Sponsored

Mixing tires: PS4S front, SC2 rear?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you're basing that off tw values please just stop and learn something about the pointless nature of those values.
I know that TW ratings are based on a government standard and that a manufacturer can be fined if they publish incorrect specs. I would say it's about as good as EPA fuel economy ratings. Yes you might not exactly get that number, but it's a good estimation and point of comparison. If you have a better standard that all manufacturers are following, please let me know.

That's what I was trying to get at, most manufacturers have a different way of rating their tires. You have to compare the ratings to the same manufacturer.
Not true. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&

Yes there are some issues with the comparison and TW ratings are not exact, but that's why I would say a tire with a 180 TW like the Cup 2 is probably pretty similar to the Supercar 3 with 220 TW. They aren't the same I'm sure, but they are more alike than the Supercar 3 is to a 4S Michelin that has a 300 TW rating.

And the flaws in the TW rating system are biggest for long life tires. 7,200 miles is a significant percentage of the total tire life for a Supercar 3 or Cup 2 tire, so those lower ratings are more likely to be accurate and comparable than the rating produced by running a tire with 80,000 mile estimated life for 7,200 miles. Since the test distance is only ~10% of that tire's life, the test becomes less accurate.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hack, we love you man but you're so right you're wrong. TW had good intentions and then the cretins in marketing got their filthy mitts on them.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Thanks for the correction. Just one thing: I would say that the Supercar 3s (220 TW) are more similar to Cup 2 tires (180) than PS4S (300).
Yes, from a performance standpoint, the Goodyear SC3 is nearly comparable in lap times to a Cup 2, but for $600 less per set. And according to the video posted earlier, the SC3 has a better handling feel.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hack, we love you man but you're so right you're wrong. TW had good intentions and then the cretins in marketing got their filthy mitts on them.
Still waiting for you to give me the better alternative.

And please tell me which TW numbers are blatantly incorrect and deserve a government fine for ignoring the regulations.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yes, from a performance standpoint, the Goodyear SC3 is nearly comparable in lap times to a Cup 2, but for $600 less per set. And according to the video posted earlier, the SC3 has a better handling feel.
A bit over .6 seconds in not nearly comparable to those who are serious about tracking. Thats if you trust his testing, on one track. Not meaning to argue here the SC3 seems like a better value by far but, I want to try the 3R

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There's articles out there that go into how the whole system has been perverted.
Sponsored