Sponsored

MMD by Foose side scoops and roof spoiler install write up

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Got my MMD roof spoiler and Foose side scoops in this week, and since the roof spoiler is such a simple install, I thought I would combine the two into one install thread rather than waste everyone’s time with two separate ones. With that being said, let’s get started with the roof spoiler since that went on first.

[MENTION=11533]Project Whitemare[/MENTION] 's install thread pretty much covered everything in pretty explicit detail, but I figured I would offer my thoughts as well. My box came CRUSHED from UPS and I was pretty paranoid when I opened it up, but upon closer inspection it turns out that the spoiler itself was undamaged. It was wrapped up in a nice layer of bubble wrap which protected it from any cosmetic damage, and the material of the spoiler itself is somewhat pliable, so any Ace Ventura delivery damage didn’t actually do any harm. Thank goodness.

The install process itself was very simple and took me less than 2 minutes to complete. I first started with a dry fit to see where I wanted the spoiler to sit. It’s pretty self explanatory; there’s really only one place for the spoiler to go so if you mess the install up, you must have been crazy drunk or something. I originally wanted the spoiler completely butted up against the gap between the roof line and glass, but since my roof stripes tuck under that gap, it didn’t look right to me. Instead, I lined up the upper edge with the edge of the glass, and decided to place it there.

2m5IVdlh.png

Next, I cleaned the window with some Toro Clean and wiped down the perimeter with the supplied alcohol wipes. After that was completed, I gave a quick swipe along the perimeter edge with the included adhesion promoter (which smells like absolute crap).

Once the glass surface was prepped, I simply peeled off the 3M tape backing on the edges, lined up the spoiler, pressed it into place, and slowly peeled the remainder of the tape backing away, all while maintaining an even pressure across the surface. Once all was said and done, I ended up with a nice, subtle addition to my roof that I never even knew I wanted until I saw the listing.

9N0jnh1h.png

pV6efQfh.png

tcFWl5mh.png

Next up are the MMD by Foose side scoops. I wanted side scoops since the day I got my Mustang since they remind of every SN95 I have seen (that’s my favorite body style). However, all I was seeing were the Roush side scoops, and while those look fantastic, I wanted something that not every other person had. yet they needed to be subtle. So, I decided to wait.

I’m glad I waited because the MMD by Foose scoops were exactly what I was looking for. They are more rounded and less angular than the Roush and MMD V Series side scoops, and I like the way they flow into the body lines much better. They’re also smaller, which I didn’t think I would like at first, but actually ended up preferring them to longer Roush/V Series ones.

Installation was pretty simply, though a bit more involved than the roof spoiler. Once all pieces were inspected for damage, I went ahead and cleaned off the portion of the side of the car that the scoops were being mounted to. Since I just had a fresh coat of wax put on over the weekend, I had to made sure none of that was remaining on the surface, so that meant hitting the surface with some Toro Clean, soap water, and a few swipes with the included alcohol wipes. Once that was all done, I busted open the package.

UA4CYrlh.png

My box came a little squished (since UPS decided to stack a box of baby wipes on top), but nothing as bad as the box for the roof spoiler. Luckily, nothing was damaged and for the most part, AM packaged everything quite securely but there was a lot of open space within the box which could have been protected a bit better with bubble wrap or something. Just an FYI for the future.

LvhqgB1h.png

gX6DoZWh.png

American Muscle includes everything you need right in the kit (2 scoops, 2 scoop inserts, a roll of 3M tape, 2 adhesion promoters, 4 alcohol wipes, and instructions) so all you need to provide is a pair of scissors. The first step is to flip a scoop over and find the three ledges where the 3M tape will go on. Clean those sections with an alcohol wipe, then give it a couple of swipes with some adhesion promoter.

