2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Wow. Big $$ for bald tires lol.
Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
R compounds are super glue on the track, miss my Corsa R comps I had on the Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Wow. Big $$ for bald tires lol.
Yea the R spec wheels need to show up soon. The PSC2s are about $500/set more than R7s and not quite as sticky. Will be a limiting factor on the number of events I'll run. There's a NASA event at RA third week of May I'd like to hit for Time Trials, but not sure I want to wreck a set of PSC2s every weekend.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yes, tires are going to close the gap but people are forgetting about a couple things.

Boss302s...GT500s...all had specific ABS/stability control specs. I'm certain the R, with it's sticky tires, is going to have it's own ABS and now, Magenride calibration meant to take advantage of those tires. Someone should spend some time figuring out how to bring the R calibrations for these over to the non-R - that's going to allow you to take more advantage of that new rubber and lighter-than-stock wheels. The FR500 ABS module was popular for this reason, it took into account the grippy'er tires.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Yes, tires are going to close the gap but people are forgetting about a couple things.

Boss302s...GT500s...all had specific ABS/stability control specs. I'm certain the R, with it's sticky tires, is going to have it's own ABS and now, Magenride calibration meant to take advantage of those tires. Someone should spend some time figuring out how to bring the R calibrations for these over to the non-R - that's going to allow you to take more advantage of that new rubber and lighter-than-stock wheels. The FR500 ABS module was popular for this reason, it took into account the grippy'er tires.
I agree but that's all in the BCM and I'm sure the only one who can do this is ford / ford performance. That would be nice though.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I ran about 12 sessions of autocross today on the Michelin Pilot SS's in 36 degree weather. I gotta say they performed well once they warmed up, I was pulling at least .98 G's every run.
Going back tomorrow to do the same in the rain, we'll see how they are in the wet on the tight coarse.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

A nice to have but not critical. I ran the Boss for 5 years on Hoosiers and Hawk DTC70s with the stock ABS module and rarely triggered ABS. I had the module but returned it because they reprogrammed them for off road use only and you had a complete Christmas tree on the dash for the street. If you got a very early one they programmed it without that feature before the lawyers got involved. Many guys running the module had excessive rear brake intervention that was upsetting the car. In all cases, rear pad and rotor wear went up dramatically. So the results were mixed. Yes the MR calibration will be different, but again realistically many Rs will be on R spec aluminum wheels due to the cost and abuse of extra sets of track wheels and they will also be on slicks or R7s. In that case the R MR calibration wasn't specifically programmed for those wheels and tires.

Even the Boss suspension was "tuned" for the Pirellis, but we gained 3-4 seconds by swapping to lightweight aluminum wheels and R7s with no suspension or ABS changes.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
No doubt - lap times will be going down with improved tires. I know the ABS module had mixed reviews as far as straight-line braking but I thought there were stability advantages for trail braking? Still were talking about then and now - we don't know how much theyve improved.

The MR is an unknown, really.

Has to do with driver ability, too. I've done a handful of HPDEs over the years but I'm certain cloud9 would be faster in a non-r with sc2s than I would be in an R.

It's speculation but I do suspect that the same experienced driver would notice a significant difference between an R and a non-r on the same sc2s. Between the spring rates, swaybar, MR and calibration for MR/ABS.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
It's speculation but I do suspect that the same experienced driver would notice a significant difference between an R and a non-r on the same sc2s.
This is true. Me on my other car... switched from MPSS to Cup2's and my handling + lap times were clearly faster. Every track. I expect the same when I go with stickier compounds on the 350.

Shelbyman66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GMC Sierra (6.2l), some 66 Shelbys, 16 GT350
They sure don't look like they are takeoff based on the amount of brake dust on the inside of the spoke....

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Agreed! By far the biggest advantageous difference is the wheels and tires.
The biggest difference is the driver. A good driver in a base would out run an average driver in an R any day any track.

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
Has anyone put SC2 Wider tires from the R on the non R stock wheels? It's only "by size" 10mm wider so it should fit fine. I can't image there being a cards shape issue or sidewall stiffness issue.

As for all the comments about R vs. non-R. Only thing that will make appreciable difference will be tires. All other changes will net such minor differences in time that at a novice level you would not be able to differentiate it. Pros can turn laps consistent enough to find a couple tents but not us mortals.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Has anyone put SC2 Wider tires from the R on the non R stock wheels? It's only "by size" 10mm wider so it should fit fine. I can't image there being a cards shape issue or sidewall stiffness issue.

As for all the comments about R vs. non-R. Only thing that will make appreciable difference will be tires. All other changes will net such minor differences in time that at a novice level you would not be able to differentiate it. Pros can turn laps consistent enough to find a couple tents but not us mortals.
Next weekend they'll be on and the weekend after that they'll be toast.....

Probably only doing this once as I hope to have the R spec wheels from N4SM by end of May to finish this season on Hoosiers.
Sponsored

Reactions: TDC