Sponsored

Mak cat delete performance pipe exhaust setup with magnaflow 12599 resonated X muffler

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Hey guys, I ordered a Whipple , shooting for ~750-775 rwhp on low boost on e85. I think I will be removing the stock cats and trying to find a setup that works for me without cats because I dont want to melt them and possibly damage my motor or anything. I live in a condo and I dont want to have insane cold starts, they are already almost too loud with just the MBRP 3" catback street exhaust setup with stock cats. Also I am a bit concerned of smell. Ill be on e85 though so I hope the smell shouldnt be too bad without cats.

Current plan is to get the Mak cat delete pipes , possibly add some stainless steel exhaust flex sections, then run that into a magnaflow 12599 3" resonated x midpipe muffler then connect that to the 3" pipes that run to the MBRP street mufflers.

If this is too loud or smells too much, I think I would try to find the highest quality aftermarket cats and have those welded into the mak performance pipes, I think gesi has some ORX cats that they rate to 1000+ hp per bank , but ive heard conflicting reports about any cats surviving above 750 hp for extended runs or track sessions.

This sounds like a pretty complicated setup with a lot of custom stuff, I hope its not some abomination but I think it wont be too restrictive at all. If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations , or any reason this setup wont work or wont last or will sound horrible etc , please let me know.

Ill post some pics of the inside of the magnaflow 12599 once I receive it, I am thinking its a good packed resonator x pipe design but couldnt find any inside views online.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Maybe it's just me, but I can never smell a difference without cats. Nothing noticeable anyway. Pretty much every vehicle I have owned has had the cats removed.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hey guys, I ordered a Whipple , shooting for ~750-775 rwhp on low boost on e85. I think I will be removing the stock cats and trying to find a setup that works for me without cats because I dont want to melt them and possibly damage my motor or anything. I live in a condo and I dont want to have insane cold starts, they are already almost too loud with just the MBRP 3" catback street exhaust setup with stock cats. Also I am a bit concerned of smell. Ill be on e85 though so I hope the smell shouldnt be too bad without cats.

Current plan is to get the Mak cat delete pipes , possibly add some stainless steel exhaust flex sections, then run that into a magnaflow 12599 3" resonated x midpipe muffler then connect that to the 3" pipes that run to the MBRP street mufflers.

If this is too loud or smells too much, I think I would try to find the highest quality aftermarket cats and have those welded into the mak performance pipes, I think gesi has some ORX cats that they rate to 1000+ hp per bank , but ive heard conflicting reports about any cats surviving above 750 hp for extended runs or track sessions.

This sounds like a pretty complicated setup with a lot of custom stuff, I hope its not some abomination but I think it wont be too restrictive at all. If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations , or any reason this setup wont work or wont last or will sound horrible etc , please let me know.

Ill post some pics of the inside of the magnaflow 12599 once I receive it, I am thinking its a good packed resonator x pipe design but couldnt find any inside views online.
Won't be that loud don't worry. Specially with a resonator it will sound tame, and there is no rasp with cat deletes either.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This magnaflow 12599 is a beast.. definitely a 3" resonated partially straight through x, but also pretty big and heavy. I am a bit concerned about fitment now. Mainly the thickness I suppose. Its about 2 inches thicker than the oem resonator. Its 6" thick or so. You can see straight through and the x section is large and open so the flow should be awesome and I think it may be really quiet with this installed.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I'm watching to see what you have to say after you get it installed since I'll be deleting my cats or doing headers before my whipple install.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm watching to see what you have to say after you get it installed since I'll be deleting my cats or doing headers before my whipple install.
If you are lowered I would be concerned with this one fitting. It may be too thick even for a stock height car , IDK yet. Its pretty big, may have to go with bullet style resonators welded into the H pipe. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thickness comparison vs the stock resonator. I tried to make the center of each pipe at the same level to see how much extra space around the pipes will be taken up. I suppose a custom option would be to cut off the bottom of this and flatten it out then weld it back on as a flat part, so that you dont lose as much ground clearance.

It is is unmodified I am pretty sure atleast ~1 inch of ground clearance will be lost if I do install this probably more like 1.5. Also will be about 1 inch closer to the car on both sides of this since the OEM resonator is about 9.5 inches while this 12599 is 12 inch, and 1-1.5 closer the car on the top. OEM resonator is around 4 inches thick the magnaflow is 6 inches. Magnaflow understated the thickness as 5 inch on some of the specs ive seen. It may fit but it would be tight.

