Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Since the Mustang V6 does not have the internal water pump which was the only major issue with this engine, this thing should run forever. One mechanic thinks that properly maintained it could possibly go 500,000km or 312,000 miles. That’s about equal to a well maintained old fashioned pushrod engine I was used to.

So has anyone put some real miles on the 3.7? My Mustang is now the most reliable car I have ever owned and I’m now wondering how long this thing will last. Me thinks most will get bored with the car or it will simply rust way before the engine dies (the way God intended).

Anyone have an idea on longevity?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I know some of the S197s are over 200k already, @mafiaboss is running one with 195k on it at the strip all the time now.

@zackmd1 was pretty up there on miles for his car too (imo for a 15). Definitely not 100k yet, but there are probably some in the 80s already.

I'm looking forward to mine lasting a long time with minimal issues. If I can make it without upgrading the car (personal decision rather than necessity) for another 9 years (so probably around 125k on it, but the longest I've had a car is probably 3 years), I'll be in a great financial condition lol

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
The 3.7 is used in the Taurus Interceptor and as far as I know haven't had any issues going 100,000+ miles in police use. The motors remain stout and need very little to keep them going.

I doubt anyone can put an exact mileage. Some are going to blow at 80k and some are going to run beyond 200k miles.

mafiaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.AutoMafiaRacing.com
First Name
Kalob
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang 3.7 V6
Our car has 196,000+ miles on it. And its literally a racecar. All it does is drive to meets, go race, drive into the trailer, and go drag racing 1/4 and 1/8 mile. It has nothing but harsh punishment every single day on it.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Forged crank and rods, 6 bolt mains, cylinder oil squirters, etc. and "old school" port fuel injection rather than direct injection really sold me on the long term durability aspect of it.
My only concern, my first oil change at 3000 mi. had a silvery substance in the drain oil. I'm hoping that was just some kind of "break in" anomaly. Now at 7000 mi., it's down a quart, something I haven't experienced in a car in a long time.
But she runs perfect and I will have the oil analyzed at the next oil change.
Looks like a real engine under the hood too, an added bonus. Not hiding under a plastic cover.
IMG_1918.jpg

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
I just recently turned over 115k on my 2015. I've since reduced the amount of driving for work from 36k to 20k per year, most of the mileage was done in the first ~2.5/3 years. (Purchased 2/28/15).

Runs like a champ. I do full synthetic changes every 7500 or 8000 miles. Changed the trans fluid at 110k. Doing the rear diff next. No problems with the engine.

FWIW when cruising at 65 I can get 30 MPG or over, thanks to 3.15 gears & since NJ is mostly flat.

I had it tuned for a period of about 6 to 8 months for 93. I returned it to stock since I didn't think it was worth it, but the point is these can take punishment and keep going.

I did have my brake booster fail @ 40k miles, but obviously it is unrelated to the 3.7.

This motor is a good one, sadly it will always get trashed for being "just a V6". I would buy it again, for sure.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I had it tuned for a period of about 6 to 8 months for 93. I returned it to stock since I didn't think it was worth it, but the point is these can take punishment and keep going.
Why not tune on 87? Still an improvement I'm sure (still waiting for mine, submitted the tune form yesterday even though I actually paid a year ago lol).

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Why not tune on 87? Still an improvement I'm sure (still waiting for mine, submitted the tune form yesterday even though I actually paid a year ago lol).
I like the factory tune. I personally do not like harsh shifts, sensitive throttle etc. I can just put it in "S" for that. When I had my 93 tune, it took a TON of back and forth to get the shift harshness and throttle sensitivity to where I liked it.

I use mine as my daily and dont track it or anything, so I don't need the extra power from a tune.

Ramn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6, 2007 Ninja ZX-6R
Forged crank and rods, 6 bolt mains, cylinder oil squirters, etc. and "old school" port fuel injection rather than direct injection really sold me on the long term durability aspect of it.
My only concern, my first oil change at 3000 mi. had a silvery substance in the drain oil. I'm hoping that was just some kind of "break in" anomaly. Now at 7000 mi., it's down a quart, something I haven't experienced in a car in a long time.
But she runs perfect and I will have the oil analyzed at the next oil change.
Looks like a real engine under the hood too, an added bonus. Not hiding under a plastic cover.
What is that strut tower bar?

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Have 60K miles on my 2016 3.7 and still enjoying the car. Change oil every 6000-7000 full synthetic which is the same interval i used on my 2001 mustang 3.8 v6. It had 245K miles and was still running strong when i traded it for the 2016.
Plan to keep this car a long time......

I tried engine tunes for a short while but the poor quality of gas in my area stopped that. Even when filling up from major brand stations ran into problems where the car was not running right(stalling, stumbling). Once the tune was returned to stock problem solved. Reliability is more important to me than a small performance bump. I now run an any octane tune (MPT) that only changes transmission shift points. Really like the change for daily driving.

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Update:
Here's what Blackstone had to say about my second oil change sample.
"JOSEPH: Thanks for letting us know that you saw metal flakes at the first oil change. It's not too
uncommon to find some metal in break-in oil, and since the metal flakes cleared up this time (as they
should), your Mustang is fine. Sure, there's some extra aluminum and silicon in this sample, but they're still
just lingering break-in material that should leave the system soon. The other metals already look fine next to
averages (based on oil run ~6,400 miles for these Ford engines), so the engine is shaping up well for you.
Just check back for progress at the next oil change." End of quote.
Castrol Edge Syntec 5W/20

Aluminum was 10 ppm, average s/b 4.
Silicon was 38 ppm, average s/b 17.
Everything else was normal.
Also, pics. of drain oil. First change at 3200 mi., 5-17-18, full of metal flake.
Second at 7500 mi., 1-05-19, looked normal.
IMG_9478.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
I am at 74,450 with an MPT 91 octane tune. Thinking I might de-tune down to the 85-87 option since I am out in California where gas is more expensive. Change my oil every 5,000 miles (full synthetic). Changed my coolant, transmission, differential, and radiator fluid at 50,000 miles just to keep things at an even pace...will do it again once I hit 100,000. Thinking engine will last me at least 170k before I put her down.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
what do you guys think that adding an intake will do for longevity? Just bought the C&L one for $300. Not yet installed it. Do you think I can still put serious miles on this car with one?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, just make sure to clean it and you'll be fine. It doesn't do much other than change the sound, but if its a closed box (I can't remember which the C&L one is) it won't be that different.
Sponsored