Massive price hikes on used Mustang models

Arashk998

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arash
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hey, couldn’t find any threads on this topic so decided to make one since it’s been really confusing to me that no one talks about it. There’s been massive price hikes in the used market for all mustang models. Is that because of the higher prices for the MY21 models? 2018 used models are going for around £40k?!!! That used to be the original MRSP
Sponsored

inky5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0GT Fastback
Great news for all of us with 2017/18 MY cars..! Also really happy to be in the £155 RFL bracket.
I‘m guessing the price hikes are due - as you say - to the cost of the new cars. Exchange rates, Import Duties etc…
Not sure that I could ever justify the price to change for a new one now!

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
In Australia we are also seeing big increases in all second hand cars,not just Mustangs. This has been attributed to Covid and the impact of supply and demand.

Redbaron289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang GT
All used cars are going up in price. There is a shortage of new cars because of the worldwide chip shortage. Many plants are shut down, so it’s a supply and demand issue.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There is a shortage of new cars because of the worldwide chip shortage.
hmmm i think that’s what the dealers will tell you....
Last year was horrific for automotive retail, there’s fields full of cars as globally most dealers were shut for at least part of the year and there’s over capacity in the industry.
Matching supply to demand is hard at the best of times, but last year was just a nightmare. Don’t forget that lockdown timings varied country to country, so manufacturing schedules had to switch from a planned Euro mix to African and Asian spec cars and vice versa.
The semi conductor issues - and more worryingly India lockdown - will have massive ripples in the next quarter or 2, but that doesn’t necessarily affect today’s showroom stock. But that stock is not necessarily the model/spec you want.
Mustang is kinda different anyway. I imagine lots more build to order as we are more focussed on our specific dream than just buying a cheap car. There’s also 6 weeks on a boat for a Stang to get here compared to any Euro built product, and semi conductors shortages weren’t really biting then.
Anyway back to topic yeah healthy residuals is good for all of us in this community. Anybody wanna buy a used Mustang 😜

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
All used cars are going up in price. There is a shortage of new cars because of the worldwide chip shortage. Many plants are shut down, so it’s a supply and demand issue.
This. Try ordering a new car at the moment! All goes well until you want a build date - applies to almost all car makers too.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This. Try ordering a new car at the moment! All goes well until you want a build date - applies to almost all car makers too.
I guess that’s the key - build date rather than taken from stock

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
But stock soon falls if they are not being built.
Absolutely, things will get worse before they get better. Just depends on the stock level in your country for the model you want and how picky you are about spec. There’s still forecourt stock today but what that will look like by late summer is anybody’s guess.
I can’t speak for Dearborn but where I work it’s stop/start depending on components.
The semi conductors arent fitted in the vehicle plants, they’re components of electrical parts which mostly come from Asia, so there is a buffer of sea freight parts - which is just about consumed...

Zwerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Volvo XC60
I ordered a new GT in March and was given a build date of 19 May. The dealer called me yesterday to say the build date was being pushed back to mid July due to the chip shortage, so I probably won’t get it until mid September now. 😩

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I ordered a new GT in March and was given a build date of 19 May. The dealer called me yesterday to say the build date was being pushed back to mid July due to the chip shortage, so I probably won’t get it until mid September now. 😩
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back further - if you aim for Christmas then earlier will be a bonus. Ford will not even give a projected build date for some cars at all at the moment.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back further - if you aim for Christmas then earlier will be a bonus.
Wow thats gonna hurt Fords profit. Thats assuming you and others don’t cancel altogether...
Where I work, semi conductor products are on allocation, meaning they are diverted to the most profitable vehicles in the group, and build suspended for the less profitable ones.
Perhaps Ford do the same - maybe more margin in F150, machE etc?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Wow thats gonna hurt Fords profit. Thats assuming you and others don’t cancel altogether...
Where I work, semi conductor products are on allocation, meaning they are diverted to the most profitable vehicles in the group, and build suspended for the less profitable ones.
Perhaps Ford do the same - maybe more margin in F150, machE etc?
It's worse than that because the PHEV is critical in the EU to keep the company average CO2 low enough. The battery recall I believe was written down at £2b last year by Ford partly because of Ford having to buy CO2 credits from Volvo to avoid an even bigger fine.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Every now and then I look on WBAC to see how the Mustang value is doing, most recent was around a month ago.. 2017 with just over 1000 dry miles came back at just over £30k. Now they email me every other day to tell me they want my car.. now I know why.

My Mother is in the market for a new mini and wants one the same as she is trading in, same colour, spec etc.

The colour is Metallic white with black roof. Spec is "Comfort" I believe. She has been told she has to wait until at least August. She asked if they could find one in another dealership, (Lovetts), and was told, with a snigger.. "sorry, we have no stock"!!

Crazy times!!

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
For example in Aust a 2016 GT went up around 8k in the last 12 mths ,but I have noticed it’s dropped back in the last few weeks to around 4 k higher than a bit over 12 mths ago . All our used and new cars went up and so did house prices . House prices are still going up and up . We are 99% COVID 19 safe in this country so people are trying to move here or come back and they need cars and houses ,
Sponsored