MK 7 VW GTI vs 2020 GT base, both manual

Bobbyavt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just went from 2015 GTI with APR stage 1 tune to base GT. It feels slower and way bigger and heavier. I do like it and plan on modding it but slightly disappointing.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I made the same move, its not slower lol. The shitty 235 width tires on the base are just not up to the task. You may think you aren't spinning but I promise you that the traction control is cutting all the power. Put real wheels and tires on it and it will be much faster. It's retarded they even sell those on the GT, they're worthless besides going to the grocery store.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Been there done that...

2016 MK7 two door (modded) m6 to 18 GT pp1 a10. The 122 mph trap speed on the GT tells me all I need to know. lol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Might be close to be honest. APR stage 1 is what? Low 13 second car? Stock GT with manual around 12.6 as a best time by someone who tests 1/4 mile for a living? With the mustang though the sky is the limit. Doesn't take much to make it a beast.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Any manual race is generally a drivers race on street. Luv my a10...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just went from 2015 GTI with APR stage 1 tune to base GT. It feels slower and way bigger and heavier.
well yeah, that should have been bloody obvious from the spec sheet. The GT is not nimble or tossable like the GTI. I drove my '19 Rabbit, '19 EB mustang and '19 GT mustang back to back for a year. Effortless Smiles/mile was always highest with the GTI. You can make serious improvements to any of the Mustang lineup but you'll always be fighting physics and questionable engineering choices.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Might be close to be honest. APR stage 1 is what? Low 13 second car? Stock GT with manual around 12.6 as a best time by someone who tests 1/4 mile for a living? With the mustang though the sky is the limit. Doesn't take much to make it a beast.
Nah, APR stage 1 isn't anything groundbreaking. A stock GTI is a 14.5 on a good day with the manual, with stage 1 you might get a high 13 if you're really on your game that day.

Steely33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI
I currently own stock turbo pro-tuned 15 GTI manual, 300whp, test drove 2 mustang, 2014 manual tuned boss intake and tuned 18a10 both base models, (last mustang I owned was 89 back in 1992 ran high 12's thought i t was fast 😀) gti feels totally different, under 5k Gti feels way quicker, both mustang felt gutless at low rpm, and yes mustang felt heavy, huge hood and base gti much better interior, but Mustang at high rpm was incredible, the power comes on right where my gti looses power, v8 sound awesome, rwd so much better, after a decent full throttle onramp in the a10 mustang I was sold, totally different cars I'm saving money for a mustang in spring, just hope I can get used to an auto, never owned one. Really can't compare, totally different cars, both fun in different ways.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
This is not an apples to apples comparison. If you used a Focus ST or Focus RS as the comparison to the GTI, that's a comparison. Hot hatch to a Mustang is not. I came from a 330whp Fiesta ST and the way the Mustang handles and a hot hatch is totally different. In terms of power, no performance mods and automatic transmission, the Mustang made me smile more than my Fiesta ST. Now with the Whipple Gen V Stage II setup, the fun factor went up, ten fold.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
both mustang felt gutless at low rpm
I hear this, I know it's sort of a "thing", i.e., smaller displacement V8 with high RPM capability, but I can tell you, a properly tuned MY18+ GT, with an A10, in Sport+ mode, and with 3.55 gears does _not_ feel gutless under 4K (even if there is a big power spike over 4K).

I've owned bigger Ci cars (ex: multiple Vettes), I've owned cars that were truly "gutless" under 5K (ex: S2K), and I don't think is as much the case with the newest GTs. Sure, they make a bit less torque at lower RPM vs. say, a 6.4L Charger, but then you can make use of gears and a 7500PM redline :D

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh, side note: been knocking around some crazy ideas about the next ride(s), and one scenario has us with an extra "knock around" car, and been looking at some new Golf GTI (7-speed DSG), seems like a perfect occasional grocery getter / school pickup (if that ever happens again), most just parked option :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
new Golf GTI (7-speed DSG), ... most just parked option
sacrilege! if you're gonna waste the opportunity to drive it, get a Pacifica EV. :)

... calls all VW dealerships in Vilano B "don't sell a lovely GTI to a guy in a mask with 'X' on his forehead" ...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, minivans falls into the "not in this lifetime" for us :D

However, the EV part is not off the table (in fact, it's in the mix with the Golf ... 🤪 )

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
The mk7 2.0 turbo’s are super torquey down low to mid, but fall flat past 5k rpms. It’s always a trade off somewhere. Gen3 does not make max torque until 4600. Again, E85 tune wakes up the low end.
Sponsored