MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Pulling the heads huh. That sucks man. Surprised they didnt try a bore scope first or something. Try and go talk to the actual mechanic performing all the labor. You might have to go up there but you would get a lot more info than whats being passed by the service rep. Good Luck. The 2018 Coyote is so new that Ford has a ton of parts on back order so hopefully whatever parts you need doesn't get slowed down by that.
I was wondering that too actually. That might not show they much, but certainly less invasive.

I just read [MENTION=33633]17LightningGT[/MENTION]'s thread and it filled me with equal measures hope & dread.
Sponsored

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry to see you running into this on your new ride. Appreciate you documenting your unfortunate journey here. Hope the biggest issue with mine is the dinged bumper.

OP
OP
MaxHedrm

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to see you running into this on your new ride. Appreciate you documenting your unfortunate journey here. Hope the biggest issue with mine is the dinged bumper.
What's funny is that I worry less about the mechanical stuff than stuff like body work & repainting. :)

OP
OP
MaxHedrm

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Talked to the service writer this morning.

Current diagnosis:
Something is preventing one exhaust valve on Cyl 4 from closing. (I guess they got the borescope out.) That could explain the cylinder fouling, since all the fuel for Cyl 4 was probably being forced back into some of the other cylinders.

Next steps:
They are going to have to pull the head now to determine what is preventing the valve from closing. Woo---hoo. They hope to be able to order whatever parts they need today.

I politely emphasized my frustration today that I bought the car a week ago and have only had use of it for 24 hours. At least I'm not paying interest on it yet, they didn't even contact my bank until Tuesday.

If I have time today, I may call Ford, just to make sure I get a case number.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sounds like it popped a valve spring and dropped valve below head (hopefully not into cylinder) .... seems to be an issue with the 2018 5.0, as there’s similar posts on here that have resulted in such findings.

DEFINITELY contact Ford and get a Case # going - don’t even hesitate!!!

Sponsored

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
Yup I hate to say it but my money is on the valve retainer... sorry to hear MaxHedrm

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Damn, imagine if that had happened on the test drive instead! 50 miles difference between walking away clean and having to deal with this clusterfuck, so sorry.

My 2018 GT is also riddled with tons of issues.

OP
OP
MaxHedrm

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They say it retracts partially, but doesn't close completely. So it seems non-catestrphic at least.

I only waited this long to call because I wanted a diagnosis before calling. :-/

OP
OP
MaxHedrm

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Called Ford. That was an amusing conversation. :) But I have a case number and should hear from a Regional Manager in a business day.

LightningBlueGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Not crazy about the fact that I’m seeing so many engine issues (and other miscellaneous issues) on this board as I am still waiting to pick mine up.

Trying to remind myself to take it all with a grain of salt and that it makes sense that people would be more likely to share this info on a mustang message board.

The mental checklist of stuff to look at when I finally am able to even test drive my car is getting long, though.

Sponsored

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Damn, imagine if that had happened on the test drive instead! 50 miles difference between walking away clean and having to deal with this clusterfuck, so sorry.

My 2018 GT is also riddled with tons of issues.
What kind of troubles are you experiencing?

8317huynh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 magnetic GT premium with PP
I had the same problem before!!! My is a 2016GT however, it might help.

It is an intake manifold.
[ame]

Just check it out!!! it may help.
Good luck!

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 18 GT is at the dealer too, with backordered parts a month or more out. Tell the case rep that you want your car payments taken care of and if they end up with your car for a month or more for repairs they will make it.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
My 18 GT is at the dealer too, with backordered parts a month or more out. Tell the case rep that you want your car payments taken care of and if they end up with your car for a month for repairs they will make it.
What's yours in for?

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
I had the same problem before!!! My is a 2016GT however, it might help.

It is a intake

Just check it out!!! it may help.
Good luck!
Interesting thanks. First time I have seen or heard about a shaft failling. Must be very rare!
Sponsored