Sponsored

Merits of Studs for rear subframe mounting?

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My E36 M3 has studs on the rear sub-frame mounts ( 2 studs at front and 2 bolts at back) which really helped with locating to refit the sub-frame so I am thinking about doing the same thing for the Mustang rear sub-frame when I put poly bushes in given the problems some people have had with cross threading the factory bolts with the thread cutting ends and it allows dropping down the sub-frame somewhat while still being located.

Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone know the length of the bolts so I can get some studs made without having to pull the bolts to check? I am going to cut the head off a M14 12.9 bolt and get the end threaded.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
1606224721254.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have a feeling that the threads on the OE bolts may be rolled rather than cut (rolled being better). Never mind that putting a nut on the bottom would probably make future removal more difficult.

I think what I'd do would be to make up a pair of studs, somewhat longer than OE, that you'd screw into the car after removing the OE bolts (removing and replacing one at a time). These would be temporary studs, for locating only (you'd remove them in favor of the real bolts after getting the cradle properly located and a couple of the bolts at least started/snugged), so these studs wouldn't need to be 12.9 material.

Grinding a pair of flats in each so you could run them down in their threaded holes with a wrench if necessary, and putting a little taper on the unthreaded ends would help.

Norm

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
OP
OP

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a feeling that the threads on the OE bolts may be rolled rather than cut (rolled being better). Never mind that putting a nut on the bottom would probably make future removal more difficult.

I think what I'd do would be to make up a pair of studs, somewhat longer than OE, that you'd screw into the car after removing the OE bolts (removing and replacing one at a time). These would be temporary studs, for locating only (you'd remove them in favor of the real bolts after getting the cradle properly located and a couple of the bolts at least started/snugged), so these studs wouldn't need to be 12.9 material.

Grinding a pair of flats in each so you could run them down in their threaded holes with a wrench if necessary, and putting a little taper on the unthreaded ends would help.

Norm
@Norm, thanks I have read many of your posts, quite insightful! I think the temp stud option you suggest might be the best of both worlds. Do you think, cost aside, replacing the factory bolt with a 12.9 ZP socket head would offer any benefits or stick with factory bolt?

OP
OP

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Steeda offers some inexpensive delrin sleeves for those bolts to ensure the IRS is correctly located every time.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-irs-subframe-alignment-kit-2015-all-555-4438.html
@mikeD4V, I forgot to mention I have these sleeves sitting around uninstalled as well as BMR poly bushes. I am going to put the poly bushes in hence tackling the studs question so I can do it as a part of the install. I might do the sleeves first to check whether all 4 points will align ok beforehand given this is a simple install.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
@Norm, thanks I have read many of your posts, quite insightful! I think the temp stud option you suggest might be the best of both worlds. Do you think, cost aside, replacing the factory bolt with a 12.9 ZP socket head would offer any benefits or stick with factory bolt?
I'd stick with the factory bolts, as I would expect Ford to have more stringent corrosion resistance requirements.

Norm

OP
OP

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Decided to go with permanent studs. Got my 4x M14 x 150mm (6") bolts @ 12.9 (total ~US$20) and head machined and threaded (total ~US$30). Now off to be Zinc-Nickel plated and passivated (maybe Olive Drab) to make sure Norm's comment is suitably addressed, although no salt roads to worry about here.

M14 x 150mm 12.9 bolts.JPG

Machined to Studs.JPG
Sponsored