Sponsored

Man I'm sick of looking at used Mustangs, taking a break and shop again next week...

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT, PP/Prem
I have been looking at trading in my GTI to get into another Mustang, I had previously owned a 2015 GT base with PP, some nice bolt-ons, etc but the base infotainment and lack of carplay, sat radio, and leather seats pushed me into something more comfy for commuting. Now that I drive less for work I want to get into another one and going to buy a nice used model with premium and performance package if I can find it. Lots of options under $27k at local dealers but the quality of the cars is vastly different and the dealers seem blind to what the market is on these.

Over the last 3-4 weeks of casual browsing and inquiring on autotrader and cargurus I have seen the same cars sit for weeks at the dealers, one in particular was on cargurus for 45 days before I went to see it. They fall into 3 categories so far...
-Car looks great in pictures and seems to check out until you see them in person and realize every piece of sheet metal has a scratch with crappy touch up or highway dings all over the front, etc.
-Car looks great in person but drives janky because the previous owner bounced it off the rev limiter at every stoplight. I've driven two cars that was clearly needing repair, one with a CEL on the test drive.
-Lastly is the cars that push the limits of what can legally be sold. In my state we have emission/safety testing and as far as I know a dealer can't sell you a car that can't pass those test. So how the hell can a dealer sell a car with no catalytic convertors or mufflers, CEL's that they claim will go off eventually because the car has an intake that requires tune on it but they flashed it back to oem to certify the car.

I was so tired of the bullshit from Ford dealers selling Certified cars Saturday afternoon I just couldn't take it anymore and snapped at the sales manager that was thanking me for coming by and wanted to know how to earn my business. I had come in to see a 2017 with aftermarket wheels and a slightly lower ride height but was labeled online, and still is, as a Ford CPO car. When I got there I checked out the car, got on the ground and can see the sway bars were aftermarket, crappy welded exhaust with no mufflers or resonator, intake requiring a tune, and lowering springs on stock shocks that should keep this car from being CPO'd by Ford. When I asked if they were going to reduce the price by the $1,495 for the certified warranty because of the aftermarket parts they told me the price didn't include that and it was non-negotiable on the price. When I brought up the autotrader add on my phone to show them what it said they claimed that the car "could" be certified if I negotiated it into the deal. I decided to play along and see how far we could take this so I insisted we walk back to the service and finance guy that handles the Ford certification process, we met with a guy in finance and he confirmed that the car couldn't be certified with all those parts on the car but I could buy an aftermarket warranty. When I told him that would likely be voided by the mods as well and then pointed out that the cats had been removed they said it would need to go in the shop before they could sell it.

What the hell is wrong with these Ford dealers, am I wrong for expecting them to at least put a car up on the lift before claiming CPO and putting up for sale?

One huge dealer I went to Saturday is apparently really big on buying branded title lemon/buybacks from Ford and putting them on the lot. Their adds say nothing online and the only thing you have to indicate it is if you look at the Carfax. These cars were priced just as a normal title car would be, grossly overpriced for a branded title car in my opinion, so any normal person walking up to the largest volume Ford dealer in the area would assume this $27k 2015 mustang gt with performance and premium package that looks great and drives great must be good to go, why else would this huge Ford dealer put it on the front of their lot right?

So I am taking a hiatus for a few days, no autotrader, no cargurus, I'm just going to wait until Friday evening and update the search engine to see if anything decent comes up at a dealer within 100 miles of my house.
Sponsored

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to look here on the site. We are all very enthusiastic about our cars and typically take better care of them as a result. It is a safer bet that we care more about our cars than the typical car buyer who is trading their used mustang in at the dealer. Buying from a private seller is also usually much cheaper as you don't have the dealer markup. Hope you find your way back into an S550 soon. Best decision I've made! !

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Find some more money and buy a new one ?

If your looking at used $27k cars and they all suck that bad, find a little more money. There’s guys posting here that bought new Mustangs for not much money more.

Good luck. Used car Market is a nightmare. I just went thru that buying a used truck.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I understand your frustration, been there. When you are a car enthusiast, whether it is a GTI, Civic SI, Fiesta ST, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, or any performance car it is very difficult to find one that has been driven sensibly, been well taken care of, no dings, dents, etc. Heck, lately even when I looked at and test drove NEW cars, there was something wrong- alignment, tires out of balance, etc. It's especially hard to find a manual transmission used car that has not been beat or driven improperly. It's not impossible but hard. I too got tired of test driving new Camaros, used Corvettes and even one used 2017 Mustang GT that all did not drive quite right. The GT, the apparently had a lowering springs on it, short shifter, aftermarket exhaust. The springs were removed, short shifter left on it. I test drove it, it did not feel quite right and I for sure did not like the short shifter. the exhaust sounded OK, perhaps a tad loud for my taste. So I went and looked at a brand new 2018 base GT- it looked perfect, drove perfect, sounded so nice and tracked so laser straight (I test drove it 2 times like a used car) and I end up buying it and I love it. I choose it over a used C7 Corvette and a new Camaro.

