Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just to raise awareness and provide more info for others as I don’t think there’s a centralized S550 thread for this on these forums or any other forum. at least not that I could find. Data on s550 cracked intake manifold runners seems extremely slim as well. I came across 2 threads and probably 2 yt videos that match my symptoms. Intake mani replacement fixed their issues.

I am self diagnosing this issue as I am out of warranty (56k) and I don’t trust dealers.

Same symptoms, misfiring and hesitation in any gear from 1k-2k rpm. Replaced all sparks and gapped them to .050”(by the way, if you haven’t done this, do it. The car is extremely smooth throughout the rev range now where before it would buck and jerk randomly, even with a clean air filter). Replaced coil pack on cylinder 8. Fired the car up and idle reved slowly in the 1-2k range, still same issue. Waiting for funds to buy replacement intake manifold, and that should fix the issue imo. There was no odd coloring or damage on the plugs when I pulled them out at 56k, so no head damage or gasket issues. I also replaced the air filter on the Roush CAI. The thought is that the filter was plugged and the engine needs to get its air from somewhere, adding additional stress to the intake manifold which led to the cracked runner.

So lucky for my over the pond buddies, this isn’t specific to RHD or UK models :(

Hope this helps others!

2015 mustang gt PP, Roush CAI (105MM inlet), ARH 1 7/8” catless headers, borla s-type catback, Lund Flex tune. Rest is visual mods

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Just to raise awareness and provide more info for others as I don’t think there’s a centralized S550 thread for this on these forums or any other forum. at least not that I could find. Data on s550 cracked intake manifold runners seems extremely slim as well. I came across 2 threads and probably 2 yt videos that match my symptoms. Intake mani replacement fixed their issues.

I am self diagnosing this issue as I am out of warranty (56k) and I don’t trust dealers.

Same symptoms, misfiring and hesitation in any gear from 1k-2k rpm. Replaced all sparks and gapped them to .050”(by the way, if you haven’t done this, do it. The car is extremely smooth throughout the rev range now where before it would buck and jerk randomly, even with a clean air filter). Replaced coil pack on cylinder 8. Fired the car up and idle reved slowly in the 1-2k range, still same issue. Waiting for funds to buy replacement intake manifold, and that should fix the issue imo. There was no odd coloring or damage on the plugs when I pulled them out at 56k, so no head damage or gasket issues. I also replaced the air filter on the Roush CAI. The thought is that the filter was plugged and the engine needs to get its air from somewhere, adding additional stress to the intake manifold which led to the cracked runner.

So lucky for my over the pond buddies, this isn’t specific to RHD or UK models :(

Hope this helps others!

2015 mustang gt PP, Roush CAI (105MM inlet), ARH 1 7/8” catless headers, borla s-type catback, Lund Flex tune. Rest is visual mods
sounds like you're having similar issues, i'm surprised Ford isn't aware of this as its a common issue reading posts on the general forum, if you look at S550 mustang misfire vids on YT there are loads of people commenting that they too have this issue. i think in an earlier post there was a vid to why they fail and there were about 63 people saying they had issues

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Just a little update, I rang up to check how long the insurance was on the courtesy car but they said they have extended for another week as they're having "issues" with the part/car :rant: :frusty::frusty:

If it is another week they'll have had it 3 weeks! :tsk:

Is there any compensation I should start thinking about?

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I’m not sure what issues they would have had, it’s a bolt and go type fix. I’d run down there and get a physical breakdown of the issue unless you already know what it is.

Some things I think it could be: s550 oem intake manis crack or break during shipping(hope they ordered more than one). The stress test after installation broke something. Something was damaged during removal/installation (injectors/rails maybe)

As to why ford is seemingly unaware of the scale of the issue, no idea. I assume a lot of people aren’t bringing them in, or dealerships are keying in the issues/fixes differently. Globally if there’s around 100ish-500ish or so failures that are documented online from 15-17 I could see why ford doesn’t really care. The issue just isn’t as large as door latches or airbag problems.

Chatting with my uncle, ford is notorious for having weak factory manifolds, so he wasn’t surprised when we looked at it

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Spoke to ford today... :tsk::tsk:

They can't locate the part is what they've told me... :frusty:

On the positive they've told me they're giving me a better car in lieu of this... When/if I get it will be another matter

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
send them a link to levittown ford parts they'll have it on their door within a week

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford phoned today to tell me they were putting me in a hire car, now that this is the case he said the powers that be would pull their finger out as they're paying for the hire rather than the courtesy car. On the plus its going to be a Mondeo so better than a KA

The saga continues... 4 weeks and counting.

I'm gonna demand some servicing as it's not right I'm paying finance for a KA at the moment... :tsk:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ford phoned today to tell me they were putting me in a hire car, now that this is the case he said the powers that be would pull their finger out as they're paying for the hire rather than the courtesy car. On the plus its going to be a Mondeo so better than a KA

The saga continues... 4 weeks and counting.

I'm gonna demand some servicing as it's not right I'm paying finance for a KA at the moment... :tsk:

Ford finance should repay your finance whilst it's in for extended warranty work.

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford finance should repay your finance whilst it's in for extended warranty work.
Mines through Lloyds I phoned them they said they could investigate but would only pay if they could find that the fault was present or developing during the time I bought the car... Not sure where I stand with that one or how I could prove it...

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mines through Lloyds I phoned them they said they could investigate but would only pay if they could find that the fault was present or developing during the time I bought the car... Not sure where I stand with that one or how I could prove it...
Ford will have a sheet for when the car arrived with them, that'll show date you went in and left. But ford should pay you back

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna enquire tomorrow, they tried to palm a fiesta off on me today :lol::lol::lol:

I said no unless it was an ST...

they're going to source me a better one for tomorrow afternoon.. :lol:

fya67k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 'TY' Mustang GT, and it's here!
Yes in Vegas!
The part 's came quickly and the Service people know their product, unlike the majority of Ford representatives we all see here in the UK.
I've been away so hence delay in reply.

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
They've given me a ford edge, which is nice but still not mustang...

Still no update I asked if there's anyone I can speak to, they gave me the number for Ford customer relations... I'll have to see what they say for themselves...