Sponsored

Mantic twin plate cerramet' experiences on SC 15-17...prove me wrong?

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I am running 2016 725RWHP and a while back decided to fit a Mantic, i ran it in like an saint and few pulls later it melted. Replaced by Mantic as faulty, so all good there. New one fitted 18 months ago but only done 4k miles with all Covid lockdowns in the UK. Again I ran this in for 800 miles.... (to be sure) but It still is notchy, grabby and jerky, low revs / speed you can here it whooshing ( i get that with a twin plate I think) and the only way I can ever make it semi ok is to ring the kneck out of it a few times then its bearable. Like you have to warm the thing up.
I know of only 4 Mantic clutches fitted to UK cars and 3 of them have had replacements under warranty. We are OK with stick shifts over here before you say anything :) I am at the point where I just want to rip the thing out, but if you drive a MANTIC in a SC car could you please let me know your views and good bad points? Is it really all its hyped up to be? Not sure what else I would fit a Lethal Perm' HD seems ok but I don't want to bin the Mantic at that price if it can be cured. Any thoughts would be great.....
Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I am running 2016 725RWHP and a while back decided to fit a Mantic, i ran it in like an saint and few pulls later it melted. Replaced by Mantic as faulty, so all good there. New one fitted 18 months ago but only done 4k miles with all Covid lockdowns in the UK. Again I ran this in for 800 miles.... (to be sure) but It still is notchy, grabby and jerky, low revs / speed you can here it whooshing ( i get that with a twin plate I think) and the only way I can ever make it semi ok is to ring the kneck out of it a few times then its bearable. Like you have to warm the thing up.
I know of only 4 Mantic clutches fitted to UK cars and 3 of them have had replacements under warranty. We are OK with stick shifts over here before you say anything :) I am at the point where I just want to rip the thing out, but if you drive a MANTIC in a SC car could you please let me know your views and good bad points? Is it really all its hyped up to be? Not sure what else I would fit a Lethal Perm' HD seems ok but I don't want to bin the Mantic at that price if it can be cured. Any thoughts would be great.....
I dont have a Mantic in my car, but posts like these are the reason I didn't pony up for one when I blew my Exedy last year. Lots of posts from people having similar situations to yours and the clutch is like $2k?!?! Hard pass.

OP
OP

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I dont have a Mantic in my car, but posts like these are the reason I didn't pony up for one when I blew my Exedy last year. Lots of posts from people having similar situations to yours and the clutch is like $2k?!?! Hard pass.
What did you go for. I am looking for something else. The lethal hd one seems ok?

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Ben calimer recommends the lethal performance clutches, but I have to think it might have something to do with the fact that they sell his transmissions on their website, doesn't mean they aren't good clutches just haven't heard of anyone running them. Seems like there are a bunch of gripes about the McCloud clutches also but seems like only the bad experiences are posted online not so much the trouble free ones

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
What did you go for. I am looking for something else. The lethal hd one seems ok?
The Lethal LPX clutches seem to be getting great reviews and that’s what I was going to go with, but my local shop that does nothing but Ford steered me toward a Spec Super Twin. I only put 30 miles on it driving from the shop to put it into storage for the winter, but I love how it drove. Zero chatter with a light pedal and smooth take off. Engagement point is about mid way through the travel, which I love.
A7CBAA89-9A3F-4CCA-A036-F85C34C3A679.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
The Lethal LPX clutches seem to be getting great reviews and that’s what I was going to go with, but my local shop that does nothing but Ford steered me toward a Spec Super Twin. I only put 30 miles on it driving from the shop to put it into storage for the winter, but I love how it drove. Zero chatter with a light pedal and smooth take off. Engagement point is about mid way through the travel, which I love.
Thats an
Thanks..will check it out. Interesting to see its tech specs

OP
OP

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
Did you go for the ss version or above. What hp you running ?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have a LPX twin disc going in with my Whipple stage 2 kit. Hoping to pickup the car later this week and I'll provide some feedback on it. McLeod makes the LPX clutches.

I agonized about clutch selection for my Whipple project for months. I considered the Exedy Mach 600, but really did not want a heavy single disc in this car with all the street driving I do. I emailed back and for with Spec about their options as I ran one of their clutches in my old car. They were pushing the Stage 2+ single over the SS-trim twin disc for some reason.

Then I talked to Lethal and decided to give the LPX a try. I like that it's kevlar and can handle abuse and heat, but is more forgiving than a ceramic clutch. I do some drag racing, so an organic clutch was out of the question. The only thing I wish the LPX clutch had is a sprung hub, but hopefully that's not a big deal.

I'll report back once I pickup the car!

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
If mcleod makes the lpx clutch ill pass, heard nothing but good reviews on mcleods power holding abilities but almost every review including YouTube has issues with chattering which doesn't cause any problems but I'm not going to put something that makes that kind of noise in my car it would drive me nuts. I'll spend 600 more for a sprung hub mantic

Sponsored

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I've been running a Mantic Twin with organic discs on my Whipple Gen 3 Stage 2 setup for about 20,000 miles now. I went with organic to avoid these issues and not blow my trans up. There was a longer break in period than I expected to get rid of all the noises, but it seems twin discs in general are known for this. I don't launch my car and the clutch has been great so far, but it's definitely at it's limit as I've had some occasional burning and slippage at 7500+ rpm shifts.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
The noise is acceptable to me with my twin disc cerametalic mantic, but not being able to downshift is annoying and haven't found what the issue is from all the people that have the exact same issue on their gen 3 car. At this point I almost want my $2300 back

MacKinnon654

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The noise is acceptable to me with my twin disc cerametalic mantic, but not being able to downshift is annoying and haven't found what the issue is from all the people that have the exact same issue on their gen 3 car. At this point I almost want my $2300 back
I've been fighting the same issue since August last year. Car won't come out of gear under decel. I ripped it out sent it back and Geoff put new disks in it. After break in it started doing the same thing again this year. I'm asking for my money back and going with a McLeod RXT and calling it a day. I don't even enjoy driving the car at this point because of the issue.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I will be pushing for a refund as well, I need to ship it back to him this week, put the stock back in and the car feels like it should again. I only replaced the clutch cause the tranny was hurt so I changed it cause I was already removing the tranny, that ended up biting me in the ass, also my thought process was spend more for better performance, also wrong about that. I might try centerforce they have a 18+ sprung hub or just get the tried and true mcleod rxt or lpx HD (also a mcleod) with Kevlar clutch material

MacKinnon654

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just purchased a LPXHD today I'll let ya know how it goes. Hope to get it in the next few weeks.
Sponsored