Sponsored

mileage daily driving supercharger

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Jackson, my friend, I respect your mechanical prowess deeply but I'm afraid you have this one mistaken. You don't have to believe me on the issue. A couple hundred years of Thermodynamics and every gas turbine cogeneration unit powering our grid proves it to be true that the energy in gases exists almost completely as a function of it's temperature, not its pressure. The first time I was taught this, I doubted it as well but later learned [again] that it is undoubtedly true.

The force from expanding exhaust pushes the turbine of a turbo not heat.
Consider the common gas turbines located all across the country used to drive generators. Their operating principal is what's called the Brayton cycle, as opposed to the Otto cycle we know and love. The Brayton cycle compresses air from ambient up to 100-200 psi, then combusts fuel, which adds heat at constant pressure, unlike the Otto cycle. This hot gas then expands through a turbine back down to ambient pressure. The turbine produces 1.5x more power than the compressor absorbs even though the mass flow and pressures across them are virtually identical. How could the turbine produce 1.5x more power than the compressor absorbs if the working pressures pushing the blades are the same? The answer is heat. The compressor only adds about 500 deg F when it compresses the air, but the turbine removes over 1000 deg F.

What further proves that heat is the driver is the way that cogeneration works, where the exhaust gas of the turbine is 1000 deg F but near ambient pressure. If pressure did the work, it would be all done at this point because there is no pressure left. However, the hot gas is then used to heat water into steam that goes on to do more work. Furthermore, the steam pressure was added by a boiler feedwater pump that takes very little power to drive, but the steam has much higher potential to do work than its boiler feedwater because it had heat added to it.

You can not determine the power produced by the mass flow of a working gas by looking at the pressures alone, but you can determine it by looking at the temperatures alone.

Please forgive my horrible explanation, as I would make a poor instructor.

So your theory is the exhaust valve opens and hot air exits the cylinder strictly because of heat?
No, it exits the cylinder because of the pressure. It's also not doing work at this time. Please understand that gas doing work is very different from a gas simply flowing.

the heat then turns the turbine?
Yes.

so it has nothing to do with this huge explosion that you just contained and all the gases expanding with nowhere to go except into the exhaust and through the turbine?
It has everything to do with the combusting fuel because that is the mechanism by which heat is added to the working gases. Heat can be added at a constant volume (Otto cycle) or constant pressure (Diesel and Brayton cycles). There are many more and I find the Atkinson cycle to be interesting because our Mustangs actually use some level of simulated Atkinson cycle at light loads to improve efficiency. This is what I was referring to earlier when discussing how aftermarket SC calibrations sacrifice some of this Atkinson effect.

... when the exhaust valve opens these gases are nowhere near done expanding so they continue to expand in the exhaust system.
Technically, on an NA engine, there is typically still 50-100 psi of pressure in the cylinder when IVO occurs. This blows down to near ambient soon after BDC. If your exhaust system is half-decent, not much expansion occurs after the first 20-30 deg after EVO. With a turbine, you basically set up 2 stages of expansion to extract more energy from the heat of the exhaust gas.

I’ve seen back pressure of up to double the boost pressure. on a race car with a $50,000 turbo systemMaybe you can get closer to what you’re talking about.
I completely agree on both counts, but you're implying that you can defy the laws of thermodynamics if you spend enough money, which of course isn't true. You can achieve less drive pressure than boost if you size the engine, turbocharger, and piping system with that goal (and don't mind terrible lag). The simple fact that drive pressure-less-than-boost is possible and has been demonstrated proves that the heat is doing the work.

more power means more energy output per second, and the law of conservation of energy means you have to put more energy in as well, so you must burn correspondingly more fuel.
The law of conservation of energy means that 100% of the heat of combustion of the fuel must go somewhere. Some is used to spin the crank, some heats the water, and a lot goes out the exhaust pipe. If we are talking about WOT of a turbocharger vs a supercharger, then less heat goes out the tail pipe because it is used to spin the turbine, and more goes to the crankshaft. As a result, for any given amount of fuel, the turbocharged combination can produce more power. I can't help but notice that the turbocharged coyotes typically make the same power as SC but they do it at a few psi less boost, or make up to 100 more hp at the same boost. I've actually converted a prior car from SC to TC myself and gained about 100 hp at the same boost level even at a 2:1 drive pressure:boost ratio.

