Sponsored

Mecum Auction - Kissimmee

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As a Mustang owner, it was cool just watching all the Mustang's for sale and prices. No Mustang II Cobras, though ; ) Also all the other Fords, street rods, and especially one or two '64 Galaxies. Not a lot of post war through '50s which I enjoy seeing.
Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Bidding assistant? You mean the people running around who already have a job working for Dana Mecum?
Right. And whose job it is TO RUN UP THE BID so Mecum can make more money? We tip waiters because they make below min wage. We tip valets because they do us a service that is OPTIONAL (ie, carry bags to your hotel room) and that is also very helpful.

The Bidding "Assistants" I would argue, don't work for you, but rather work against you. Just like the auctioneer himself. He doesn't talk quickly to make it easier for you to take your time and think about whether or not to bid!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Jim Wicks was the person who accompanied the cars to Mecum and oversaw the results for Sam. I spoke to him last night, Sam has 500 or so cars in his collection so this small lot doesn't mean a lot. He didn't pay MSRP or a normal invoice for any of these. He has also purchased at least 1 Ford Charity car that I know of. Sounds like quite a good person to me.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Bidding assistant? You mean the people running around who already have a job working for Dana Mecum?
Yes, the people who jump up and down yelling to get the auctioneer's attention when you want to enter a bid (its the 21st century... why don't they have a wireless/electronic way of doing that?).

They wouldn't be the first people to get a tip, even though they are simply doing their paid job.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
If I win at the Blackjack table, I will tip the dealer. At a car auction the money flows in one direction when you are a buyer, and the fees charged ( fees on top of the purchase as well as to just become a buyer) more than make up for the circus. I sure hope these runners are getting paid more than a waiter at $1.50/hr.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Jim Wicks was the person who accompanied the cars to Mecum and oversaw the results for Sam. I spoke to him last night, Sam has 500 or so cars in his collection so this small lot doesn't mean a lot. He didn't pay MSRP or a normal invoice for any of these. He has also purchased at least 1 Ford Charity car that I know of. Sounds like quite a good person to me.
Tim, for sure that Sam did not pay MSRP since he owns the dealership and it would be interesting to see his actual factory invoice for each of these cars!

The Ford Charity Cars as you well know usually only come up once in a MY therefore it is always a fight to see who is the highest bidder for these cool cars that typically go up for auction in Detroit each September.

Attached are a couple of 1 of 1 Ford Charity Cars that went to a dealership that I had bought a lot of cars from over the years with the 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca being painted a unique "Red Candy Metallic".

The 2016 Shelby GT350R is also a 1 of 1 Charity Car that this same dealership was high bidder on and even though the final paperwork was made out to Jay Leno in error as it was thought that he was the high bidder he actually came in 2nd on this car and the paperwork had to be returned to Dearborn in order to be corrected.

The interior is very cool with all of the Blue accents and is the only 4 seat factory R model that I am aware of.

Those Blue interior accents would have been a terrific addition to all of the HEP cars!

DSCF1743.JPG

DSCF1792.JPG

DSCF1805.JPG

DSCF1796.JPG

DSCF1797.JPG

DSCF1798.JPG

CBB2.JPG

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
10% buyer's premium? Geezus, what on earth are they spending that kind of money on? Oh wait, lots and lots of (unnecessary?) staff, venue rental and making lots o' money. You can't tell me they couldn't run a sensible business for more like 3-5% fee. But in the scheme of crimes against the buyer, let's talk real-estate instead, shall we?

PS. no, that wasn't an invitation to thread-jack and talk about other high-friction business models.

Yeah, it's 2020 for pete's sake. how isn't this whole thing done with tablets or other electronic gizmos?

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since many people here own Mustangs, I'll mention that the MCA has a deal with Mecum, for its members, where you can register as a bidder for FREE (plus one guest too).

I went to my first live Mecum Auction last year this way. Quite a different experience than watching on TV. No, I didn't buy anything. Also, many of the vehicles didn't look as good in person as they do on TV (they looked definitely old/used).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, many of the vehicles didn't look as good in person as they do on TV (they looked definitely old/used).
303 (sponsor?) has a camera-lens attachment filter that takes 20 years off the age when shot at high zoom levels. /joke

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Since many people here own Mustangs, I'll mention that the MCA has a deal with Mecum, for its members, where you can register as a bidder for FREE (plus one guest too).
GOOD TO KNOW!

I went to my first live Mecum Auction last year this way. Quite a different experience than watching on TV. No, I didn't buy anything. Also, many of the vehicles didn't look as good in person as they do on TV (they looked definitely old/used).
Yea, nothing beats laying eyes on something.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
303 (sponsor?) has a camera-lens attachment filter that takes 20 years off the age when shot at high zoom levels. /joke
They must use it on Dana Mecum too. :blush:

I passed Dana in a hallway. I was going to walk over to him, say "hi", and shake his hand. He looked so confused and lost, I decided to not.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sam is one hell of a nice guy and one hell of a car guy. His family has 5 Ford dealerships in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, as well as a Chevy store and a Subaru store. I had the pleasure of meeting him 3 years ago when he opened up his collection to the general public for a few days. Most of his cars are stored in a climate controlled warehouse just south of his Carrollton dealership. When we met him that day at his warehouse "museum", my buddy and I were blown away at the quantity, quality, and diversity of his collection. It's not a Petersen's or a Jay Leno's garage, but it's damn near them.

We spoke with Sam for about 10 minutes, but didn't get the chance to ask him about the fleet of GT350's he was amassing. Why wasn't he selling any of his GT350's, while the other 35 local Ford stores were asking and getting ridiculous ADM's. So we wondered, WTF he was up to? Maybe he was going to give one to each of his grandchildren. I'll ask him next time I see him. He's only 83. I've got two Uncles over 90 that still drive almost daily. So watch out for speeding geriatrics if you're passing through on your way to The TX2K in Houston.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
MCA members now pay $100 for a bidder pass, no longer free. Saw it in the latest club issue.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350

I agree 100 percent. I’ve been to Barrett Jackson 4-5 times, the lights and tv doing amazing things for those cars. The really high end stuff is as nice as you’d expect but the majority of cars are average everyday cars and no nicer than you’d see at your local car show.
Sponsored