Sponsored

MMD quarter window louvers install and impressions

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Confession: I'm not actually a fan of louvers on the S550, at least I wasn't until now. I never intended to get any louvers for the rear or quarter windows, but I saw someone with quarter window louvers on their's and actually came to like the look quite a bit. They give the car a retro vibe without looking too out of place. I guess it goes to show that pictures online or in a catalogue don't really do as much justice as seeing the real thing up close in person.

With that being said, I snagged a set of the MMD quarter window louvers from American Muscle. They were super easy to set up, and look fantastic! I got a bunch of comments about them at the car show I went to yesterday.

The box arrived in decent condition, though it was kind of dented in some places (nothing new for my local UPS delivery guy :frusty: ). Luckily, nothing inside was damaged at all. First thing is to inspect everything in the package:

Next, flip each louver over and clean the surfaces of the tape ledges on the underside. I used a rag and some rubbing alcohol to get them nice and clean. After everything is nice and clean, use the provided adhesion promoter and give each tape ledge a nice swipe or two. After that, cut the provided 3M tape to size and lay them out along the ledges:

Before removing the tape backing and slapping the louvers on the window, do a test fitting first. It's important to see how they actually fit in the quarter window first, otherwise you may end up with unsightly gaps or even worse, a misfit that will impede with opening/shutting of you door. So test it out first! Once you're certain of the fitting, clean the windows, and go ahead and remove the tape backing and carefully press the louver into place, pressing gently across the surface where the tape ledges are. Take extra caution not to push down on areas where there isn't a ledge underneath; I doubt it would break, but there's nothing supporting it underneath, so better safe than sorry.

Once you've completed both sides, step back and enjoy your handiwork!

At the show yesterday:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Sean006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem
Can u see through them from the inside ? Had side scoops took them off cause it made a huge blind spot.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i really like those. I think they look great. Only problem is my kids wouldn't be able to see out the windows.

Cheaper than cervini and I like the design a little better too.

datamon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Ecoboost
Looks great! Appears you have the MMD side scoops too and had them painted (just got mine and will be installing tomorrow).Curious as to the decision to not paint the 1/4 window louvers.

I'm DIB too and really liking the blue pony on the front grill. Add it to my list..

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can u see through them from the inside ? Had side scoops took them off cause it made a huge blind spot.
Not really no, lol. I mean, with the mirrors and a bit of double checking, I can still pretty much see everything just fine, but yeah the louvers do block off the visibility of those quarter windows. Driving around with them yesterday didn't seem all that much different than life before getting them on. There wasn't a situation where I was like "Oh damn, i can't see anything!"

Looks great! Appears you have the MMD side scoops too and had them painted (just got mine and will be installing tomorrow).Curious as to the decision to not paint the 1/4 window louvers.

I'm DIB too and really liking the blue pony on the front grill. Add it to my list..
Thanks man! The pony is a Stanginator from Erik Stevens. There should be a thread that you can search for with his contact info. It's a high quality piece of art.

As for keeping it unpainted, it really came down to where it was located on the car. If it's part of the body and flows with the lines (like the scoops), then I would want them painted. But anything not a part of the body lines like windows, a spoiler, etc. I would keep flat black. I don't really know how to explain it; basically if it flows into a painted part of the car, I want to keep it the same color and keep the color where it should be since I love the DIB so much. But if it's not originally part of a painted section of the car, I don't want to expand the color into a part that was never meant to have color in the first place, does that make sense?

Sponsored

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i really like those. I think they look great. Only problem is my kids wouldn't be able to see out the windows.

Cheaper than cervini and I like the design a little better too.
Truth be told, I like the Cervini's as well, but I think having less "segments" like the MMD one gives it a cleaner look and isn't so "busy." And yeah, it's cheaper, lol

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Truth be told, I like the Cervini's as well, but I think having less "segments" like the MMD one gives it a cleaner look and isn't so "busy." And yeah, it's cheaper, lol
yeah after you posted them i counted how many there were as well and mmd has 1 less. does look less busy. also $50 cheaper before discounts too.

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah after you posted them i counted how many there were as well and mmd has 1 less. does look less busy. also $50 cheaper before discounts too.
Yeah man, $50 is like....10 burritos :lol:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

datamon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Ecoboost
Thanks man! The pony is a Stanginator from Erik Stevens. There should be a thread that you can search for with his contact info. It's a high quality piece of art.

As for keeping it unpainted, it really came down to where it was located on the car. If it's part of the body and flows with the lines (like the scoops), then I would want them painted. But anything not a part of the body lines like windows, a spoiler, etc. I would keep flat black. I don't really know how to explain it; basically if it flows into a painted part of the car, I want to keep it the same color and keep the color where it should be since I love the DIB so much. But if it's not originally part of a painted section of the car, I don't want to expand the color into a part that was never meant to have color in the first place, does that make sense?
Good explanation and now I get your reasoning. Appears that the Stanginator guy is no longer selling them on etsy :frusty:

Love your car! I'm looking at the Big Worm Graphix stripes like you have, but using a grabber blue main stripe and white or orange pinstripes. Been dragging slider bars in Photoshop too many times the past few days to see all combos!

Sponsored
OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good explanation and now I get your reasoning. Appears that the Stanginator guy is no longer selling them on etsy :frusty:

Love your car! I'm looking at the Big Worm Graphix stripes like you have, but using a grabber blue main stripe and white or orange pinstripes. Been dragging slider bars in Photoshop too many times the past few days to see all combos!
His Etsy shop has actually been closed for a while now, even when I ordered mine. I suggest finding that thread since there's a his personal contact info. That's how I ordered mine; just e-mail him and he'll send you an order form.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he simply doesn't make them anymore.

As far as your stripes, obviously I vouch for Big Worm's quality. And I can't wait to see your color choice; it'll definitely pop!

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
looks good, i like them unpainted, surprisingly.

What did you do to get your car to shine like that? looks like you cut the orange peel at least.

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Those look super great, man! 1/4 window louvers are the 1st visual mod I want for my car too. I also think they look better in black on all cars. I'm not really a fan of the paint-patched louvers. Even rear window louvers look best black imo.

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks good, i like them unpainted, surprisingly.

What did you do to get your car to shine like that? looks like you cut the orange peel at least.
Nothing special. Just a wash, wipe down with a quick detailer, and a wax. Toro wax products

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Did you use some hdr on the camera? It is looking awefully good there
Sponsored