Minimal drop springs: BMR vs Steeda

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I have the Steeda Minimum Drop Springs with FP track shock/strut kit. I really like it and have no issues. I run square 255/40/19 AS tires though with ET 35 19x9 (Stock Engine)

DSC_3712.JPG
DSC_3713.JPG
Did you measure before and after to see exactly how much front and rear drop you got?
Sponsored

Sigster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Well I installed the J&M min drop springs today and am not happy. The listing for them says "average drop 0.5 inches", but my front dropped 7/8" and rear 3/8". I think the front looks too low now, and am concerned about possibly having rubbing issues with the tires. Emailed them asking for advice on their website contact form. Wonder if I can just stack 3/8” of washers over each of the 3 studs under the mounting surface to raise the car up? Here are before and after pics...

Stock Height.JPG
J&M installed.JPG
I think the after pic looks really nice. The key is - how does it drive now? Do you like the handling (hopefully) improvement?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I think the after pic looks really nice. The key is - how does it drive now? Do you like the handling (hopefully) improvement?
Actually it's really hard to drive now, it feels like I'm riding a wild bull. I expected a firm/harsh ride but it feels like it's bouncing all over the place like a ship on the ocean. Installed used rear Steeda pro-action shocks that I bought from a 6G member who has very admirably agreed to take them back for a refund in case they are starting to wear out.

*UPDATE* It was the shocks, they were worn out. Put the stock PP1 shocks back in and now it rides and handles great. Gonna have to raise the front though, with PP2 wheels and 295/35's up front I am rubbing when the suspension compresses.

Last edited:

Gojr47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Did you measure before and after to see exactly how much front and rear drop you got?
I didn't take measurements. I do think the front drop is more than 0.5 inches though. I had BMR SP080 springs before which have a 0.5 and 1.2 inch rear and front drop. The rear looks about the same but I was expecting the front to rise more. I still like the stance.

I have them paired with Bilstein shocks and struts and the car rides better than my old setup of the BMR springs and Steeda pro action fixed dampers.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have never liked progressive springs, I had Eibachs on my TA back in the day and they were so soft at first then would be bouncing like they were too stiff. I will take a linear spring all day.... thats what the factory springs are anyway.

The Eibach Pro kit for the Mustang, even in the initial compression the spring weights are already quite a bit higher than the other linear springs.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well I installed the J&M min drop springs today and am not happy. The listing for them says "average drop 0.5 inches", but my front dropped 7/8" and rear 3/8". I think the front looks too low now, and am concerned about possibly having rubbing issues with the tires. Emailed them asking for advice on their website contact form. Wonder if I can just stack 3/8” of washers over each of the 3 studs under the mounting surface to raise the car up? Here are before and after pics...

Stock Height.JPG
J&M installed.JPG

I think the key word there Mike was "average" :D. Shit that could mean one car is .75" and the other is .25". Car still looks awesome though. I also don't think the Steeda just drops the front .5". From the photos it looks more in the .75" range. I'm about ready to go down this road as well, right now leaning toward the Steeda min kit.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The Eibach Pro kit for the Mustang, even in the initial compression the spring weights are already quite a bit higher than the other linear springs.
My understanding is that the Eibach ProKit springs are linear at 200F/800R, it’s their supplied bump stops that add the “progressive” touch.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I think the key word there Mike was "average" :D. Shit that could mean one car is .75" and the other is .25".
Yeah when I first went back and re-read their web page and saw "average" I knew I was hosed...I emailed J&M and they said pretty much the same thing you did. Well like one other member did I ordered the Steeda front spacer kit and am planning on just using two of the four spacers on each side to raise the front from a 7/8" drop to a 5/8" drop to see what happens. With the offsets of the PP2 wheels I'm getting rubbing when the car bottoms out in potholes. Will probably be posting the rest of the kit that I don't use for sale for someone else if they want to do the same thing.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I think you're reading too much into "average". They can't give you an exact answer in terms of drop because there are too many variables. Car model, manufacturing tolerances (Ford & J&M), engine & transmission combo, etc. are all going to come into play affecting the new ride height.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I think you're reading too much into "average". They can't give you an exact answer in terms of drop because there are too many variables. Car model, manufacturing tolerances (Ford & J&M), engine & transmission combo, etc. are all going to come into play affecting the new ride height.
Not sure I agree with that...almost every other spring listing on any website gives exact drops. J&M's site is the first one that I ever saw "average". Sounds to me more like J&M has a wide tolerance on their manufacturing process for the spring heights.

That said, so far I love how the car handles with the increased spring rates of the J&M's. Steeda is taking forever to ship their front spacer kit, I need that to raise the front end up before I get an alignment. Starting to hear a faint howling noise from the passenger front wheel area, hope it's not a wheel bearing.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I could be wrong, but I've probably changed springs 1000 or more times over the years. Even with very high quality springs it's never exact.

Neither are the spring rates, BTW.

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
Steeda minimal drop springs with non adjustable steeda shocks. The rear is 0 camber, wheels 19" TSW Bathurst with stock size performance pack Michelin tires. The rear suspension is all Steeda with solid bushings and camber arms. Very happy with the way it turned out. Steeda's customer service has been great with dealing with the mix up in spring rates. I'm extremely happy. Once the Whipple goes on the front should come down a tick more and sit perfect and hook great on the street when I switch to the new Nitto nt555r2 drag radials in 275/40r19.
Screenshot_20200613-181822_Gallery.jpg

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Steeda Minimum Drop Springs with FP track shock/strut kit. I really like it and have no issues. I run square 255/40/19 AS tires though with ET 35 19x9 (Stock Engine)

DSC_3712.JPG
DSC_3713.JPG
OT I know... but where did you get the Continental caliper decals?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
OT I know... but where did you get the Continental caliper decals?
Some sellers on etsy sell custom high temp brake decals and you just submit a desired size and a design or logo to them.
Sponsored