Sponsored

Manufacturing Imperfections on Brand New Carbon Rim

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
There are manufacturing imperfections all along the inside lip of my passenger front rim. The imperfections are all the way around the inner lip. You can see the clear coat is pitted and there is some decolorization appearing to be white specs. The driver's side rim was free of any imperfections.
I have 800 miles on the car and I put new Z26 pads on and today while thoroughly cleaning the passenger front rim I notice the imperfections.
Has anyone else encountered this?

I wonder if this was the imperfections that were fixed thus killing the carbon fiber handling pack cars?
This is not damage like the rim was dropped or something. The pits are smooth as if the clear coat was applied poorly. These are not chips. They look very much like the clear coat was applied in a piss poor manner.

The white specs are smooth as if something got under the clear coat. They are failry evenly disbursed around the entire lip.

rim2.jpg

rim3.jpg

rim4.jpg

rim5.jpg

rim6.jpg

rim7.jpg

Rim.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That's normal. They don't put an emphasis on the inside of the rim. I know because I have asked the source. If it bothers you, you can try to get a warranty replacement, but they probably aren't going to replace that wheel. There is nothing wrong with it.

Edit:
That is not the kind of stuff to warrant the wheel to be cosmetically flawed and thus painted. Again, the stuff you are seeing is of zero consequence. They focus on the face of the wheel to ensure it is cosmetically perfect. The CFHP wheels had minor imperfections in the exposed carbon beauty weave. Again what you have is not piss poor or significant. If you don't like it, you can either fix it yourself or sent it off to spyder. I seriously doubt you will get a replacement wheel. If you did, you may find the same exact issue.

It's normal.

Good luck with your warranty claim. When they send you packing, I would be happy to answer questions on how to fix it if you are willing to spend some time.

And another edit:
The CFHP car wheels started out as cosmetic defects. When they ran out of those, they began to use normal CF wheels and applied paint. The project was very short lived and those wheels are very rare. I have a few sets of those. The beauty in the CFHP wheels is that they can be driven and not worried about. They are super easy to repair because the exposed beauty weave is not present. Repair and repaint..... easy peasy.

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
yeah thats in the resin. anybody who's worked with CF or fiberglass knows it well.
this is like complaining about trash in the paint on the underside of your car.

perfection doesn't exist this side of heaven.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s also known as solvent pop. What your seeing is very minor. I completely get the concern on a car like you purchased. There’s some pretty simple ways to correct that but I wouldn’t attempt it if your not pretty experienced. It’a really simple if you are. Back in the early 90’s BASF put out some speed clears that literally had it so bad you could see full bubbles in the top coat.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the replies. I knew it was purely cosmetic and in no way a safety concern. It struck me as a bad application of clear coat because the driver's wheel was perfect on the inner lip. Zero imperfections. To have one wheel look so perfect and the other not even close, I thought I would ask if others have seen this on their rims.

Being cosmetic and on an area that is rarely seen and even then only when the wheel is removed, I did not expect or even consider a warranty replacement.

Sponsored

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Thank you for the replies. I knew it was purely cosmetic and in no way a safety concern. It struck me as a bad application of clear coat because the driver's wheel was perfect on the inner lip. Zero imperfections. To have one wheel look so perfect and the other not even close, I thought I would ask if others have seen this on their rims.

Being cosmetic and on an area that is rarely seen and even then only when the wheel is removed, I did not expect or even consider a warranty replacement.
I for one admire the OCD honestly. I understand.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I for one admire the OCD honestly. I understand.
Me too. My '22 has more than a few "imperfections" that annoy me. None of which are to a degree that makes me want to take it in for repair, perhaps causing other concerns. They are fit and finish concerns. I will say, it took some of the pleasure out of a new car. As I get older, I seem to be getting more tolerant and understanding that nothing is perfect.

When my 2000 Viper was new, the polished wheels turned orange. It was decided to be polishing command that wasn't removed before the clear.Since it was on the face of the wheel, Chrysler eventually replaced them. It was a project. They don't, and apparently Ford doesn't warranty "Finish" concerns the back sides of the rim.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A six-figure Ford should not have imperfections.
Without seeing the rear rims yet, they are batting .500. The driver's side was perfect on the inner lip. In MLB you would be the best hitter ever if you hit that mark. LOL.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
A six-figure Ford should not have imperfections.
No disrespect, but you don't know what you are talking about. the CR wheels before going into OEM production in mass quantity were a 20k a wheel proposition. They mass produced them to a point that they could be had outside of Ferrari or any other high end mfg for a reasonable price.

It is a Mustang. People seem to forget this. A Mustang. Gee, why is the fit and finish off...... Gee why is the paint as good as a rental car...... The fact that these wheels are as available as they are is quite impressive. You ought to rethink your position.

If you want perfection, you better be willing to pay for it. I recommend that if the said wheel is not up to mfg quality, submit a warranty claim or buy a brand new wheel and keep sending it back until you get one that you are happy with.

The alternative is get your hands dirty and fix it yourself.

This topic is unrealistic in expectations. A warranty claim will validate that point.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Without seeing the rear rims yet, they are batting .500. The driver's side was perfect on the inner lip. In MLB you would be the best hitter ever if you hit that mark. LOL.
Submit a warranty claim.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
No disrespect, but you don't know what you are talking about. the CR wheels before going into OEM production in mass quantity were a 20k a wheel proposition. They mass produced them to a point that they could be had outside of Ferrari or any other high end mfg for a reasonable price.

It is a Mustang. People seem to forget this. A Mustang. Gee, why is the fit and finish off...... Gee why is the paint as good as a rental car...... The fact that these wheels are as available as they are is quite impressive. You ought to rethink your position.

If you want perfection, you better be willing to pay for it. I recommend that if the said wheel is not up to mfg quality, submit a warranty claim or buy a brand new wheel and keep sending it back until you get one that you are happy with.

The alternative is get your hands dirty and fix it yourself.

This topic is unrealistic in expectations. A warranty claim will validate that point.
Should be perfect for a Ford of that price

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Submit a warranty claim.
Why? You have already stated it’s useless to do so. You are stuck on this warranty claim deal when no one else brought it up including me in my original post.
They are capable of perfection. The driver’s side wheel is evidence of that. It’s a manufacturing flaw that I pointed out and wanted to know if others have the same issue.
Apparently they do and it’s an easy fix if one wants to go that route on something that will likely never been seen unless the rim is off of the car.
Trying to make this thread something it’s not is not productive.
Besides, 50 years from now when the car is worth $1,500,000 due to its special paint :), the experts will notice the rim has been sanded and re-coated thus decreasing the value of the car to $1 for the fact it was no longer a 100% untouched original example. LOL.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Trying to make this thread something it’s not is not productive.
I couldn't agree more. What you have is a normal production wheel. Stop whining about it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Besides, 50 years from now when the car is worth $1,500,000 due to its special paint :), the experts will notice the rim has been sanded and re-coated thus decreasing the value of the car to $1 for the fact it was no longer a 100% untouched original example. LOL.
I knew it. Another HEP ego. Its paint.. Lol
Sponsored