Sponsored

Mishimoto Oil Separator Review - Only buy if you have hands the size of a 10 year old

OVRKILL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built '91 Land Cruiser, '15 EB PP MT
Pretty much everyone who installs a CC on these cars has trouble getting the line on under the intake manifold. Did you remove the airbox and try to put it on from the front? My UPR install became a 30 minute deal after I realized I should do that.
Sponsored

kosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
So who's in the NJ NY PA area that can install it for me I pay Lmfao ;)

Corfly02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue GT 6spd
I have the mishi cc it took me maybe an hour and a half to install because of the manifold side. After several attempts I found that feeding the longer hose down between the throttle body and the lower radiator hose (where it connects to the water outlet on the block), under the throttle body, then up worked best. I was then able to sort of "roll" the quick disconnect onto the nipple under the intake.
IMG_20150628_195252.jpg
IMG_20150628_200807.jpg

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
mishimoto separator install help

Like you, I bought the Mishimoto catch can and struggled for hours trying to figure out how to route the hoses, particularly the top one. Here's what I suggest and I hope it's helpful. Take the hose that runs from the intake to the catch can. Stand by the driver's fender and hold it so that the connection is at an angle it should be so that the intake side connect is angled at the correct angle. Don't bend the hose and hold it so it says as unbent as possible relative to how it's meant to be bent. You'll notice that once connected, it should go toward the block at a somewhat downward angle, then should turn LEFT 90 degrees and downward. Then it should go through another 90 degree bend and back toward you again for a few inches. That part will be directly under the throttle body when installed properly. Then it will turn 90 degrees and run along the outside of the intake manifole back along the engine toward it's last 90 degree bend which will go up to the catch can. Do not try to mount the hose to the right of the block between the block and the intake manifold where the old hose was connected. That's where I got confused. Start to route the hose underneith the throttle body (catch can end first) toward yourself when your standing along the driver's side fender and keep feeding it til it makes it's first 90 degree turn. When you get it that far, start pulling some more until you get to the second 90 degree turn. Once you're to the second 90 degree turn you can turn the host back toward the fire wall and you will see how it bends up to the catch can automatically. The hose runs along the outside bottom of the intake and you can see it as it goes all the way back. Now you should notice that the intake connection is located so that you can connect it easily. Connect the first connection, noting that the first two quick bends go to the front or left of the intake nipple and you're done. Once I finally figured out that it routed simply under the throttle body and back in plain site to the rear of the engine so it could make another 90 degree bend and right up to the rear "out" port on the catch can and is not routed where the old hose was, it all went together smoothly and easily. Once I got it right I felt like an idiot for having had so much trouble before. Then, get under the car with the rear, bottom, shorter hose and rout it under one cylinder shaped object, running along the driver's side of the engine a few inches from the block (just follow the bends of the pipe and I think you'll see that it pretty well goes just between one thing and the engine at it goes right up to the can. It's rather logical and the only thing it has to be routed between. Hook it onto the nipple which runs along the lower block and you're ready to mount it to the 'in" port of the can, which is toward the front of the car. The two hoses have to crisscross while going up to the can. If mounted correctly you'll notice that Mishimoto expertly placed a little round bend in the middle off the bottom hose to go around the cylinder shaped part that you routed it under. Overall, the bends of those silicon hoses it right on. If I ever want somebody to do some pipe bends for an exhaust or something, I'm calling Mishimoto. Hope this helps. When I got done doing it the first time I felt stupid for having so much trouble and could now probably install one in about 45 minutes. Such are the frustrations of doing something mechinical for the first time without instructions or an experienced assistant.

Sponsored

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I bought the Mishimoto Oil Separator from American Muscle last weekend, and I received it on this last Friday. Last night I pulled the car into the garage and jacked it up, ready to do the advertised "15 minute install".

What a joke.

The instructional video Mishimoto provides online is literally the worst I've ever tried to follow. Its equivalent to "just unhook the connector and then hook the new one in". It doesn't explain where the hoses are supposed to be routed or any techniques for getting things in the right place.

It took me 45 minutes under the car to locate where the stock pcv line plugs into the crank case, plug in the provided hose to this plug, and route it up to the catch can.

Then came getting the catch can to intake manifold line installed, and I just simply couldn't do it. Theres another video with pictures that someone has provided showing how the hose is supposed to be routed once its plugged in, but getting to the plugged in part literally is impossible. I spent 2 hours trying all sorts of different angles to get this hose plugged in, scraping the hell out of my whole right arm reaching under the intake manifold, all to no avail. At 12:30AM I gave up and ripped all the hoses off and reinstalled the stock pcv line in literally 5 minutes flat.

