Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
SO with all the topics I read of some saying the gears and pump are fine and some saying it destroyed there engine I wasn't going to take any chances. I replaced them in the car and it was very easy compared to the s197 chassis. Here are some comparison photos of the gears and timing sprocket. The factory pump gears looked cheap and the timing sprocket key way on the ford gear was cut really funny and I could see that cracking.
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4678.JPG
IMG_4679.JPG
IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4673.JPG
IMG_4676.JPG
IMG_4677.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
These are the tools that helped get the inside pick up tube bolt out and back in.
:headbonk:
IMG_4679.JPG
IMG_4680.JPG

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Nice bro. As soon as I get a chance I'm doing mine.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So, I read somewhere that just doing the OPG's and timing sprocket are just "band aids", and that to truly remedy this problem, the harmonic balancer must be replaced. An after market balancer like the ATI balancer.
How true is this? Thanks!

Last edited:

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I think it's the other way around, but I could be wrong.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Well done lol love the wrench

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
It's hard to beat a proven well priced turbo kit. I just installed a Paxton because it was the cheapest option available especially with the black Friday deals. But installing the kit I did so much more to the kit to make it better to make it my own after telling myself for weeks to keep it simple lol. So I totally get wanting to build your own.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
It's hard to beat a proven well priced turbo kit. I just installed a Paxton because it was the cheapest option available especially with the black Friday deals. But installing the kit I did so much more to the kit to make it better to make it my own after telling myself for weeks to keep it simple lol. So I totally get wanting to build your own.
Too many variables and options ..........

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
So, I read somewhere that just doing the OPG's and timing sprocket are just "band aids", and that to truly remedy this problem, the harmonic balancer must be replaced. An after market balancer like the ATI balancer.
How true is this? Thanks!
The dampening would definitely be better than stock but not my much. The biggest problem with the factory gears and sprocket are being brittle and not being able to handle the harmonics when beating on it boosted. If you put on an ati only then those gears would still have the potential of breaking. If you're rotating assembly was balanced then you would benefit more with ati. I plan on switching to the ati balancer just for that extra little benefit. Just waiting to see where my turbo idea goes first as that will be $$$$$$$ I can always add that balanced later. But for now the brittle parts are gone.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The dampening would definitely be better than stock but not my much. The biggest problem with the factory gears and sprocket are being brittle and not being able to handle the harmonics when beating on it boosted. If you put on an ati only then those gears would still have the potential of breaking. If you're rotating assembly was balanced then you would benefit more with ati. I plan on switching to the ati balancer just for that extra little benefit. Just waiting to see where my turbo idea goes first as that will be $$$$$$$ I can always add that balanced later. But for now the brittle parts are gone.
Thanks man!
Appreciate it. :thumbsup: Good luck with your build.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
nice job

MikeS50

To Punish and Enslave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)