Sponsored

McLeod twin disk and the Ecoboost mustang...

Twign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
More to add from this McLeod saga....

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79121&highlight=McLeod

Ok let me start off with I have a Mcleod twin disk on my 339 TT and have had no issues whatsoever. Anyways let me get into to this.

So I debated whether to tackle this myself at the base hobby shop but shop but eventually scheduled an appointment with Stang-Hi Performance Stang Hi performance out of Baton Rouge. This shop only installs Mcleod clutches. Cost is about 8hrs of labor for clutch replacement and I already had the clutch. They also ordered the flywheel bolts (more on these later), new ford hydraulic slave, and pilot bearing. Bringing the total to around $1189 out the door. And they were gonna throw in the Steeda trans bushing and Steeda shifter bushing while the transmission was out. So I drop the car off and catch an Uber to work.

About 2pm this afternoon I get a call from the shop telling me they ran into an issue with the flywheel bolts but it didnt end up being a problem. They tell me no one currently makes the proper bolts for the Mcleod clutches for Ecoboost mustangs. They called Mcleod and were told they had to cut factory bolts almost in half and they will suffice. I’m a little perplexed at this point because why would no one makes the proper bolts for this car. ARP I’m talking the you! The bolts apparently are very different and weren’t even available at a custom bolt shop next the Stang Hi. Anyways, they tell me everything is good and they are putting everything back together.

About 4pm I swing by the shop, pay my bill and tell them I’ll be back tonight to pick it up. They show me the bolts they had to cut. And tell me they have been on the phone with McLeod tech off and on all day.

About 5pm I get a call from the main mechanic. He explains to me the clutch is dragging when they put everything back together and needs to be sent back to McLeod. Something with the hub from the flywheel not allowing for proper clutch engagement. McLeod tech again says they have had nearly no issues with the clutch because not many have ordered one. The main mechanic is noticeably upset, and asked me to call McLeod and ask for a whole new clutch assembly. Because he isn’t getting anywhere with tech support. Well I called them and talked to Billy. He explained they don’t cover labor but the will pay for the clutch to be shipped to and from the shop. I asked if they had a replacement in their inventory and he told me the only make them when someone orders them and lead time is 4-6 weeks for the flywheel to be made.
What a disaster.

So I call the shop back and explain what McLeod said, he asked about labor and I told him I’m gonna eat it I guess. About 10 min later he calls me back and tells me he talked with the shop owner and they are going to machine the flywheel with the help of a tooling company next door. That way they test everything without having to wait on shipping to and from McLeod, which is in California btw. I agree to it and sulk as I walk into enterprise rental cars and pick up my Nissan Versa, which I’ll be driving all week.

So a planned and thought out day at the shop, is gonna turn into possibly a week.
Instead of costing 1k it’s gonna be 2.5k

How the hell is there no aftermarket flywheel bolts????

How did McLeod put this product out and doesn’t fit properly?
Sponsored

17Stallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Premium
That sucks! Hope things are as they should be when you get the car back

Last edited:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
:popcorn::shocked::barf::popcorn::repost::rules::threadjacked::welcome::faint::eek::readthethread::spam::rules::search::ban::mullet::dnftt::censored::bolt::hitcomputer::bump::help::thumbdown::barf::shocked::popcorn::first::shrug::hail::cool::ford::headbang::doh::cheers::thumbsup::frusty::eyebulge::p:paddle::headbonk::headbonk::headbonk::focus:

Ronstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium
More to add from this McLeod saga....

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79121&highlight=McLeod

Ok let me start off with I have a Mcleod twin disk on my 339 TT and have had no issues whatsoever. Anyways let me get into to this.

So I debated whether to tackle this myself at the base hobby shop but shop but eventually scheduled an appointment with Stang-Hi Performance Stang Hi performance out of Baton Rouge. This shop only installs Mcleod clutches. Cost is about 8hrs of labor for clutch replacement and I already had the clutch. They also ordered the flywheel bolts (more on these later), new ford hydraulic slave, and pilot bearing. Bringing the total to around $1189 out the door. And they were gonna throw in the Steeda trans bushing and Steeda shifter bushing while the transmission was out. So I drop the car off and catch an Uber to work.

