Sponsored

Magneride daily driving car

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
I did a search aboit magneride on the forum but my answer if it dles exist is burried in mutilple subjects thread.
I have a 2018 GT onvertible. I m satisfied with the comfort for every day even in bad road it s not so bad.
will i get more comfort with magneride ?
Some other cars that have magneride it doesn t not it s just stifen the supsension to improve precision and control.
But in the mustang does it increase confort in relax driving conditions ?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I went thru that when buying my car, and the consensus was that MR rides better, and handles better than the regular suspension. So in theory, your car should be between normal and sport MR modes. But my guess is if that's true, it's probably very close to normal mode, as it's stiffer than I anticipated. And it might actually be a little stiffer even in normal mode. But in sport, it handles awesome, when tackling the twisties, so I'm happy with it.

If you don't want or need the extra handling, then you better drive (or ride on) one before making the swap, because it might not be worth it to you. Good luck.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went thru that when buying my car, and the consensus was that MR rides better, and handles better than the regular suspension. So in theory, your car should be between normal and sport MR modes. But my guess is if that's true, it's probably very close to normal mode, as it's stiffer than I anticipated. And it might actually be a little stiffer even in normal mode. But in sport, it handles awesome, when tackling the twisties, so I'm happy with it.

If you don't want or need the extra handling, then you better drive (or ride on) one before making the swap, because it might not be worth it to you. Good luck.
to be honest i find mine confortable in normal drive but not tight enough in twisties. So it could be a good improvement for this. I hope in the other way it could be more confortable in normal driving. It s dofficult to try one here in Canada. Dealers usually have a little inventory that you can try. A lot are custom orders so you can t drive them it s normal

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Keep in mind, MR is only available on Performance Pack cars. So while you're getting a system that adapts to road conditions, that improves comfort, and enhances handling, you're also moving up to a generally more "sporty" suspension if you're coming from a non-PP/base suspension.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind, MR is only available on Performance Pack cars. So while you're getting a system that adapts to road conditions, improving comfort, and enhancing handling, you're also moving up to a generally more "sporty" suspension if you're coming from a non-PP/base suspension.
Good point it s a part of equation that is important

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I did a search aboit magneride on the forum but my answer if it dles exist is burried in mutilple subjects thread.
I have a 2018 GT onvertible. I m satisfied with the comfort for every day even in bad road it s not so bad.
will i get more comfort with magneride ?
Some other cars that have magneride it doesn t not it s just stifen the supsension to improve precision and control.
But in the mustang does it increase confort in relax driving conditions ?
Magneride is a huge upgrade over the stock suspension and provides a more comfortable ride than regular. For sure a good optional add on to have when purchasing a new mustang.

Lt Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Convert
Hi All - Newby here from the UK - Great Website - I have the 18 Gt Convert ( TY ) 10 speed auto with Magneride, now I might be wrong but I think the MR kicks-in in the sport mode and competition modes - not the normal drive mode
Which if this is correct ( being what the salesman thought ) then yes the normal drive mode seems to be more giving than when in Sport - in Sport or Sport + the suspension seems to stiffen up a little and coupled with the change in gearing, steering stiffening and exhaust note ect - the whole experience is a feel of wanting to go rallying ( lol ) and to be honest i like the idea of Magneride and how it all works, plus Ford agents over here tell me that with the option it makes the car easier for re-sale when the time comes
If there`s a downside so to speak - the rear is still left a little loose and the Nylon bushes kit seems to be missed - the back end feels a bit rose-jointy and feels like the car will kick-out a little easier than it actually would do - just my opinion
I really need to find a quiet car park or open space to practice a few broadsides ect to get a proper feel for the handling and what the car will actually cope with before leaving the road to 360 - another possible downside is that I understand the suspension on a MR version can not be messed with at all eg - lowered ect
However if I was factory ordering again as I did do with mine - I would still order with MR
Car just had second service (2yr) @ 7k mls

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hi All - Newby here from the UK - Great Website - I have the 18 Gt Convert ( TY ) 10 speed auto with Magneride, now I might be wrong but I think the MR kicks-in in the sport mode and competition modes - not the normal drive mode
Of course not, it makes absolutely no sense. Magneride works in all the modes, shocks are still there and they will adjust damping based on all the car inputs just use different calibration in Normal mode vs. Sport / Track / whatever.

Answering question asked by the OP - Magneride is much better damped than OEM struts / shocks so in Normal mode most people will consider that more comfortable. It does not equal ride softness / firmness though.

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone, it gives me an idea. Last question, what is the replacement cost of magneride ? Is it a reliable part ?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
A lot of confusion from some here on what Magneride actually does I think !

Magneride ONLY concerns the dampers (although there are other changes to the MR cars suspension such as different hubs but not really relevant to behaviour)

It has it's main effect on primary ride where the dampers can quickly vary their 'stiffness' if you like. Secondary ride is less affected.

Magneride is always active - the switched modes just vary the damper performance tending towards greater control at the expense of ride quality in the more aggressive settings.

As 'kz' alludes to, ride is a combination of spring rates, dampers and bushings. When you can vary the damping on the fly you can be well damped when you need it and more relaxed on other occasions. A good example is when driving on the sort of jiggly road surfaces found on French B roads where the magneride is able to act like a magic carpet as well as providing better contact with the road surface and good control.

It should also be considered that over firm damping will harm car handling on anything but race track smooth surfaces. Magneride allows the wheels / tyres to maintain a better contact patch on rougher road surfaces by being less damped when it needs to be.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Thank you everyone, it gives me an idea. Last question, what is the replacement cost of magneride ? Is it a reliable part ?
Magneride dampers can be refurbished and they have no valves, so in theory will have less failure points than traditional dampers.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Another possible downside is that I understand the suspension on a MR version can not be messed with at all eg - lowered ect
Even Ford performance have a kit with springs, sway bars and a new calibration. @SteedaTech and @BMR Tech also have options :like:

WD :like:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Dampers themselves are significantly more expensive than anything standard - if I recall struts are ~$450 vs. $80-100 for Ford OEM standard ones. Other than that you have ride height sensors (which are relatively cheap plastic parts) and VDM module in the trunk that is unlikely to break.

Having said all that, to date I have never seen complaints about reliability of these. Also, I believe the dampers themselves are same part used on regular Mustangs, GT350s and GT500s.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Magnaride will not make a car feel like a 70's Cadilac but it can take a car and make it feel more like a BMW.

IF what you desire it float, MR will not give that in a Mustang but it will mute rough road and make a car feel very attached over poor surfaces. Increasing sportiness, will make that stiffer feeling but improve handling.

To me, my PP2 takes the sharp jolt off the ride and makes the car eat up the bumps very well. In Sport or track, it feels much stiffer and the suspension displays the condition of the road.
Sponsored