway or such..
Because your not seeing that torque difference unless you are getting on it. And in that case why not wind it out? Daily driving, cruising, you are not at WOT, so you are not really seeing the additional torque. Sure during the acceleration you will get more torque for the amount of pedal applied, just apply more pedal. If you get to the floor, then you'll be at 7k+ pretty quickly. I could see if the only time you went WOT was for 3000-6500 in one gear then got off it. Just seems odd, as most of us even on the street hit a couple gears.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Because your not seeing that torque difference unless you are getting on it. And in that case why not wind it out? Daily driving, cruising, you are not at WOT, so you are not really seeing the additional torque. Sure during the acceleration you will get more torque for the amount of pedal applied, just apply more pedal. If you get to the floor, then you'll be at 7k+ pretty quickly. I could see if the only time you went WOT was for 3000-6500 in one gear then got off it. Just seems odd, as most of us even on the street hit a couple gears.
There are plenty of times I would just rather the go and not look or sound like a goon driving around causing attention at 7000rpm. Sure I hit a few back road runs and have some fun and love the sound and feel at redline. But that is literially a couple minutes a week.

Then being an automatic, as I give it a lot of throttle to get to reasonable torque, it will downshift multiple times and is annoying for just the fun run to soccer practice and work and such. I just really miss the low throttle torque of the tuned 4cyl cars I had in the part. My wife and daughter were so put back when I got the GT as the lack of power. They are not used to reving and lots of throttle. I'm getting used to it. Use the paddle shifters and lots of throttle input. Much more then I would think I would need to get the go I'm expecting. I do realize turbo cars sort of cheat the power at part throttle by ramping up plenty of boost at low throttle.

2nd gear is about 60 and 3rd is 100mph at red line. So for me the extra power that a 350 manifold would give me over the truck manifold is only in first and second and very very rarely third. Honestly probably only when doing data logs. And first gear redlines instantly anyway, so really only second gear redline is ever seen. CERTAINLY 4th, 5th and 6th will never see the upper end power.

I just think plenty of people have not have the experince with high torque engines and fun they can offer. And actually during my racing years, that setup could be pretty fast around road courses too. Also, I went for the Hellcat dodge ride-a-long at a car show and the gt350. Oh my god the gt350 was so boring after the hellcat ride. The instant on demand torque was a blast!

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
More rear gear and more converter is the answer.
Sponsored