Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Well, as most of you know we have been hard at work developing cylinder heads, fuel system upgrades, and built shortblocks. All these products are finally coming together and we are getting closer and closer to the testing phases. I will be using this thread to update, as often as possible, our quest for a 700whp, 10 second Ecoboost Mustang.

If you haven't seen our Ecoboost Cylinder Head development thread, I highly suggest you head on over there and have a read. Some really good information over there, and good results. Here is a quick glimpse:

*the surface isn't decked that is how it comes from Ford. We don't deck until we are ready for final assembly*

Now, lets go over what that chuck of ported aluminum is going to be going on. We have been working with Darton for custom sleeves for the 2.3 block over the past month. After 3 revisions we finally settled on a set of sleeves that are going to work for our application. I won't be sharing pictures of the sleeves themselves or the block until it is ready for assembly. Once full machining is done, cleaned, and ready I will get you pictures of under, in, and around the block. For now, we need to keep it underwraps!

Pistons. These play a key part in our quest, so they needed to be exactly what we wanted. JE Pistons delivered, and delivered well. We opted for a full custom piston instead of an off the shelf solution, as off the shelf pistons weren't available in our configuration.

Specs:
  • 10:1 Compression
  • True Asymmetrical Design
  • 9310 Wrist Pins
  • Ceramic Coated crown
  • Skirt coating
  • Forced Pin Oiling
  • Provisioned for +1mm valves and higher lift

As you can see in the picture above we kept the factory style fuel cavity in the piston crown for concentrated burn. It has been radiused (radiis) out to eliminate hard edges for potential hot spots, which also offset the compression that was increased when we lessened the volume of the outer crown dish. On the factory piston there was a "moat" style edge just before the edge of the piston. This was another area for hot spot concerns especially because we retained the fuel cavity. We had the depth of the moat decreased a few cc's to help. Also assisting in hot spot protection is the crown coating (light gray film in pictures). Whatever steps I can take to prevent detonation during tuning at this power level, is going to be performed.

Here you can see the rest of our internal selections. Starting from the top left and moving down, then finishing on the right. Here is the list of components:

• Pistons
  • Timing gear for pinned crank
  • Balance shaft delete kit
  • Piston rings
  • Tri-metal race bearings
  • Wrist pins
  • I-beam Rods

The timing gear in the picture is a custom piece from a company in IL we collaborated with. We shipped them our crank and they pinned it and provided us the new timing gear, key way, and balance shaft components. The bearings are from King, which we use in every engine that leaves our shop. Last but not least we come to the rods. These are off the shelf I-beam rods from Manley that we lightly machined to provide desired bearing clearance. The engine will go through our normal machining process which is 100% done in our facility. Having all the machines to machine, clean, and assemble our own engines cuts down significantly on time, and allows us to have full control of our quality. We have very high standards when it comes to our shortblock offerings, and we couldn't trust anybody to provide the same level of detail.

In some cases this means we have to build our own tooling to achieve the final product we desire. What we have above is our custom cylinder head pressure tester plate, and our torque plate which any machinist can purchase from our site. The pressure tester bolts to the cylinder head with a factory Ford MLS head gasket in between and pressurize the combustion chamber to double check our valve machining. This also helps in making sure the sealing surface is optimal, to a point however as we can't replicate the exact combustion scenario the cylinder head will ultimately see during operation. The torque plate is used during the honing process. It simulates the cylinder head being bolted onto the engine so the cylinder walls are in their "stressed state" during machining. If you machine and engine without a torque plate the taper and round of the bore will be distorted once the head is bolted on, which can cause the piston to wall clearance to be off and potentially cause damage.

Now, we move onto the fuel system. We posted in a few other threads we were working on an Auxiliary fuel supplement system. This isn't ground breaking technology at first glance as it has been around for I would say 20 years now, but when you combine old school technology with new school mentality you get, well...this. A complete plug and play, E85 safe auxiliary fuel system. This very kit we have on our build will be available to you in a painless package. It will include throttle body plate, fuel rail, injectors, fittings, pre-assembled hoses, injector driver software/hardware, and instructions. No modifications to your factory fuel system will be needed, simply disconnect, and reconnect. The system is only running when it is needed, as it is boost activated. We will be offering a baseline E85 tune with the kit, but if you are pushing the factory fuel system with any other fuel the ability to tune it yourself or have us E-tune it is available.

We hope this kit will provide enough fuel to reach our goal, but if not a 4-port injection system is on standby to support over 1000whp. With the ability to swap out injectors on the production throttle body plate from 580cc injectors up to 2000cc injectors I think big power is going to come easy, and safely. We will have to keep an eye out for any fuel puddling symptoms if we have to increase injector size. However, I think with our injector angle design, and our atomization strategy we shouldn't run into any issues if we bump up to 2x 1000cc injectors. Time and testing will tell!

The next update will revolve around our suspension, wheels and tires, and driveline upgrades. We have some items on the way, so expect an update soon!
Sponsored

TurboAg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP 6MT
Approximate cost of fuel system upgrade package?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Looks good Adam. This is close to what i am searching for my EB (600 HP). I will be watching this thread closely. Thanks for responding to my email by the way. :cool:

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
Awesome, I can't wait to see all of it come together.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Approximate cost of fuel system upgrade package?
Should have pricing together next week, I'm starting the tuning early next week. Once that is finalized and we know for sure we don't need to make any changes we will develop a price and do a run of kits.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
This just became my favorite thing on the Internet.

Sponsored

EB_SVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Very excited for this! Subbed :thumbsup:

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
this is a serious build. This will be exciting to watch unfold!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.