Sponsored

March 2018 Mustang Sales

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Even with deep discounts FCA is probably making a pretty penny on the Challenger since the development costs have to be a lot cheaper than both Chevy and Ford to this point.
Sponsored

gmichaelj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang
Those molds/tools/dies for the challenger are well paid off by now for most components, so they're able to deeply discount them and attract the sales right now. If they ever do a major overhaul, you'll see a dip when prices go back up after that "gotta have the latest version" crowd gets theirs.

Also, do these numbers include fleet or rental car sales, I know there are tons of challengers on the rental lots these days, some camaro's, and very few mustangs in the places I travel. What is funny is the mustang and the challengers are always real basic models, but National tends to stock Camaro SS models.
Yes, all manufacturer numbers include fleet and retail sales.

While "deeply discounting them", as you say, can certainly generate sales from customers who might not otherwise buy a particular model, and may not have even seriously considered buying in this market segment, and might also result in some "conquests" from segment rivals, it also undoubtedly moves a certain segment of future sales (of people who were planning to buy your car anyway) forward at lower profit levels.

Which is why I chose to look at last 12 month sales:

Tooling has been paid for, but still needs to be replaced - they aren't using the same tools and dies from 2007.

Given their relative success with an old platform, I believe FCA will keep the same basic styling when they eventually move to a more dynamically competitive platform (Giorgio/Giulia?).

From a business perspective, you have to be impressed: they have moved a lot of metal without the significant engineering costs incurred by platform changes to Mustang and Camaro.
LTMPonyCarSalesMar2018.png

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
From a business perspective, you have to be impressed: they have moved a lot of metal without the significant engineering costs incurred by platform changes to Mustang and Camaro.
Sounds like a great strategy when done properly, part of the reason why I expected the s650 to come in later (so they did when they made the cancellation announcement). And, part of it is me wanting to have more mods/retrofits for my car :ford:

gmichaelj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang
Sounds like a great strategy when done properly, part of the reason why I expected the s650 to come in later (so they did when they made the cancellation announcement). And, part of it is me wanting to have more mods/retrofits for my car :ford:
You know I thought that too (great strategy on FCA's part). And I have thought that for about a year now, since I noticed Challenger sales improving so much.

But then I went and looked for total sales since Jan 10 (the oldest monthly data I could find) and I saw the data below. And then I thought "How much more has Ford profited with greater sales?"

Of course, I don't know how much net profit is, but I do know a good guess for variable profit (Sales minus Direct costs to produce). According to Unifor it is about 40% (http://www.unifor.org/sites/default/files/attachments/977-labour_costs_in_vehicles_0.pdf)

So if one assumes that the average sales price of all Camaros Mustangs and Challengers is about $35,000 and if Ford gets to distribute 40% of the Sales price of each Mustang to Overhead and Dividends to Shareholders, then that means that Ford has taken in about $1Bil more than GM and about $4Bil more than FCA since Jan '10. So I think that pays for the additional engineering costs for Mustang. Modified body in 2010, new engines in 2011, new body in 15 and update in 18.
PonyCarSalesSinceJan10.png

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
It would be interesting to see the cross shopping data for these cars. I would bet that a lot more Mustang buyers cross-shop the Challenger than vice-versa. The impractical back seat takes the Mustang out of consideration from the outset for a lot of buyers.

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
So I downloaded monthly sales data from goodcarbadcar.net and calculated a running total of last 12 month data to see the TREND of Mustang/Camaro/Challenger sales.

Based on the levels and trends I see in the data, Dodge Challenger sales look very solid to me. Much less variation in sales than Mustang or Challenger:
hopefully chart will post
Looks like a 7 year chart but yes, plenty of sales for the Challenger.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
The camaro is in the supercar bracket and the sales numbers should be analysed as such. You don't see anyone asking how many 488's that Ferrari sold.
That's a bit of a reach, No Camaro is a supercar. ZL1 1LE has amazing performance but a supercar it is not.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's a bit of a reach, No Camaro is a supercar. ZL1 1LE has amazing performance but a supercar it is not.
The original comment was sarcasm, I'm sure, based on what a review and so many Camaro owners say.

gmichaelj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang
Looks like a 7 year chart but yes, plenty of sales for the Challenger.
Yeah, its a "running," maybe I should say "on the run" total that starts for the 12 months ending Dec 2010 and runs through March 2018.

So the first point has Jan 10 thru Dec 10 then the next point drops Jan 10 and counts Feb 10 thru Jan 11, and so on till now which shows Apr 17 thru Mar 18

LTM or TTM (trailing twelve months)

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The Challenger must be a cash cow for Chrysler. I mean how old is that body style? 10 years? All the crash testing was done a long time ago. Theoretically, they should have ALL the bugs out of the thing. I was, and still a bit tempted to do a Hellcat. HATE the name, however.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
You know I thought that too (great strategy on FCA's part). And I have thought that for about a year now, since I noticed Challenger sales improving so much.

But then I went and looked for total sales since Jan 10 (the oldest monthly data I could find) and I saw the data below. And then I thought "How much more has Ford profited with greater sales?"

Of course, I don't know how much net profit is, but I do know a good guess for variable profit (Sales minus Direct costs to produce). According to Unifor it is about 40% (http://www.unifor.org/sites/default/files/attachments/977-labour_costs_in_vehicles_0.pdf)

So if one assumes that the average sales price of all Camaros Mustangs and Challengers is about $35,000 and if Ford gets to distribute 40% of the Sales price of each Mustang to Overhead and Dividends to Shareholders, then that means that Ford has taken in about $1Bil more than GM and about $4Bil more than FCA since Jan '10. So I think that pays for the additional engineering costs for Mustang. Modified body in 2010, new engines in 2011, new body in 15 and update in 18.
It's true, with the stang always selling more than anything. On the other hand, r&d is costly and risky as hell, i.e. the camaro. They were doing alright, until the 6th gen. Maybe fca has decided not to take that cost and risk and just ride the cash cow for now.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Dodge fanboy here and I love the Challenger and was tempted to get a Scat pack but I feel like I would get Hellcat jealousy. Since I can barley afford a Hellcat but can't afford the insurance. LOL. Got a Mustang
Get the scat insurance on a HC sucks. Acceleration up to 60 is close unless ur a pro driver. Big difference is speeds above 60

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The Challenger must be a cash cow for Chrysler. I mean how old is that body style? 10 years? All the crash testing was done a long time ago. Theoretically, they should have ALL the bugs out of the thing. I was, and still a bit tempted to do a Hellcat. HATE the name, however.
Lol the name is like 20% of the reason I wanted the car hahaha

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Man you need to go over to c6g everyone there says the camaro is a stupid car I mean supercar :lol:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well camaro sales 5245 wonder when Greedy Motors will cancel there poor selling superturkey. Funny how this thread has went from poor selling supercar camaro to Challenger fan club. :lol:
Sponsored