In theory, that means an engine with a turbocharger is no more fuel efficient than one without. But it doesn’t always work out that way. 2013 study, by Consumer Reports, found small turbocharged engines giving significantly worse fuel economy than naturally aspirated Engines.
Are we comparing TC vs NA? If so, it would be silly to think that adding a turbocharger to an NA engine could improve mileage because of the throttle valve. You can actually use a turbocharger to improve mileage on a diesel if it's sized appropriately because the cold side compressed air can reduce pumping losses on the intake stroke.

So like I said I would be interested to see just how much fuel consumption difference there are between supercharged and turbocharged
I still maintain that the calibration is much more influential than the compressor drive mechanism because neither are doing much at light load. I haven't had the opportunity to pick apart a turbo Coyote calibration, to know if they retain more stock-like cam timing, spark timing, IMRC function, and shift points. The supercharged cals look like they spent little to no time worrying about efficiency.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I get about 14 mpg around town with my Procharger D1x on 93 octane + octane booster. My car before this was an n/a build, with stage 3 cams gt-350 intake and throttle body circle-d 5c converter headers and a flex-fuel tune with e-90. It got 12 mpg...fuel mileage goes out the window with performance cars..

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking the same too about Supercharging. My car is N/A with no mods just a cat-back and gets me 14 mpg avg for my M-F commute which is mainly city. I would say it would probably drop perhaps 1-2 for a positive displacement cause I cant drive faster during my commute. The more I feel it may depend on a daily drivers environment, I think superchargers would benefit more in efficiency for those who commute mostly highway? I think mainly having to drive through city streets on a daily basis, I should stick to N/A.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I was thinking the same too about Supercharging. My car is N/A with no mods just a cat-back and gets me 14 mpg avg for my M-F commute which is mainly city. I would say it would probably drop perhaps 1-2 for a positive displacement cause I cant drive faster during my commute. The more I feel it may depend on a daily drivers environment, I think superchargers would benefit more in efficiency for those who commute mostly highway? I think mainly having to drive through city streets on a daily basis, I should stick to N/A.
Nope, you should buy a used Honda civic to daily, and put the boosts on the Mustang.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, you should buy a used Honda civic to daily, and put the boosts on the Mustang.
The mustang is my car and it is what I chose to drive daily and do not have room for another car anyway :p

Sponsored

YBLEHSGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Shelby
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 18 GT350R with a forged bottom 5.2 that shows off 903hp.
I have 20,000 miles and when we take it on cruises or events - sensible driving rewards me with near 21 on the highway in 6th with the cruise on traveling at 70mph - my overall lifetime is 16.6 but when I am abusing it, 10mpg

no mechanicals either -not a single issue

CB9F91C2-70EF-411F-A5D9-65DF91500FD8.jpeg

87A857D2-4FD4-429E-A695-9069164BAEA5.jpeg

44804D44-1B3B-4BBA-A148-7B95A3F9D39B.jpeg

15CB2464-C04A-4F5B-AC1F-A4F6F5CF7DF2.jpeg

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
With a supercharger it would be impossible to determine your mileage drop as everything is subjective to what other mods you have. Say you have 4.10 gears and are cruising at 70 then the supercharger would be spinning faster and require more fuel. While a 3.15 will consume less fuel obviously. Really if you’re concerned about fuel mileage a supercharger might not be for you.

I noticed you’ve asked a lot of questions about supercharging the car and are unsure. Why not start out with smaller mods if you don’t have them yet such as headers intakes tune suspension wheels and tires first and see if that’s enough power for you then if it’s not enough consider boost.
I don’t think op is looking for a 100% exact number of how much fuel mileage will change. I think it’s a valid point to consider when supercharging. The change might be more than you are willing to except. Better to have some idea now before you can’t back out

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Jackson, my friend, I respect your mechanical prowess deeply but I'm afraid you have this one mistaken. You don't have to believe me on the issue. A couple hundred years of Thermodynamics and every gas turbine cogeneration unit powering our grid proves it to be true that the energy in gases exists almost completely as a function of it's temperature, not its pressure. The first time I was taught this, I doubted it as well but later learned [again] that it is undoubtedly true.

Consider the common gas turbines located all across the country used to drive generators. Their operating principal is what's called the Brayton cycle, as opposed to the Otto cycle we know and love. The Brayton cycle compresses air from ambient up to 100-200 psi, then combusts fuel, which adds heat at constant pressure, unlike the Otto cycle. This hot gas then expands through a turbine back down to ambient pressure. The turbine produces 1.5x more power than the compressor absorbs even though the mass flow and pressures across them are virtually identical. How could the turbine produce 1.5x more power than the compressor absorbs if the working pressures pushing the blades are the same? The answer is heat. The compressor only adds about 500 deg F when it compresses the air, but the turbine removes over 1000 deg F.

