MGW shifter gt350 2019 DEAL ???

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
MGW does provide a threaded collar as a stop, and a tool to tighten it. I suspect that the size of that knob might be an issue.
Also, there was no consistency in how much thread lock was used. I tried heat with a rubber strap wrench. It finally took a pipe wrench, after the leather was gone. And the process broke the lockout collar...
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I like the MGW, shifter robust. I also like the throw of the OEM.

I am going to work over the OEM, in 2 stages. First, replace 2 bushings, the shifter to the body mount. And the transmission to cross member mount.

Using Energy Suspension Hyperflex Polyurethane bushings.

I have used these for motor mounts and they are tuff, hold things in place.

If the shifter is still sloppy, will finish it off with the Blow Fish, shifter to transmission case mount, once it becomes available again.

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
I think there should be a part provided by MGW to align the shifter knob. Looking at your pictures it makes me wonder...
I changed OEM knob with JC Pony knob on my. I removed the OEM knob with my bare hands, using towel for better grip. Can't believe they messed up OEM knob that much. Apparently they used channellock plyers to destroy it. What a shame.
I couldnā€™t believe my eyes bro šŸ˜³

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
MGW does provide a threaded collar as a stop, and a tool to tighten it. I suspect that the size of that knob might be an issue.
Also, there was no consistency in how much thread lock was used. I tried heat with a rubber strap wrench. It finally took a pipe wrench, after the leather was gone. And the process broke the lockout collar...
Man....
Iā€™m gonna keep trying

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
OK guys I got the shifter installed MGW it is the best thing in the world and highly recommend it , The shifts are super smooth and amazing.
On the other hand the raceseng ashiko knob was not my cup of tea, it seemed too big and uncomfortable šŸ„µ personally I thought was going to love it, Not blaming the company whatsoever it is an amazing product just not for me I guess.

this installation was done at a Ford dealership for customer service or I should say customer satisfaction because I was not satisfied with the factory shifter they installed the MGW for free my suggestion never give your car for a third-party install at a Ford dealership not only they messed up the install they completely messed up my factory knob as you can see in the picture below.
When the shifter was installed I took it for a ride and there was NO power in the 1st gear, it dealt like it was the 3rd gear, but it was in the first gear. Then we had to call MGW and finally they fixed it.

B1BBD9AA-2089-42CE-A3FE-AD9395C2CA94.jpeg

0746E418-F89F-413B-ADB5-BAA9CCB3DCEE.jpeg

3308A35B-004C-428B-B836-4771FCE2EB79.jpeg

E7BC373E-0EB2-408E-8288-F48195A23C5D.jpeg
I hate to say it but i'm not surprised they mangled your stock knob and screwed up the install. Dealership can't be trusted to install a license plate without causing damage. It amazes me that these people's job is to work on cars and they still manage to fuck things up.

What was the issue with the lack of power in 1st gear??

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
An alligator mustā€™ve gotten into your service bay.

George has a couple youtube videos that wouldā€™ve made that job easier on them, but Iā€™m zero surprised they didnā€™t watch them. My old dealer was putting on a warranty job splitter and i sent them the 5min ford performance video ...just in case...result? Installed EVEN WORSE lol.

could they have adjusted the lockout so badly you cant get into 1st?

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it but i'm not surprised they mangled your stock knob and screwed up the install. Dealership can't be trusted to install a license plate without causing damage. It amazes me that these people's job is to work on cars and they still manage to fuck things up.

What was the issue with the lack of power in 1st gear??
They wouldnā€™t disclose that šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase

George has a couple youtube videos that wouldā€™ve made that job easier on them, but Iā€™m zero surprised they didnā€™t watch them. My old dealer was putting on a warranty job splitter and i sent them the 5min ford performance video ...just in case...result? Installed EVEN WORSE lol.

I donā€™t think that was the case, I hope not Iā€™ll confirm tomorrow with them and update

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I like the MGW, shifter robust. I also like the throw of the OEM.

I am going to work over the OEM, in 2 stages. First, replace 2 bushings, the shifter to the body mount. And the transmission to cross member mount.

Using Energy Suspension Hyperflex Polyurethane bushings.

I have used these for motor mounts and they are tuff, hold things in place.

If the shifter is still sloppy, will finish it off with the Blow Fish, shifter to transmission case mount, once it becomes available again.
Just a word of caution...shifters in the GT350 are indeed sensitive to bushing durometer at select locations. One of them being the rear mount. I know George well and remember back when he was developing his shifter he tested different rear mounts and found the factory rear mount durometer did a better job of mitigating vibration/noise then those using a higher durometer.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I donā€™t think that was the case, I hope not Iā€™ll confirm tomorrow with them and update
Iā€™d pull up his video and give them the exact times in the video he shows how to adjust(or get out a trim tool and get to crackin). I remember messing with mine and I could make it where it was tough to get it in gear, been a couple years though so Iā€™m not sure it could do what youā€™re saying...but thatā€™s first thing Iā€™d check.

Installing it was easy for them Iā€™m sure, but now theyā€™ll spend more time fixing it because of lack of attention to detail. Good luck!

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a word of caution...shifters in the GT350 are indeed sensitive to bushing durometer at select locations. One of them being the rear mount. I know George well and remember back when he was developing his shifter he tested different rear mounts and found the factory rear mount durometer did a better job of mitigating vibration/noise then those using a higher durometer.

Interesting and thanks, personally speaking some vibration/noise is ok. Certainly do trust the source, you & George and will keep this in mind.

Without making a change . Judging the level of impact is a wait and see deal.
If it is annoying, it can easily be reversed.

Thanks again for the heads up.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
While I have no experience with the gt350, I do have experience with a GT and MGW. The shifter is nothing short of amazing! I went with the flat stick and MGWā€™s shift ball. The install is a total pain, and just sucks all the way around. The setup on my shifter was spot on out of the box.

the left to right gates are close, so Iā€™d bet they had it out of adjustment and you were in 3rd instead of 1st

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Oh I bet that went over BIG .

Here is my car fix it please?
BTW here is a video to tell you how.

ROTFLMAO

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Oh I bet that went over BIG .

Here is my car fix it please?
BTW here is a video to tell you how.

ROTFLMAO
yeah i didn't shove it in their face, they'd already put it on wrong once and wouldn't just give me the parts to install myself since it was warranty. and i knew the salesman i sent it to...

i'm pretty sure the video is intended for them also, contains part numbers and stuff...from FORD PERFORMANCE.

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
While I have no experience with the gt350, I do have experience with a GT and MGW. The shifter is nothing short of amazing! I went with the flat stick and MGWā€™s shift ball. The install is a total pain, and just sucks all the way around. The setup on my shifter was spot on out of the box.

the left to right gates are close, so Iā€™d bet they had it out of adjustment and you were in 3rd instead of 1st
I think so too
Sponsored