MGW short throw vs. Steeda GT MT-82 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter

chesterlily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Looking for some advice. I have never used either of these, but am looking at replacing my stock shifter. After doing some research and reading I maybe leaning toward the Steeda. It has 30% shorter throw, keeps back up camera and different springs ect... Would like to hear if anyone has installed them and what there thoughts are. Is it worth upgrading from stock? For what it's worth I do track the car about 4x/summer.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I
Looking for some advice. I have never used either of these, but am looking at replacing my stock shifter. After doing some research and reading I maybe leaning toward the Steeda. It has 30% shorter throw, keeps back up camera and different springs ect... Would like to hear if anyone has installed them and what there thoughts are. Is it worth upgrading from stock? For what it's worth I do track the car about 4x/summer.

Thanks!
I ran the MGW X-Spec w/Flatstick in my 17 GT and i was a night and day difference over stock. MGW has had my vote since i had one in my 03 cobra. The quality is fantastic and it takes any “slop” out of the shift feeling. The install on the GT is about 4 hours without removing the driveshaft. It’s not hard but more tedious than anything. Hope this helps shed some light. #TeamLethal

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I

I ran the MGW X-Spec w/Flatstick in my 17 GT and i was a night and day difference over stock. MGW has had my vote since i had one in my 03 cobra. The quality is fantastic and it takes any “slop” out of the shift feeling. The install on the GT is about 4 hours without removing the driveshaft. It’s not hard but more tedious than anything. Hope this helps shed some light. #TeamLethal
I just replace my stock shifter with the MGW X-spec yesterday. The install was right at 4 hours (I dropped the driveshaft and exhaust). It's exceptionally nice. The Steeda is still a body mount shifter, which is the main reason why I didn't choose it. The backup camera still works fine. My setup has a 21% reduction in throw and that's as short as I'd ever want to go. Remember, force goes up as throw goes down. As it is, it's nothing more than a *click* out of gear and *click* in.

Sponsored

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Tom, It's not really valid in this case. The OP is in the wrong forum to start. I love George's products, and got my MGW T56 shifter from you guys, when they were first available (yes, that long ago). I can attest to the quality of that model. However, I have not yet picked one up for my 350. So, any comment here in the 350 forum is misplaced and misleading.
Discussion about the MT82 model is going to have folks thinking that there are multiple models for the 350, which is not the case.
If the mods can help the OP, move this one to the S550 Forum.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I didn't see where this was. My bad. I was talking about an MT-82.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, the OP actually DOES HAVE A GT350. What he missed in his search for a shifter is that Steeda doesn't make a shifter for the Tremec. Their site shows the FP short shift kit for the GT350.

I have the MGW and I wouldn't look at anything else, but he might be happy with the FP unit. Maybe someone who has one could comment.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
So, the OP actually DOES HAVE A GT350. What he missed in his search for a shifter is that Steeda doesn't make a shifter for the Tremec. Their site shows the FP short shift kit for the GT350.

I have the MGW and I wouldn't look at anything else, but he might be happy with the FP unit. Maybe someone who has one could comment.
Since some of you seem to have some personal experience and expertise with the MGW, let me ask: Would this be the right fix for a stiff and sloppy 1-2 and 2-3 shift, especially in cold weather? Or is this actually a result of the Tremec itself? I haven't had an MGW for 25 years (absolutely loved it, then), and I know the GT350 transmission and shifter are entirely different from the one in my GT of long ago. I don't want to waste my energy and money trying to fix this poor shifting (mostly in the cold) if the MGW won't really address it. But I would spend the money in a heartbeat for a firmer, more direct and shorter shift year-round.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Are you taking about for a Mustang MT-82 or the Shelby Tremec?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
There's absolutely zero sloppiness with the Tremec + MGW. Not sure you could get a better trans outside of going to dog teeth.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Since some of you seem to have some personal experience and expertise with the MGW, let me ask: Would this be the right fix for a stiff and sloppy 1-2 and 2-3 shift, especially in cold weather? Or is this actually a result of the Tremec itself? I haven't had an MGW for 25 years (absolutely loved it, then), and I know the GT350 transmission and shifter are entirely different from the one in my GT of long ago. I don't want to waste my energy and money trying to fix this poor shifting (mostly in the cold) if the MGW won't really address it. But I would spend the money in a heartbeat for a firmer, more direct and shorter shift year-round.
Some Tremecs are stiff when they're cold - mine used to be until I switched to the MT82 trans fluid with the friction modifier. It's still a bit stiff on the first shift when it's below about 40F, but it never crunches and once it's been shifted a couple of times it's perfect. And, yes, I have an MGW.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Some Tremecs are stiff when they're cold - mine used to be until I switched to the MT82 trans fluid with the friction modifier. It's still a bit stiff on the first shift when it's below about 40F, but it never crunches and once it's been shifted a couple of times it's perfect. And, yes, I have an MGW.
Hmmm...That's the first I've heard of this. Makes sense. No implications for warranty (on a GT350)?
Sponsored