Sponsored

MGW Race Spec or Barton Hybrid 3

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ready to upgrade my shifter and narrowed it down to these 2. Thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
both are fine. pull up barton, push down mgw.
I prefer pull up, I went Barton Hybrid 3. no regrets. love it, paired with Steeda clutch spring, more than happy

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I am in the same decision process now. The MGW ends up being. S197 style and being push down reverse. Functions the same otherwise. Camera works etc. but I like that Barton retains stock function of reverse. And if you like push down for some reason Barton offers the flat stick shifter which is push down reverse.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm a huge MGW fan. I've had a couple and installed them for people. Great shifters.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to go with MGW. Dealt directly with the owner. He answered every question I needed answered. So happy with him and the company it the second I got off the phone I bought one. Went with the owners suggestion which was standard handle with a race x shifter. 21% shorter shift and can still use my stock ford performance knob with their adapter. Looking forward to the shifter upgrade. Will install next Friday or Saturday hopefully.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
MGW is to Barton as Champagne is to dishwater. Customer service second to none. Product second to none. The only downside is hiding all of the handsome machine work and detail under a console. This is the first thread I have ever heard anyone express a concern over how the shifter has to be engaged downward to go into reverse as a reason to buy another brand :facepalm:. 99 and 44/100 % of people making the upgrade are seeking smoother, shorter, quicker, firmer, and more consistent shifting.

I bought mine second hand. It was sold only because the guy was selling the car and going auto. On the rare instance you see one for sale it is sold within a day. I got lucky and found that one 20 minutes after it was posted and snatched it up. When they sold direct you had a 30-45 lead time on one. That is how popular they are in spite of the price. They may have expanded to compensate for that now since they use distributor sales now.

Oxford_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I always thought my stock shifter was fine and don't have any mt82 woes I read about but hear such good things about the MGW I decided to get one thrown on.

Wow what a difference the shifter is SOLID. 2nd gear will be notchy sometimes for me and im still easing into having a faster car and need a new clutch so haven't been able to really row gears but its night and day from stock.

SHONOFF15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 OW GT
MGW is to Barton as Champagne is to dishwater. Customer service second to none. Product second to none. The only downside is hiding all of the handsome machine work and detail under a console. This is the first thread I have ever heard anyone express a concern over how the shifter has to be engaged downward to go into reverse as a reason to buy another brand :facepalm:. 99 and 44/100 % of people making the upgrade are seeking smoother, shorter, quicker, firmer, and more consistent shifting.

I bought mine second hand. It was sold only because the guy was selling the car and going auto. On the rare instance you see one for sale it is sold within a day. I got lucky and found that one 20 minutes after it was posted and snatched it up. When they sold direct you had a 30-45 lead time on one. That is how popular they are in spite of the price. They may have expanded to compensate for that now since they use distributor sales now.
Champagne is to dishwater? Smh dont listen to this fool the Barton is equal to the MGW in everyway and surpasses them (in my opinon) on their flat stick variation as its better looking (again my opinion).

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Champagne is to dishwater? Smh dont listen to this fool the Barton is equal to the MGW in everyway and surpasses them (in my opinon) on their flat stick variation as its better looking (again my opinion).
Wow someone sure has his panties in a twist over nothing. Doesn't take much to push your buttons does it Junior? BARTON simply pulled a "UPR" and copied the MGW designs. AYE WHAT A MAROON! LOL! Man you made my day. I needed a great laugh. Thanks!

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sheesh. I never saw some one get so upset about opinions on short shifters. Lol.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Sheesh. I never saw some one get so upset about opinions on short shifters. Lol.
My favorite are the overly dramatic replies claiming to have pushed buttons and having panties in a bunch over just a normal reply. Reminds me of that navy seal copy pasta.

Sounds like either is a good bet. Prices are the same at time of checking, so it would really be reverse lock out preference or if you wanted to body mount. I'd lean Barton for that pull up collar and trans mount it personally.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite are the overly dramatic replies claiming to have pushed buttons and having panties in a bunch over just a normal reply. Reminds me of that navy seal copy pasta.

Sounds like either is a good bet. Prices are the same at time of checking, so it would really be reverse lock out preference or if you wanted to body mount. I'd lean Barton for that pull up collar and trans mount it personally.
After having the push down for a couple years now, I don't miss the pull up collar. Either way, trans mount it.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Try both out in other cars if you can.

I've tried both the mgw x spec and Barton flat stick.

Was leaning one way until I tried them out and picked the feel that I liked the most.

No matter what people tell you, it's always best to try out both and see the pros/cons if you can.
Sponsored