Whether new or used, it's a matter of finding one you really like and it drives to your satisfaction. Take a break and keep looking- maybe even look new and at a base model? I got my base GT for 30K. I'd rather a base model brand new than a loaded one used that did not drive right and/or I have to work on it or modify it to make it right.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I know of a full Cobra Jet setup 2016 GT CS auto that is available in Houston. Minty fresh and VERY well kept.

Actually, I know of several great cars for sale. Maybe youre looking at the wrong dealers?

Sponsored

OP
OP

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT, PP/Prem
Well I'm in Dallas and had been looking strictly at large dealers, mostly Ford dealers, and just assumed I would be looking at a better quality of car but it hasn't worked out that way.

I put my car up for sale and have had some interest but there is a $1,400 value to trading my car in in tax savings. And so far I am able to get trade offers close to what I'd sell my car for so I'd be better off trading the car in.

I bought my '15 new and I considered doing that as well I just don't want to jack up my monthly too much, and I don't want another base model. I'd end up spending a couple thousand on infotainment upgrade and seats in the first few months, better off saving some money buying a used premium 6mt.

I can certainly afford to blow it out and buy exactly what I want but I'm trying to practice some restraint for once, I got these kid$ man lol...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Dude. Don’t you know better than to buy used performance cars (especially Mustangs that are always messed with). I only buy new cars period. Most guys would be bouncing off the ceiling to be looking for a car to buy. And you already burned out. I say buy something else. Camaro or Challenger or whatever. Your only option with the Mustang is to buy new base again if you can only go upmarket used otherwise. Leave this forum and hang out with the Camaro guys or the Challenger guys and see if you get enthused.

It looks to me that if you bought a Mustang again you would get bored after a few months. I’ve never seen “burnout” looking for a car where you had to take a break. Take that as a message from the heavens. Plenty of fish in the sea...

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Seems like you have two things killing your enthusiasm. 1) the obvious pitfalls of trying to buy a used mustang, and a used car in general 2) You already traded out of a tang, but now want back in. Only this time it's used. The novelty isn't there.

Why don't you just wait until they have some good deals on new ones? It would eliminate the used bullshit, and give you that nice new car tingly feeling.

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
I have been scouring the market for a low miles 10,000 or less, '13 B302 for a reasonable price, that has not been beat. Most are listed at $33-$40.

That caused me to examine the 2019 Mustang GT's that can be had for $40'ish; better cars for sure. I wish Ford was offering a Mach One version right now, it would be home already.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'll sell you mine for $30K. Full Steeda suspension and custom tune. Plenty of tiny rock chips because Ford's paint is garbage. No certification, no warranty. Premium package with Shaker. Trunk carpet is dirty because I use it. Will go faster around a road course than you can. I'll even throw in both keys! :)

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd try the private seller route. Yes there are tax savings trading a car in, but the purchase price in a private sale should be lower so its a wash. At least with a private sale, you can meet the seller, ask questions, talk about mod and maintenance history, and judge whether you feel comfortable buyer from him/her. I was fortunate to find my 16 with only 12k miles at a dealer, previously owned by an older gentlemen. It was meticulous with no mods, and I got the car for 25k, or almost 10k less than I would a comparable new one. Yes the used car market is a pain but there are good cars and good deals out there. Good luck!

MacSrc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep GC Altitude
I feel your pain. I looked for a long time myself, however I got lucky and found a 2015 Premium Performance Package 401A with Leather Recaros, 1 owner and only 5,500 miles on it

Bought it on September 1st

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Here is a real life example:

I love Vettes and back in the day a guy I worked with wanted to get a Corvette before he and the girlfriend got hitched. He knew I knew Corvettes in the era so I would tag along and make sure the thing wasn’t wrecked or the brakes/hubs were not corroded up and crap like that. Soon we took care of Toronto and were traveling great distances out of town, having breakfast in truck stops as we searched for that Holy Grail.

THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN!

And that is how it’s suppoesed to be! You need that love for when you have to shell out for that custom stainless steel dual exhaust or pay a mechanic almost 600 bucks for custom one of a kind armoured spark plug wires for the old Corvette LT1 motor (can’t believe I did that). You have to truly love the car. Go check out some other cars. You will either groove to the car that steels your heart or come back with a greater appreciation of the Mustang. That is what you should do. My prediction is you end up with an F150 truck.

“This has happened before - This will happen again...”

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Buy once, cry once, buy new. Or buy the seller in a private party transaction.
Sponsored