What further proves that heat is the driver is the way that cogeneration works, where the exhaust gas of the turbine is 1000 deg F but near ambient pressure. If pressure did the work, it would be all done at this point because there is no pressure left. However, the hot gas is then used to heat water into steam that goes on to do more work. Furthermore, the steam pressure was added by a boiler feedwater pump that takes very little power to drive, but the steam has much higher potential to do work than its boiler feedwater because it had heat added to it.

You can not determine the power produced by the mass flow of a working gas by looking at the pressures alone, but you can determine it by looking at the temperatures alone.

Please forgive my horrible explanation, as I would make a poor instructor.

No, it exits the cylinder because of the pressure. It's also not doing work at this time. Please understand that gas doing work is very different from a gas simply flowing.

Yes.

It has everything to do with the combusting fuel because that is the mechanism by which heat is added to the working gases. Heat can be added at a constant volume (Otto cycle) or constant pressure (Diesel and Brayton cycles). There are many more and I find the Atkinson cycle to be interesting because our Mustangs actually use some level of simulated Atkinson cycle at light loads to improve efficiency. This is what I was referring to earlier when discussing how aftermarket SC calibrations sacrifice some of this Atkinson effect.

Technically, on an NA engine, there is typically still 50-100 psi of pressure in the cylinder when IVO occurs. This blows down to near ambient soon after BDC. If your exhaust system is half-decent, not much expansion occurs after the first 20-30 deg after EVO. With a turbine, you basically set up 2 stages of expansion to extract more energy from the heat of the exhaust gas.

I completely agree on both counts, but you're implying that you can defy the laws of thermodynamics if you spend enough money, which of course isn't true. You can achieve less drive pressure than boost if you size the engine, turbocharger, and piping system with that goal (and don't mind terrible lag). The simple fact that drive pressure-less-than-boost is possible and has been demonstrated proves that the heat is doing the work.

The law of conservation of energy means that 100% of the heat of combustion of the fuel must go somewhere. Some is used to spin the crank, some heats the water, and a lot goes out the exhaust pipe. If we are talking about WOT of a turbocharger vs a supercharger, then less heat goes out the tail pipe because it is used to spin the turbine, and more goes to the crankshaft. As a result, for any given amount of fuel, the turbocharged combination can produce more power. I can't help but notice that the turbocharged coyotes typically make the same power as SC but they do it at a few psi less boost, or make up to 100 more hp at the same boost. I've actually converted a prior car from SC to TC myself and gained about 100 hp at the same boost level even at a 2:1 drive pressure:boost ratio.

Are we comparing TC vs NA? If so, it would be silly to think that adding a turbocharger to an NA engine could improve mileage because of the throttle valve. You can actually use a turbocharger to improve mileage on a diesel if it's sized appropriately because the cold side compressed air can reduce pumping losses on the intake stroke.

I still maintain that the calibration is much more influential than the compressor drive mechanism because neither are doing much at light load. I haven't had the opportunity to pick apart a turbo Coyote calibration, to know if they retain more stock-like cam timing, spark timing, IMRC function, and shift points. The supercharged cals look like they spent little to no time worrying about efficiency.
I think it’s time to agree to disagree

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I get around 30-31 mpg on highway trips at sweet spot of 75 mph on a flat highway. so I am not seeing any supercharged cars keeping that though for a mild mannered cross country trip while avoiding tickets :p

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I can average 18mpg being gentle with E85 and 18lbs of boost on a whipple.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Fuel economy, what the hell is that?

signed Boosthead...

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey guys , so because my car is my daily driver, I'm just wondering what the drop is in mileage when you install a supercharger? Also I've heard that is centrifugal superchargers give you nearly the same mileage? Is this true? Are there differences in mileage with different types of superchargers?
On cruise, I averaged 28 MPG HWY and about 18 City, Now I'm about 20 HWY, 15 City.
Off cruise I get about 22 HWY I can shift the gears to keep it out of boost if I so choose to do so.

Major differences, 1 the stoichiometric level in the tune is richer on 93 with 10% ethanol it should be 14.1:1 ratio, I remember when I was stock it would hover around 15:1 unless I was under load.

also, if you're supercharged you're not worried about gas mileage. your car will be legitimately fast as you'll want to experience it. Commuting it would be second.
Sponsored