About 2pm this afternoon I get a call from the shop telling me they ran into an issue with the flywheel bolts but it didnt end up being a problem. They tell me no one currently makes the proper bolts for the Mcleod clutches for Ecoboost mustangs. They called Mcleod and were told they had to cut factory bolts almost in half and they will suffice. I’m a little perplexed at this point because why would no one makes the proper bolts for this car. ARP I’m talking the you! The bolts apparently are very different and weren’t even available at a custom bolt shop next the Stang Hi. Anyways, they tell me everything is good and they are putting everything back together.

About 4pm I swing by the shop, pay my bill and tell them I’ll be back tonight to pick it up. They show me the bolts they had to cut. And tell me they have been on the phone with McLeod tech off and on all day.

About 5pm I get a call from the main mechanic. He explains to me the clutch is dragging when they put everything back together and needs to be sent back to McLeod. Something with the hub from the flywheel not allowing for proper clutch engagement. McLeod tech again says they have had nearly no issues with the clutch because not many have ordered one. The main mechanic is noticeably upset, and asked me to call McLeod and ask for a whole new clutch assembly. Because he isn’t getting anywhere with tech support. Well I called them and talked to Billy. He explained they don’t cover labor but the will pay for the clutch to be shipped to and from the shop. I asked if they had a replacement in their inventory and he told me the only make them when someone orders them and lead time is 4-6 weeks for the flywheel to be made.
What a disaster.

So I call the shop back and explain what McLeod said, he asked about labor and I told him I’m gonna eat it I guess. About 10 min later he calls me back and tells me he talked with the shop owner and they are going to machine the flywheel with the help of a tooling company next door. That way they test everything without having to wait on shipping to and from McLeod, which is in California btw. I agree to it and sulk as I walk into enterprise rental cars and pick up my Nissan Versa, which I’ll be driving all week.

So a planned and thought out day at the shop, is gonna turn into possibly a week.
Instead of costing 1k it’s gonna be 2.5k

How the hell is there no aftermarket flywheel bolts????

How did McLeod put this product out and doesn’t fit properly?

I was worried about this from McCleod. I was doing a research on clutches and found that even the GT guys were having issues with them.
So I decided to go this route for my mustang instead:

Xtreme Clutch Single Disk Clutch Kit for 2015+ Ecoboost Mustang
https://www.adamtuned.com/collectio...gle-disk-clutch-kit-for-2015-ecoboost-mustang

the kit from Adam Tuned comes with flywheel bolts and Slave cylinder. its single disc, they have tested this clutch on our cars for over a year now with success..

they do have the twin now too:
https://www.adamtuned.com/collectio...utch-twin-disc-for-2015-ford-ecoboost-mustang

Reason I am linking his site, as his is currently the only site I have found so far that sells them in the USA

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0DEzkpgggA

Last edited:
OP
OP

Twign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I’m supposed to pick up the car this Thursday. They were able to make it work. I’ll be doing a break down of what’s needed to use these clutches, so people aren’t in the dark anymore.

I went with McLeod because of my previous history with them and the price / American made. I looked at extreme clutches from tune +. I guess I was thinking of infinite rebuilding of the twin disks too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Twign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Update on the clutch:

Everything is working as it should. Below are pictures of the McLeod flywheel and starter finger. Basically the McLeod flywheel was too wide, and needed to be machined down and rebalanced. Luckily for me, Stang Hi is right next to a performance machine shop that was able to do just that.

I can tell the car revs much quicker and smoother. And the pedal effort is not increased from stock. The trans bushing and the shifter bushing from Steeda cleaned up a lot of the slop from the factory shift too.

So all in all I think that even with the headache of cutting bolts and machining the flywheel, this was a success.