Maybe its because I have giant hands, or maybe its because Mishimoto gives shitty instructions for their products, but now it is $10 to ship this back to American Muscle which puts me in the red for giving this product a try, and I highly suggest none of you follow my footsteps if you're looking for a catch can.
I also have an ecoboost and got the Mishimoto CC. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs and XL gloves. I definitely feel your pain and know what you mean about the video lol. They made it sound so easy. I managed just following the instruction video and sheet and a lot of patience. Unfortunately I don't know how to help you. If you got the stock line off, you know where both ends connect. Then look at instruction sheet and determine which hose is which and the direction the hose goes. Then climb under there, use your scraped up arm and a lot of patience.
Hey guys,

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience when installing our catch can system. We are certainly listening to the feedback regarding the both the difficulty of install as well as any confusion produced by vagueness within our video installation guide.

Although it seems as though you are displeased to the point of returning our kit, we would be more than happy to assist with the install process if you would like to give it another shot. Our team is well versed in removing the factory lines as well as installing our setup. Shoot us a PM if you would be interested in some additional help with this kit.

Again, I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during installation.

-John

I've installed a couple of them, if you change your mind and wanna give it another try shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you.
Thanks for offering to provide assistance!

Pretty much everyone who installs a CC on these cars has trouble getting the line on under the intake manifold. Did you remove the airbox and try to put it on from the front? My UPR install became a 30 minute deal after I realized I should do that.
Great idea! Removing the airbox will provide some additional clearance for accessing and removing the factory lines.

Thanks
-John

SVOv2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 6MT

MagneticEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
I have large hands and did the install in about 25 minutes. Hardest part was my starter was hot from arizona road heat. Real simple in my book. Great product Mishimoto.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

jrpla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I bought the Mishimoto Oil Separator from American Muscle last weekend, and I received it on this last Friday. Last night I pulled the car into the garage and jacked it up, ready to do the advertised "15 minute install".

What a joke.

The instructional video Mishimoto provides online is literally the worst I've ever tried to follow. Its equivalent to "just unhook the connector and then hook the new one in". It doesn't explain where the hoses are supposed to be routed or any techniques for getting things in the right place.

It took me 45 minutes under the car to locate where the stock pcv line plugs into the crank case, plug in the provided hose to this plug, and route it up to the catch can.

Then came getting the catch can to intake manifold line installed, and I just simply couldn't do it. Theres another video with pictures that someone has provided showing how the hose is supposed to be routed once its plugged in, but getting to the plugged in part literally is impossible. I spent 2 hours trying all sorts of different angles to get this hose plugged in, scraping the hell out of my whole right arm reaching under the intake manifold, all to no avail. At 12:30AM I gave up and ripped all the hoses off and reinstalled the stock pcv line in literally 5 minutes flat.

Maybe its because I have giant hands, or maybe its because Mishimoto gives shitty instructions for their products, but now it is $10 to ship this back to American Muscle which puts me in the red for giving this product a try, and I highly suggest none of you follow my footsteps if you're looking for a catch can.

Hi;

I also have the Mishimoto catch can, is not a 5-15 minutes install, it took me around 1 hr to do it.

This video is very helpful: [ame]

It shows how to route the lines.

Make sure to remove your engine cover and air box

Here is my installation:
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg

Sponsored

MagneticEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
I didnt remove the air box. It was tight but that is the way the car was designed. I got the back clip from underneath the car and it was fairly simple. Taking the engine cover off helped but i don't think it was really needed.

klataxes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Great to see I wasn't the only one having installation issues. It was quite difficult to pull out the retaining clips for the stock hose due to limited clearance, and I broke both of them. I ordered a new hose just in case the catch can doesn't pan out (was unable to find just the clips). I did add a 3/8 male/1/4 female brass NPT bushing and 1/4 brass air compressor drain ball valve so I don't have to remove the entire can to drain.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
After being on for 1,000 miles (4,900 to 5,900) I just checked my Mishimoto oil catch can for the first time and after having to take the nuts off my strut tower brace in order to move it out of the way and then having to take the little hex heads screw out of the top of the can so I could turn it to loosen it, revealed what it had caught which was virtually nothing, a good thing I guess.
IMG_8292.JPG

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
They're all a pain in the ass. Try it from underneath the car. That was the only way for me.

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The video from Mishimoto need more detail. I dont think anyone would mind watching a longer video. It took me about 20 mins because my engine was HOT and plus I have small hands :-(. Anyway, the catch can does a great job. I added a check valve to the throttle body line too.
Sponsored