Manual VS Auto

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
"I've driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed."
What are the chances? I had that song in my head all night then see it here...
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... and know exactly where to drop to for instant acceleration.
That's precisely one of the things I won't ever like about automatics - the fact that they do respond to what your right foot is doing. Far as I'm concerned, the skinny pedal on the right is for controlling engine output at the flywheel and nothing else.

Doesn't matter that an automated downshift is faster than me, either; I shouldn't be driving in a frame of mind (or shortage of attention) that might suddenly demand a faster downshift than I can manage by myself.

Norm

15flounder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Why rev-match? Picture a curve with a decreasing radius. You enter the first part in 3rd after shedding speed from the straight but it gets so tight, you’ll need to exit in 2nd. How else could you make the downshift without upsetting the balance of the car? I rev-match because it’s the smoothest way to downshift.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Why rev-match? Picture a curve with a decreasing radius. You enter the first part in 3rd after shedding speed from the straight but it gets so tight, you’ll need to exit in 2nd. How else could you make the downshift without upsetting the balance of the car? I rev-match because it’s the smoothest way to downshift.
If you aren't downshifting before you enter the turn, you aren't downshifting correctly.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
He did say 'decreasing radius turn', the idea being that entry speed might be too high for 2nd and apex speed too slow for 3rd.

There have been a few times on the track when I've caught slower traffic in a turn that I would normally use 3rd for, but they were moving enough slower than I would that 2nd became the right gear to be in to get around them.

These may not be common situations, but they do exist and your driving "toolkit" should be able to handle them.

Norm

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I switched to the" Dark Side" on my 2020 GT and I really like the A10...…..A lot. My 2018 GT was a blast with the improved 6 speed. I added a polyurethane bushing to the shifter mount and the Steeda Clutch Spring for ease of operation. And I have been grabbing gears since 1961. Hell my 1987 Monte Carlo was only available with auto but I changed it over to a 4 speed Muncie. So yes I live , breathe, and love, stick shift. But I have to tell you that A10 is an animal. Just my two cents.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
He did say 'decreasing radius turn', the idea being that entry speed might be too high for 2nd and apex speed too slow for 3rd.

There have been a few times on the track when I've caught slower traffic in a turn that I would normally use 3rd for, but they were moving enough slower than I would that 2nd became the right gear to be in to get around them.

These may not be common situations, but they do exist and your driving "toolkit" should be able to handle them.

Norm
Maybe I'm a rookie, but I'm in the exit gear before I enter a turn. Too much imbalance to shift midway. You need to be as smooth as possible through the apex.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe I'm a rookie, but I'm in the exit gear before I enter a turn. Too much imbalance to shift midway. You need to be as smooth as possible through the apex.
What I'm saying is that it doesn't always work out that way. The times it doesn't, you're not going to be at max-lat, and your technique should easily be smooth enough for you to pull it off at, say, 8/10ths.

Norm
Sponsored