OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
Good to know about that one! I did a fun drive a while back, but further south (part of the 3 sisters). I took 16 from Kerrville, down to Medina. Then 337 to Leakey, and then 336 north. It was a blast! Lots of elevation changes and curves. My car felt like it was made just for roads like this. I can only imagine how Magneride would amplify the fun.
It's been a couple of years since I went around there. Very nice.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to the so-called '3 sisters' in the lower TX Hill Country 2 weeks ago, and had a blast. But riding them on the bikes was even more fun. The only bad part was the asphalt is ultra rough, which gave me the impression the car was going to fall apart; had rattles everywhere. It was also under construction in some areas, so still have to determine the carnage after washing (hopefully this week). That FM-1431 road (and 183) looks really nice, but it's way too far away for me.
A group of us drove the 3 Sisters in February. Lots of fun. I didn't notice roughness to the point of rattling the car too much, but rock chips are definitely a hazard. I put track day tape on my front bumper. You can see one guy in the pic with green painters tape on his, lol.

Polish_20200923_225325058.jpg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A group of us drove the 3 Sisters in February. Lots of fun. I didn't notice roughness to the point of rattling the car too much, but rock chips are definitely a hazard. I put track day tape on my front bumper. You can see one guy in the pic with green painters tape on his, lol.

Polish_20200923_225325058.jpg
That’s a lot of painter’s tape! Whatever works right? I got paranoid and put clear protection on my front bumper before my trip. Still have it on there.
When I went, the only real notable rough spot was a section of road that had been washed out, where they laid down rock as a temp measure. I think that was on the western side of the route. It was maybe a football field in length so we simply rolled slow over it. No problem. For anyone considering a trip like that, TxDot has an interactive map that details things like road damage, construction, etc. I knew it was there before we left.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....tortuous......
undulating......
scabrous.......
repidation.......
unblemished......
revelatory.....
Exorcised.......
clichéd.......
detracting......
qualifiers........
exultant.......
1605622672651.png

Intellectual, vocabulary based peacock feathers.

Next time, do Track mode.

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1605622672651.png

Intellectual, vocabulary based peacock feathers.

Next time, do Track mode.
I drive a Rapid Red Mustang, so hey, peacocking is my trade!

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Then 337 to Leakey, and then 336 north. It was a blast!
The best stretch of 337 is between Vanderpool and Leakey; awesome mountain twisties. I took 335, which is a lot faster than 336 (more twisty, ideal for bikes), basically being able to not slow down from 60 mph normally. But it was just paved, and awfully rough, with tons of loose gravel, so had to take it easier on the curves. Did 336 on the bikes the day after, and it was even worse than 335, so had to slow way down, and only did that one once. We were able to ride 335 much quicker the following day, since the road was swept... but it was still gravelly in several areas.

I didn't notice roughness to the point of rattling the car too much
The new asphalt is much rougher than the old one, unfortunately. But the worst stretch by far was all of 377, from Del Rio until 41, when I was coming from Big Bend (which also has incredible roads; we spent 3 days riding there). The faster you go, the more the car rattled, but I wasn't going to do 55 for that many miles. Ha ha. The best part of that trip was ZERO pull-overs, which was really cool, since TX troopers love harassing drivers like me with no front license plate. And for speeding too, but my V1 and good luck (I was by myself for long stretches, where an RD is useless against instant on).

The loose gravel should be mostly gone by now, or in a couple more weeks, since traffic eventually kicks it to the side of the road.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Now then, where did I put that English to English dictionary?

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... since TX troopers love harassing drivers like me with no front license plate.
If you don't have a plate, you might be a drug trafficker! A great way to generate revenue, or just for us plebeian subjects to be reminded who's the boss of whom, by having to make a trip to physically get the fix-it-ticket certified.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
If you don't have a plate, you might be a drug trafficker! A great way to generate revenue, or just for us plebeian subjects to be reminded who's the boss of whom, by having to make a trip to physically get the fix-it-ticket certified.
I hate driving outside of the city for this reason. City police have never even looked twice at me for running no front plate, but if you see a sheriff, dps/trooper, constable.. you can believe you are getting pulled over. I had one pull an immediate u-turn on a 60 mph 2 lane road to come after me, all because i didn't have a front plate.

OP
OP
Carzzi

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was pulled over not too long ago as well. Got let go with a warning.
Sponsored