As an alternative option , I am considering getting some kooks r300-14 which are just straight through, I could add these to my H pipe pretty easily I think but may need some custom fitting with either of these options.

https://kooksheaders.com/components/exhaust/muffler/3-round-muffler-14-long-polished-stainless-steel

or

18129_5ed77ccf-4a87-44b3-87ab-bbd69d2a0ef3_750x.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Example of modification cuts that could be made to add clearance

Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

edit* Actually the x section of this muffler is massive, I dont know if its really possible to modify this muffler in this way since it opens up so much in the x section, I think it may be like 5 inches vertically in the center of the x section :

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
E85 catless actually smells pretty good so no worries there. If you ever switch to 91/93 though that's where you'll get that smell.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
It looks like a monster and I'm not sure i want the extra weight. Not to mention, trying to get up as far as possible and then getting arattle/thumping noise from hitting the floor pan. I think I'll look at bullet resonators for my X when the time comes in a few months.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like a monster and I'm not sure i want the extra weight. Not to mention, trying to get up as far as possible and then getting arattle/thumping noise from hitting the floor pan. I think I'll look at bullet resonators for my X when the time comes in a few months.
It is big, but I think it will easily be the most effective highest flowing quiet midpipe/resonator available. There is no better flowing option that would be effective at reducing sound as far as I can tell. I dont think the bottle style will reduce sound nearly enough so if I did that I would probably have to change mufflers I am thinking (I may be mistaken though, those kooks bottle style look kind of promising). With this midpipe I think I could remove my rear mufflers and just have tips in the back and actually lose weight, but I dont know for sure yet. I think I am going to go ahead with this massive 12599. Its about 23 lbs , not much more than the OEM resonator I think, maybe 15 lbs more than a H pipe. Not too big of a deal especially if you can delete rear mufflers I think overall I would be losing weight.

I most likely will cut this thing and modify it so it has a flat bottom so there is maximum ground clearance. Luckily my car is higher than stock already since I have 295 35 20 tires which are taller than stock. I will have to do some measurements to make sure this is going to work, probably going to get under the car sometime soon and measure some stuff.

Also if I installed this I will be adding 2 hangers attached directly to the 12599 to hold it in place better.

I do think it would be a lot easier to put in 2 kooks bottle style into my H pipe. Hard to decide. I think stuff will have to be customized either way.

@MagnaFlow can you please make a more compact lower profile version of the 12599? I think it will sell well. Also, update the measurement specs listed on your website for the 12599 , they are incorrect.

Last edited:

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
The quiet mode on this would make headers perfect

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
Shoot us some videos when you have this setup done. it should work great and sound should be what you want. Id love to hear it though Im not sure I have heard this particular combo.

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I have the Magnaflow resonator on my car, and it is BIG. I definitely lost a little ground clearance with it, but it hasn't been an issue on stock suspension. I have it paired with OEM Active Exhaust mufflers with the valves locked open (my car wasn't optioned with AE, and got a good deal on the mufflers) and it sounds great.

This resonated X is definitely quieter than the stock suitcase, and it does a great job cutting out low-rpm drone with my current setup. Still louder than stock (i.e. non active 2018 exhaust), but not quite as obnoxious as stock AE track mode, it's the perfect balance for me.
20210122_121150.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Magnaflow resonator on my car, and it is BIG. I definitely lost a little ground clearance with it, but it hasn't been an issue on stock suspension. I have it paired with OEM Active Exhaust mufflers with the valves locked open (my car wasn't optioned with AE, and got a good deal on the mufflers) and it sounds great.

This resonated X is definitely quieter than the stock suitcase, and it does a great job cutting out low-rpm drone with my current setup. Still louder than stock (i.e. non active 2018 exhaust), but not quite as obnoxious as stock AE track mode, it's the perfect balance for me.
Is that the 3" version or 2.5? may be a bit smaller than this one. I got mine modified to have a flat bottom to increase clearance, but that cost more than the muffler its self unfortunately. 200$

Hopefully it works out and fits, and sounds good
Sponsored