Vehicle(s)
18 P GT

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I also might try such a product, cause on the wife's 17 GT, we had this professionally done, and I was not that impressed with it, (for a cost of over $1000.00) also, have had real good luck with anything amazon sells. plus they take anything back...

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I use g-tecniq and 22ple. If you want something easy to apply angel polish has some good stuff

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Looking into getting my Kona Blue 18 Mustang Ceramic coated, quotes have been between 600 and 1200 bucks. So I started doing some research to figure out if I could save myself some cash, cough res delete and CAI money!!

Has anyone used or heard of McKee's 37 MK37-7000 Paint, Wheel and Glass Coating Complete Kit? Found it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCVRG9W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I coated my trim, wheels and paint with gtechniq c1, the pro's who use it buy the c1 and use it on everything.

Drek08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
'17 mustang GT PP
Mckees 37 is good from what I hear but never used it. I do Detailing on the side and personally I use Gtechniq EXO. 12-18 months of protection and VERY easy to apply. I would suggest that and there videos on their website showing you exactly how to do it. It's pretty hard to mess up

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Im more of a sealant + wax guy. The sealant lasts 6mo-1yr while the wax is more 3-6 month if your car is outside alot. This combo is impossible to fuck up even if your a brand new detailer compared to ceramic. If you're new to detailing you can check out this video by Ammo NYC
https://www.ammonyc.com/beginner/

I personally dont use their products since theyre pricey but Larry knows alot.

OP
OP

adams5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 P GT
I think I am leaning towards striping it, a coat of Turtle Wax Ice Shine Shield and then two coats of Turtle wax Ice.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I think I am leaning towards striping it, a coat of Turtle Wax Ice Shine Shield and then two coats of Turtle wax Ice.
I recommend as far as sealants and wax goes, jescar powerlock And collonite 845. If it’s cold collonite needs to be warmed up or it’ll be extremely pasty (still works fine though). Powerlock as base collinite as the top layer. They apply slick and easy to remove.

Sponsored
OP
OP

adams5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 P GT
I concur!!! Just make sure you have good quality microfiber towels that do not leave any lint when removing the product.
Wanna come down to Fayetteville to me out? Ha just kidding, no seriously.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm more of a Wolfgang's sealant guy. I'm currently doing some research on Ceramic coatings to see what/if ceramic will work best for me. If I go ceramic, I will do my daily Tacoma first and see how it goes...then move on to the Mustang after that.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I actually have the McKees 37 paint coating (christmas present from the wife) but won’t be applying it until spring due to time. It’s been highly recommended on several detailing forums for its ease of use and for the price, it’s hard to beat. I actually got a combo pack that included the coating, soap and iron x remover for $50 off Amazon.

Edit: McKee's 37 Starter Ceramic Coating Kit (Paint Coating, Sio2 Auto Wash, Xtreme Iron Remover) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PRK18S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WiisAbTWTW8EX

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I like the carpro products. As long as the coating achieves 9H hardness you are good. Top off the coating with a hydrophobic top coat such as carpro reload or Ceramic Pro Sport every 3-5 months

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I used McKee's paint coating and wheel coating. I didn't buy the whole kit with the glass coating. I put them on in early August and they've held up great so far. My car is a daily driver, although I do keep it garaged when not in use.

The hardest part of the process is the prep work. If you go the DIY route, definitely do your research on this and make sure you set aside some time to do it properly.

Even though your Mustang is brand new, I would be willing to bet that it has some sort of surface contaminants or light paint imperfections (more if the dealership "detailed" it) that need to be addressed before you lay the coating down. Once you do this, the application of the coating is pretty easy. I don't have any experience with other coatings, but people I've spoken to have said that McKee's was easier to apply than some others. I didn't run into any problems with the actual application.

Without going into too much detail, the process I used was as follows: (note there are other ways of going about doing this, some methods may be better than what I used, just giving you a general idea)
1. Washed with the two-bucket method
2. Washed with CarPro TRIX to remove iron/tar contaminants
3. Clayed and inspected for imperfections.
4. Light paint correction in a few spots after inspection with an LED (I used Meguiars 205)
5. Wipedown with diluted isopropyl alcohol mixed with distilled water 50:50.
6. Applied coating
7. Let the car sit overnight and try not to let it get wet for a few days.

It's coming up on 5 months since I applied it, and I think I'll use a coating topper the next time I wash it. I got the one from McKee's under the impression that it would be well suited to go over their coating, but other brands would probably work fine also.

Hope this is helpful
Sponsored