Sponsored

mileage daily driving supercharger

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
see posts like this confuse me . so you say the car almost feels like it loses power if not in boost ? is superchThing
Yes it is confusing. A supercharger is never off boost since it runs off the crankshaft which is obviously always spinning. So as soon as you hit the accelerator there’s boost, unlike a turbocharger. Even the centrifugals will have a little boost.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Yes it is confusing. A supercharger is never off boost since it runs off the crankshaft which is obviously always spinning. So as soon as you hit the accelerator there’s boost, unlike a turbocharger. Even the centrifugals will have a little boost.
Say what? A centrifugal will not make 1lb of boost until you get it spinning high enough to over come the minimum amount of air the engine is consuming and get into positive pressure.
If your at a stop light and hammer down on your centrifugal you have absolutely 000000 boost I don’t care how much you hope and pray.
If you want boost off idle with a centrifugal you better have a couple scuba tanks hooked up to your intake

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Every time I fill up from just driving around town, the mileage to empty is usually not more than 195. I'm guessing that is not a very good mpg :). I know I could look at the dash or use a calculator to compute.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My 14 Shelby went from 17 to 14

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
These discussions are fun, but in the end useless.

I've never known a single person who thought about adding a blower who talked themselves out of it over fuel economy.

Other than simply knowing the adverse affects, it's not going to change anyone's mind about running the blower.

Superchargers take energy to function, so even when it's not producing additional airflow and power, it's drawing away from the motor.

Also as pointed out previously, the additional power begs to be driven spiritedly which also destroys fuel economy.

I don't even pay attention to fuel economy in my mustang anymore, because, what's the point? It ain't gonna change anything. I know it's bad, and outside the issue of wanting to know how much range I can get out of a tank of fuel, there's little point in the actual number.

If there ever was an an example of "it is what it is" this is it.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Whipple stage 2 on 91 with the whipple tune nets me about 13 city, 20 highway. If you drive like a gorilla, sub 10 city, easily.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Basically what Angrey said. If fuel economy is really on your mind with a supercharger set up, centrifugal is going to be more "friendly". These take less than the typical 20% parasitic loss of the positive displacement superchargers and due to the fact that the car isn't in boost until the mid-range it isn't dumping the extra fuel yet either. I've spoken with customers that have said their highway mileage is still in the low to mid 20's which is otherwise stock.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey guys , so because my car is my daily driver, I'm just wondering what the drop is in mileage when you install a supercharger? Also I've heard that is centrifugal superchargers give you nearly the same mileage? Is this true? Are there differences in mileage with different types of superchargers?
It will decrease a bit after you install the blower but it all comes down to how you drive the car. Expect a decrease of about 4-5mpg.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
It all depends on how you drive it.
This x 100000000000000000

I installed a P1x HO in July. Prior to it, I would get 20-22 mixed cty/hwy. The first 2 months were around 17, because....well, it's a blast to drive. The last few weeks, I've been more conservative and am getting 20-21.

Only mods are Gibson catback. 91 octane for now.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
This x 100000000000000000

I installed a P1x HO in July. Prior to it, I would get 20-22 mixed cty/hwy. The first 2 months were around 17, because....well, it's a blast to drive. The last few weeks, I've been more conservative and am getting 20-21.

Only mods are Gibson catback. 91 octane for now.
There you have it. Don't fear the boost, it's more than manageable if you're capable.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Interesting note, I'm researching installing the versus rear diffuser. The rakes have been reported to increase fuel economy roughly 2 mpg for highway driving (rough field testing).

Cleaning up the rear air of the car a bit helps with cruising drag. So if you want to put back the couple of mpg you lose from the blower (for long sustained speed cruises) then adding a good diffuser with ample strakes might be the ticket.

Of course at a cost of about $550, and fuel at roughly $2.20, you'd need to save about 250 gallons of fuel before you reach break even. (or 5,000 miles)

That means at 2 miles for roughly every 20, you'll break even at about the 50k mile odometer mark:)

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
I have a 3.0 Whipple SC on my 2018 and average around 20-22mpg on the highway at cruising speeds (75/82mph).
Even around town I have hardly cracked below 13mpg.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
My 2014 gt500 with a 3.2 kb, 5 inch inlet, huge tb, headers, 3.73s and 800 rwhp gets 18ish mpg on the highway and I daily drive it. If your coyote can't match that then change tune companies.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The parasitic drag for roots vs centrif is totally different. A screw or roots blower with an appropriately sized bypass valve will take very near zero power to spin at cruise and, thus, should not affect mileage much. A centrif with an open bypass valve allows the compressor to run at end-of-curve which would normally take a lot of power to turn, but at low rpm it reduces accordingly. If that were the only factor, I would expect a PD blower to get better mileage at cruise.

Under boost, all bets are off. However, if you accelerate to a set speed with 850 vs 460 hp you’ll use almost the same amount of fuel since 850 gets there so much sooner and stays at wot for less time.

However, one thing that is significant is that all of the supercharged mustang cals I’ve looked at give up much of the stock cam timing used to maximize mileage. The stock cal retards the cams 40-50 deg from “0” at cruise to maximize expansion ratio and minimize dynamic compression ratio. This extracts more energy out of the combusted gases and also reduces pumping losses on the intake side. Aftermarket Supercharged cals seems to not go past about 30 deg retard, if that. Furthermore, the PD blowers delete the CMCV, so they require more spark advance at cruise which hurts efficiency. And finally, there are well over 50 spark timing tables in the PCM and stock has them calibrated to 4 significant figures after probably thousands of hours on the dyno finding MBT and borderline knock timing at nearly a thousand possible combination of cam timing, load, and speed. Do we really think any SC manufacturer would spend the money it takes to perfect all that for a group of people who largely don’t care much about mileage? Not likely.

Ive spent a ton of time calibrating cam positions, spark tables and shift points and probably got my mileage to within 10% of stock. With the supplied cal it was probably down 20%.

One last point is the epa mileage of various NA and supercharged cars:

This is ford vs roush cals:
2020 gt: 19
2020 roush stage3: 14
2020 f150 5.0: 19
2020 roush f150: 13

This is dodge oem cals:
2020 challenger 6.4: 18
2020 hellcat: 16

Ford oem cals:
2020 gt350: 16
2020 gt500: 14

You can see that the supercharged version with an oem cal lost much less than aftermarket calibration.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hey guys , so because my car is my daily driver, I'm just wondering what the drop is in mileage when you install a supercharger? Also I've heard that is centrifugal superchargers give you nearly the same mileage? Is this true? Are there differences in mileage with different types of superchargers?
Here's a pretty good read for you.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/04...percharger will do,produce good low-RPM power.

Both options will decrease your mileage. If you want the most efficient forced induction, run turbos.
Sponsored