Sponsored

Metal clanking noise passenger rear?

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Oh its getting annoying. I dont put many miles on my car, just pull it out occasionally, but it started with a lower pronounced click when going in reverse or slowly rolling occasionally. Now it's a metal clank noise. I checked axel nut and most of suspension nuts and everything seems torqued. I'm hoping it's just a wheel bearing but theres l no play in the wheel. Could it be early signs of wheel bearing failure? Any other way to test it?

I haven't made any changes to the car in sometime. Lowered on springs, bmr lockout. Not much done to rear really. 2015 gt pp mt82. No other driveability issues just the noise. I never beat on it
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
mines starting the same thing when i back up out of the garage when i first start i get a click.. then as i go, i get one more click.. back drivers side ,i also checked everything on the suspension and no play in the wheel up and down or side to side . i replaced the axle nut also and torqued it per ford spec then went another 1/4 turn
im going to order a wheel bearing and do that soon im thinking that has to be it

Deleted member 35786

Have someone back your car up and you walk next to it so you can isolate the noise or switch roles and do it. You can also put up the rear on jack stands or a lift see if it does it as well to find out what it is.
Do you still have a powertrain warranty left? If so and its drive train related, get it checked out at the dealer.

On a side note our 17' Honda Pilot clanks every time I go into reverse and then switch back to forward. Found out it was the brake pads shifting in the calipers. Harmless but annoying. Check that area when your looking.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have the rear pinion flange checked as well as the trans flange for excessive or out of spec back lash. That would be the “clank” when engaging gears.

OP
OP

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have the rear pinion flange checked as well as the trans flange for excessive or out of spec back lash. That would be the “clank” when engaging gears.
I hope it's not... I'm not getting any noises when shifting gears or anything. Just slow role from a stop and coming to a stop

Sponsored

OP
OP

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
mines starting the same thing when i back up out of the garage when i first start i get a click.. then as i go, i get one more click.. back drivers side ,i also checked everything on the suspension and no play in the wheel up and down or side to side . i replaced the axle nut also and torqued it per ford spec then went another 1/4 turn
im going to order a wheel bearing and do that soon im thinking that has to be it
I'll probably end up doing the same... let me know if you get this done soon.

OP
OP

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Unfortunately my wheel bearing wasn't the issue. Replaced today and still getting noise. Upon further driving it doesnt seem to do it in reverse.

When I turned the rear wheels manually while in the air, I get a clunk from from the rear end, and one from the front of driveshaft or transmission, but this would seem normal to me? I cant mimick the clanking noise I get while driving

OP
OP

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The clunk is when first initiating the movement of the wheels in one direction or the other. Not while in motion. I don't really notice this clunk when driving the car.

It's out of warranty so i wont be taking it to dealer

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yours is prob drivetrain slack .. mine is a click when rolling out backing up then on decel sometimes.. and from reverse to 1st .. only from my drivers side .. my passenger was replaced under warranty awhile back so im guessing drivers is finally going .. havnt done it yet i was doing other maint.. damn upstream 02,s lol

i did put a new axle nut on the drivers side and it stopped for a week but then came back thats why i figured it was my hub bearing

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Want to chime in that I am having this exact same issue with my 2016 and it is beginning to get worse.

I thought it was the axle retaining nuts so I replaced those and no dice... same issue.

I back into my driveway which is on an incline (so I am reversing up a hill). Usually the first 'segment' of movement is fine, going from the street to the middle of the driveway, but as I slow down and reposition etc... and then let the clutch out again for more throttle, the click occurs (almost like there is a tiny 1/4" of slack in some kind of rotating part or mount.

Then once I leave my house it usually begins again. Something about the initial torque applied from rolling out of the driveway causes the clunk again. It sometimes happens one more time at the stopsign at the end of my street from stop to go.

1. Any time I transition from reverse to forwards or vice versa it will happen.
2. Now it is beginning to happen from a stop to forwards, like in parking lots and other slow areas where you are frequently engaging the clutch from not moving or moving real slow.

I hear it distinctly from the left side rear.

My wife got out of the car and she thinks it is not a loose braket or heavy duty piece of gear but rather something small and flimsy as she says it sounds weirder outside: like a ping/pop/snap of metal not a heavy clank.

Fortunately I work from home and don't need my car a lot ... I am going to jack it up and disassemble the entire rear end to get this sorted.

My mods in that area of the car include:
  • Steeda diff inserts, the red ones
  • Steeda pro action rear shocks
  • Steeda billet upper shock mounts
  • Steeda progressive springs
  • Steeda subframe alignment inserts
  • Corsa catback

Sponsored
OP
OP

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well I'll chime in on what my issue was... It was a tmps sensor in my wheel :headbang:

After I went through the trouble of replacing a wheel bearing.

Guess a piece broke off. Discount tire said it was common with the type of sensors I had. Something to check I guess

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Wild. I have a slow leak in that tire, coincidentally, due to a teeny tiny nail that I have not had patched/repaired yet. Loses like 1psi per month so I have been ignoring it... now that you mention this I will see about getting that fixed sooner than later. Maybe my sensor is effed too.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The dealer was able to find and fix the noise I was experiencing. Shoutout to Andrew and the fellas at Theodore Robins Ford in Costa Mesa!

Fortunately this was covered by my extended warranty, so out the door I paid $36 total, due to another issue w/ my rearview mirror.

SUPER stoked!

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 2.51.42 PM.png
Sponsored