Max Hp on a Coyote Auto Trans?

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What is the max rwhp a 2017 coyote 5.0 Auto Transmission can handle before needing to build/ upgrade?
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
How much power are you looking at putting through it? Hopefully people with similar power levels can share their experiences...or people who have had transmissions fail can share their failure modes. Otherwise, I don't know if you're going to get an exact number on this.

Often what kills an auto trans is heat and there are a lot of variables that can contribute to this. Input power, stall speed, slip between shifts are al significant factors. The usage of this car will be another huge factor. If you're just using it for drag racing, the transmission might hold up to a power level that it wouldn't tolerate in a road racing situation where it was subjected to prolonged stress. Likewise, if you're running slicks, you'll have a narrower margin than you would with street tires.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
FWIW, this is supposedly a stock 6R80 running in the 8s. Not sure how long it will hold up to this but that is freaking impressive.

OP
OP
Nawsad123

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How much power are you looking at putting through it? Hopefully people with similar power levels can share their experiences...or people who have had transmissions fail can share their failure modes. Otherwise, I don't know if you're going to get an exact number on this.

Often what kills an auto trans is heat and there are a lot of variables that can contribute to this. Input power, stall speed, slip between shifts are al significant factors. The usage of this car will be another huge factor. If you're just using it for drag racing, the transmission might hold up to a power level that it wouldn't tolerate in a road racing situation where it was subjected to prolonged stress. Likewise, if you're running slicks, you'll have a narrower margin than you would with street tires.
Car is already pushing 680rwhp with around 530lbs of torque. Thinking if I even think about doing additional mods (e85, pistons/rods) I would need to do the tranny first. Car is street driven, never dragged

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What is the max rwhp a 2017 coyote 5.0 Auto Transmission can handle before needing to build/ upgrade?
There's not really a 'max' number, but around 650-700 hp. Anymore or if your gonna thrash on it I'd go clutches & steels, billet intermediate shaft, and a 4c torque converter.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I made about 150drag strip passes at 650 to 700whp. (Various mods over that period.) On a car that had a race weight of 4100 pounds. I got 2 passes at 800whp and the intermediate shaft broke. Clutches were also slipping. Obviously everything will depend on your driving style. You can probably get away with 1000hp. if your a cars a coffee guy that never uses the power. Or 435hp will kill your transmission if you beat the crap out of it.
Sponsored