Sponsored

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the rain?

veeATE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm getting the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires installed on my car later this week. We all know the Michelin PSS is known for having excellent grip and all.

I'm from California and most of the time the weather is nice, but from time to time a few times a year it will rain, so I'm interested to know how well these tires hold up in the rain as they are rated as summer tires.

Anyone have experience with this? How is traction and how do these tires hold up in the rain? My car is my DD, and I don't want to be changing out my tires everytime it rains as it doesn't rain enough in California to justify that.

Sponsored

FR500GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saleen
I live in CA and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my FAVORITE tire regardless of weather/road condition. I've used them for DD as well as high speed road course events and they are a very well balanced tire. Of course, the high cost reflects this :D

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
I live in CA and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my FAVORITE tire regardless of weather/road condition. I've used them for DD as well as high speed road course events and they are a very well balanced tire. Of course, the high cost reflects this :D
What does Saleen use on their recent vehicles? At one time they used Generals exclusively (Michelin's at about 450.00 a pop they better be damned good)!

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I have the SS currently on my '06 S/C GTO (500/450) and they are awesome! They are good in the wet, the 3 or 4 times I got stuck in a downpour, but I also did slow down alot and was easy on the throttle during that time, too....lol. Just drive "normal" in the wet and then enjoy the "awesome" on the dry!!

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
They are EXCELLENT in the rain and are probably the best street tire for all conditions (except snow) which is why they are OEM equipped on some of the best performance cars on the market.

Check out tire rack's review and how they stack up but I love them.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
The Michelin PSS are amazing tires

Only issues I have ran into is when its gotten chilly here in So Cal 40 degrees and slightly wet they have slipped and don't grip as much.

The best of both worlds is the Michelin A/S 3 tires

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The Michelin PSS are amazing tires

Only issues I have ran into is when its gotten chilly here in So Cal 40 degrees and slightly wet they have slipped and don't grip as much.

The best of both worlds is the Michelin A/S 3 tires
Agreed. I have even driven with them when its freezing or a little below over here in the NE and they are a little dicey when cold, but after they are warmed up they are much better.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I have even driven with them when its freezing or a little below over here in the NE and they are a little dicey when cold, but after they are warmed up they are much better.
NE is a different world Im born and raised in New Britain, CT I know how the roads get there when fall and winter hit lol.

Wake up in the morning and you see a ton of snow in the driveway and the ice on the road :frusty:

I swapped my setups to pure winter tires Blizaks are golden in the snow and ice.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
NE is a different world Im born and raised in New Britain, CT I know how the roads get there when fall and winter hit lol.

Wake up in the morning and you see a ton of snow in the driveway and the ice on the road :frusty:

I swapped my setups to pure winter tires Blizaks are golden in the snow and ice.
If my car sees ice or snow it refuses to start...lol! I haven't even driven it while the roads are wet and salty during the winter. Luckily for me I am able to walk to work and most everything I need is within walking distance during the winter.
If/when I get the 'Stang in the spring, (after I sell the GTO) I probably will save up for winter tires.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
If my car sees ice or snow it refuses to start...lol! I haven't even driven it while the roads are wet and salty during the winter. Luckily for me I am able to walk to work and most everything I need is within walking distance during the winter.
If/when I get the 'Stang in the spring, (after I sell the GTO) I probably will save up for winter tires.
Thats luck man, I had to drive everywhere.

Definitely on the right track with the winter tire idea.

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
lots of good info about the op question in

here

beers

TurboAg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP 6MT
I had them on my 135i and it felt like they had more grip in the rain than previous tire (Bridgestone Potenza) on a dry road...

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
I had them on my 135i and it felt like they had more grip in the rain than previous tire (Bridgestone Potenza) on a dry road...
They will have grip, however depending on how cold the road conditions are the grip begins to diminish.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
PSS great tires and my favorite. You won't be disappointed. They'll be spooned on, right after these P0 s are scrubbed off.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
PSS is an awesome tire. I think that they are much better than the pirellis.
Sponsored