Sponsored

Many mods... front end rattle

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Getting a suspension rattle over bumps, esp. while turning at <20 mph intermittently passenger side.

When first heard it was strut to spindle bolts not torqued. Torqued them down with blue locktite and ordered fresh set. Sound gone for 300+ miles. This time they were still fine (new ones not here yet). Also checked sway bar end links (BMR Adj)

Checked the top out on ground and the strut top nut is very tight but spins. Don't think it's this one, but I'm gonna put a gun to it.

Three little strut mount nuts (maximum Motorsports caster camber plates) were good. Wheel lugs good.

It's a fairly significant rattle.

However a short Test drive didn't reproduce noise. Could be something else not secured during alignment? What do they mess with on the front end alignments? I can tell you the dealer did not tighten to spec the strut to spindle bolts following alignment, twice. Rolled out of the dealer with the noise.

Any ideas? Tempted to put the OEM sway bar end link back on.

Current Suspects: strut to spindle bolts, engine mount, sway end links, stupid hood brace(OEM).

Mods: Ford racing struts, Steedas springs, sways, mounts, K and tower brace, BMR Sway end link, max Motorsports caster camber plates
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Are the springs progressive? If so, do you have isolators on them where the softer portion of the spring is? The springs kissing during bump/compression could be it.

When you installed the springs, did you ensure that the springs were compressed enough to fully seat the strut mount and apply the proper OEM TQ Spec to them? To test this, jack the front of the car up with the tires/suspension drooped. Then jack up the tire/wheel by itself and visually check under the fender well area for movement of the strut assembly before the tension of the strut is felt.

Also, I have had some customers already experience failed strut mounts when re-using them. Did you re-use them, or acquire new ones for the install? The plastic ball bearing races in the mounts are prone to cracking, which can cause noise.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Are the springs progressive? If so, do you have isolators on them where the softer portion of the spring is? The springs kissing during bump/compression could be it.

When you installed the springs, did you ensure that the springs were compressed enough to fully seat the strut mount and apply the proper OEM TQ Spec to them? To test this, jack the front of the car up with the tires/suspension drooped. Then jack up the tire/wheel by itself and visually check under the fender well area for movement of the strut assembly before the tension of the strut is felt.

Also, I have had some customers already experience failed strut mounts when re-using them. Did you re-use them, or acquire new ones for the install? The plastic ball bearing races in the mounts are prone to cracking, which can cause noise.

Good luck!
Wow - thanks for the insight!

Springs are progressive - no isolator. Never saw any. .... Thing is it's often just a medium rough patch while going straight that might deflect the wheel rearwards suddenly.. I would think the 2nd stage would be out of the loop in this. However, I do get knocks going turning over curbs.

Compressed enough? - I think so. I'll have to check this. not clear what to look for. So when I start jacking up the wheel by itself, I will see some kind of movement of strut assembly before tension if not torqued? Or do I have to do something to check for movement? Where would I look for movement? Up by the tower down to the bottom? (Was under impression torquing needed to be done when on ground. Missed this. Can I correct this without pulling everything again? If I have to pull it all again... (4)... I might go in another direction.

New strut mounts? Yes.

Thanks again.
Sponsored