Sponsored

MMD Carbon Fiber Fog Light Surrounds Installation

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
In addition to the Steeda 2-Point G-Trac Brace I installed yesterday, I also decided to spruce up the front end of my car with a bit of carbon fiber goodness. I didn’t want anything TOO showy like an entire CF hood or anything, so I opted instead for the MMD Carbon Fiber Fog Light Surrounds.

The surrounds came in this afternoon so I took a few minutes to pop them on. No instructions were provided, but isn’t too difficult to figure out what to do, especially considering the fact that you are literally just sticking a cover over the existing fog light housing.

The package comes with two of the surrounds, and two rolls of 3M tape. It’s not the hardcore VHB tape, so be careful when working with it because the tape can get pretty flimsy. I used one roll for both sides, so MMD definitely gives you more than enough to work with.

The first thing you should do is clean off the surface of the fog light housings. Anytime you’re working with adhesives, it’s best to have a clean surface free of any dirt, debris, bug guts, detailer, wax, etc. I used my Toro Clean cleaning solution and finish it up by wiping everything down with some rubbing alcohol.

Next, it’s time to do a test fitment. The test fitment not only shows you how the covers will sit on top of the existing housing, but it should also give you an idea on where contact will be made, and therefore where you should be applying the 3M tape. There’s more than enough tape, so feel free to use quite a bit on any surface that will be touching the plastic housing underneath. The tape is the ONLY thing holding these surrounds on the car, so don’t be shy about using a lot.

I ended putting along the entire perimeter, and any flat surface that I could find, including the curved portion around the fog light itself.

After your tape is applied and to take all the backing paper off (which is a pain in the ass, btw….I used a nail clipper to lift the edges and start peeling), grip the curved part of the surround, and carefully insert over the existing housing. Push all the way back until you feel resistance, then start applying pressure across the whole surface, making sure that the perimeter is especially held on tight. Repeat for the other side. Once both sides are securely on, give each surround a wipe down, and enjoy!

This isn’t the cheapest cosmetic mod you can do to your car, but the parts are made from actual carbon fiber, and it adds a nice touch of “oomph” to your front end without going too overboard.
Sponsored

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
weight reduction ftw... Looks good Tony

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

bruinfan17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic GT

Sponsored

bruinfan17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic GT
In addition to the Steeda 2-Point G-Trac Brace I installed yesterday, I also decided to spruce up the front end of my car with a bit of carbon fiber goodness. I didn’t want anything TOO showy like an entire CF hood or anything, so I opted instead for the MMD Carbon Fiber Fog Light Surrounds.

The surrounds came in this afternoon so I took a few minutes to pop them on. No instructions were provided, but isn’t too difficult to figure out what to do, especially considering the fact that you are literally just sticking a cover over the existing fog light housing.

The package comes with two of the surrounds, and two rolls of 3M tape. It’s not the hardcore VHB tape, so be careful when working with it because the tape can get pretty flimsy. I used one roll for both sides, so MMD definitely gives you more than enough to work with.

The first thing you should do is clean off the surface of the fog light housings. Anytime you’re working with adhesives, it’s best to have a clean surface free of any dirt, debris, bug guts, detailer, wax, etc. I used my Toro Clean cleaning solution and finish it up by wiping everything down with some rubbing alcohol.

Next, it’s time to do a test fitment. The test fitment not only shows you how the covers will sit on top of the existing housing, but it should also give you an idea on where contact will be made, and therefore where you should be applying the 3M tape. There’s more than enough tape, so feel free to use quite a bit on any surface that will be touching the plastic housing underneath. The tape is the ONLY thing holding these surrounds on the car, so don’t be shy about using a lot.

I ended putting along the entire perimeter, and any flat surface that I could find, including the curved portion around the fog light itself.

After your tape is applied and to take all the backing paper off (which is a pain in the ass, btw….I used a nail clipper to lift the edges and start peeling), grip the curved part of the surround, and carefully insert over the existing housing. Push all the way back until you feel resistance, then start applying pressure across the whole surface, making sure that the perimeter is especially held on tight. Repeat for the other side. Once both sides are securely on, give each surround a wipe down, and enjoy!

This isn’t the cheapest cosmetic mod you can do to your car, but the parts are made from actual carbon fiber, and it adds a nice touch of “oomph” to your front end without going too overboard.
Love the look!

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Looks amazing.

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Looks fantastic, Tony!

Nice write-up!

Alex

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! Here are some outdoor shots:

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Looks great! Very tasteful addition.

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the review, I had ordered these as well as the ones for the tail lights.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
looks so sick i got a cold.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Trufiber sales the replacements.
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Yeah I believe they are like $650 or something. These ones are about $150-$200 depending on where you buy them.
I love Trufiber's stuff but sometimes they are smoking crack with their prices. Check out the seat inserts, they are a joke.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Thanks everyone! Here are some outdoor shots:

I like this! How much for them and did you get the rear tail light and trunk panel as well? If so, how much and where did you buy?
Sponsored