U11rL4Gh.png

Next, take a strip of 3M tape and affix it to each ledge section, cutting to fit as needed. I found it to be easier to cut smaller sections of tape one at a time rather than trying to lay one long strip since the adhesion promoter gives you less room for error. I did one scoop with long strips, and the other scoop with individual sections and they both went on just fine.

y2Mdp6nh.png

Each scoop also has a separate insert that must be attached, so clean each insert’s ledge and apply adhesion promoter and 3m tape just like on the scoop ledges. Before removing the backing on the insert, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ONE for whatever side you’re working on. If you screw up, that adhesion promoter is going to make sure the tape isn’t coming off, or at the very least it’s going to damage something. Peel off the edges of the tape backing, make sure it fits, then press down. Once it all looks good, slowly remove the remainder of the tape backing.

Once both scoops are prepped, it’s time to pop them on the car. I went ahead and did another cleaning on the sides of the car just to be safe. Do a dry fit to make sure you know where the placement is supposed to be. It’s actually pretty easy since the upper edge of the scoop butts up against the upper body line, so it essentially “clicks” into place (if that makes sense). All you have to worry about is getting the upper edge butted up, and make sure sure the sides line up with the door gap. The rest of the scoop's placement will take care of itself if those two things are lined up.

L6K21woh.png

When you’re ready to put the scoops in place, pull back the edges of the tape backing on each of the three sections, and carefully line the scoop up in position, and press into place firmly. Once you’re satisfied with the placement, slowly peel away the remainder of the backing from behind. Do this SLOWLY because you don’t want to tear the backing and be unable to reach the remainder under the scoop. Once all the backing is removed, apply a firm and even pressure along the edges to ensure that everything is sticking correctly.

Repeat the process for the other side, wipe the scoops down when you’re finished, and enjoy! Better pics to come once the weather clears up.

2MSFMAvh.png

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Nice detailed write-up. Good job.:cheers:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Nice write-up, looks good !

I keep hoping someone bites the bullet & installs the MMD/Foose hood scoop.

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write-up, looks good !

I keep hoping someone bites the bullet & installs the MMD/Foose hood scoop.
You know, funny that you should mention that. I seriously considered it, but opted against it since I wouldn't be able to get that section of the stripes replaced. I contacted Big Worm who was more than happy to do it, but they don't have the hood scoop handy for measurements.

Sponsored

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x vw

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Looking good brother! Excellent job on the write-up!

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

3Dautoclean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Huffy
You know, funny that you should mention that. I seriously considered it, but opted against it since I wouldn't be able to get that section of the stripes replaced. I contacted Big Worm who was more than happy to do it, but they don't have the hood scoop handy for measurements.
I'm curious what measurements they would need? There's not much of a taper or angle on the hood scoop that I'm aware of.

Edit:I take that back...There's a piece right down the middle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious what measurements they would need? There's not much of a taper or angle on the hood scoop that I'm aware of.

Edit:I take that back...There's a piece right down the middle.
That and the fact that (if I remember correctly), the Big Worm dual narrow stripes have a gradual taper down the entire length of the hood. I'm no stripe manufacturing expert by any means, but I could imagine having that hood scoop on there might throw off the taper by a bit. Better safe than sorry, I suppose!

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
I put on the foose scoop by mmd and it has good instuctions, however iI used a trick from working on racecars. after you drill and get everything read to mount. I took some 2" screws that are the same size as the screws used to mount it and cut the headsz
off to make a set of alignment studs they helped put mit in place correctly before the tape was stuck. then after that I simply removed the stud screws and used the supplied hardware. Made alignment really much easier..

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure somehow it could work. Bet it would look great too.
Oh I bet it would! I think Big Worm was just reluctant to guesstimate a measurement without having the hood scoop in their hands.

OP
OP
suckerv

suckerv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put on the foose scoop by mmd and it has good instuctions, however iI used a trick from working on racecars. after you drill and get everything read to mount. I took some 2" screws that are the same size as the screws used to mount it and cut the headsz
off to make a set of alignment studs they helped put mit in place correctly before the tape was stuck. then after that I simply removed the stud screws and used the supplied hardware. Made alignment really much easier..
Huh, that's a cool idea! I'm going to have to remember this if and when I do get a hood scoop someday. I might just do a hood swap; I kinda like that Trufiber ram air hood....maybe someday.
Sponsored