sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Are Synthetic Fuels The Savior Of The Combustion Engine? | CarBuzz

" Crucially, when burnt, the carbon emissions of synfuel do not add anything to the atmosphere that wasn't already there to begin with. This makes synthetic fuel carbon neutral in the combustion process, only emitting the CO2 that was used to create it in the first place; CO2 that was already polluting the atmosphere."

"At the time of publishing, a gallon of gasoline averages $4.605 in the USA according to the AAA, up by more than a dollar compared to a year ago. But at present, e-fuels are estimated to cost approximately $38 a gallon."

"Porsche CEO Oliver Blume recently went on record saying that the price of e-fuel could come down drastically. "If produced on an industrial scale, prices of less than $2 per liter ($7.57 per gallon) could be possible," said Blume, speaking of the 2026 production goal of 145 million gallons. That's still expensive, but others are more hopeful still. The eFuel Alliance believes costs could come down to at most $5 per gallon by the time we use 100% e-fuel in 2050, using the sliding admixture scale"

Hello; from the link inside your link, I pulled some quotes. I like the idea for personal reasons, that being i like ICE.
Cost is an interesting part of the equation. One advantage comes to mind. That being we can keep using the vehicles we already have. Will not have to buy new high price EV's. Will not have to dig up all those rare earth minerals with environmentally damaging mines. Will not have to spend many thousands on replacement batteries.

Seems unlikely to get subsidies or other such in the face of the EV push even if it would be greener and at a lower overall cost compared to a built up energy grid for EV's and all the new EV's that must be built and purchased.

Good article.