Sponsored

Metal chunk in oil drain pan after oil change today

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Found the answer myself @nate20gt . You might want to ask the dealer about this part if the lower sprocket is missing a tooth.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6306-M50A
I guess this quote from the Ford Performance site says it all:

This crankshaft sprocket is designed for race applications. This forged steel crankshaft sprocket is approximately 5x stronger than the factory powdered metal sprocket found on 2015-2017 5.0L engines and offers enthusiasts peace of mind. The factory powdered metal sprocket works effectively in stock applications but when additional horsepower, RPM, and/or the stress caused by belt mounted power adders or accessories are added-this sprocket can help to avoid a costly rebuild.
So is 2018+ not a powdered metal sprocket?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this quote from the Ford Performance site says it all:

Also interesting that they didn’t generically extend the year suitability to 21 or 22 :

1638611659290.jpg

WD :like:

OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'll ask the dealer about this. I looked on Ford Performance also but I didn't see this because I was filtered to 2020.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
have to say, they've been really awesome so far. No push back or accusing me of being to hard on the car.
Good to hear they are not being pushy, however there should never be any question related to how hard you drive the car. As long as you don't abuse it beyond its intended limits, there's no rule on how hard you can drive the car or not. There's no clause in the warranty statement that says if you take the car more than x times at WOT per day you lose warranty. You could drive the car WOT 24/7 and that would be fine as far as warranty as long as its not modded and within the designed limits.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Good question.
A FoMoCo part number search for the part in question from years 2015 to 21 might reveal any changes.
My better judgement tells me that Ford's parts cheapening Dept. forced powdered metal sprockets down the throats of the Coyote Team.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-crankshaft-gear-fr3z6306a

MMR lists the MY to 2020. I'll wager they haven't updated the site recently.
https://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=580

https://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-v8-cayote-1/coyote-camshaft-sprocket

Last edited:
OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
The sprocket lost a tooth as suspected. It also split and bonded itself to the crank. It's at least getting a new short block right now. Here is a picture.

part-0.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
The sprocket lost a tooth as suspected. It also split and bonded itself to the crank. It's at least getting a new short block right now. Here is a picture.

part-0.jpg
Wow, great catch on the tooth. That sprocket looks like it was about to separate in two.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Wow how about that. Need to pay more attention charging the oil next time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If that had let go it would have gotten a long block due to valves hitting pistons.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP

part-0.jpg
How I wish Powdered Metal parts were never invented. Chalk it up to the "Parts Cheapening Department".....

That keyway slot looks very suspicious to the right of the square key. I've been around long enough to know that the sprocket was fractured first then the tooth broke off. The rear tooth is still intact due to the fracture location running to the left of the tooth.
I'll wager that sprocket was forced on at the assembly plant. The crank snout keyway groove is a dead giveaway.

Interesting Part number, KR3E-6306-AA. No results found online.

Last edited:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Wow great catch. One disturbing thing to me is that the gear fracture propagated right through the tooth, the thickest part. I imagine catastrophic failure wasn’t far into the future.

OP
OP

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I don't see a 2019 either?
FYI, before my engine had been looked at, I contacted Ford Performance and they don't make a forged crank sprocket for gen 3s.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
FYI, before my engine had been looked at, I contacted Ford Performance and they don't make a forged crank sprocket for gen 3s.
I don't think Ford feels their Gen 3 engine CS are in need of an upgrade.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
How I wish Powdered Metal parts were never invented. Chalk it up to the "Parts Cheapening Department".....

That keyway slot looks very suspicious to the right of the square key. I've been around long enough to know that the sprocket was fractured first then the tooth broke off. The rear tooth is still intact due to the fracture location running to the left of the tooth.
I'll wager that sprocket was forced on at the assembly plant. The crank snout keyway groove is a dead giveaway.

Interesting Part number, KR3E-6306-AA. No results found online.
I was thinking the same thing about it being forced on.
Sponsored