Machine gunning?

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I haven't heard anyone talk about this but I can't be the only one that's tried this before...

We all love the sound of the Voodoo overrun right? Give it some gas, then let off, while it's engine braking you hear all of the signature crackles and pops. As Matt Farah put it "It sounds like you're being chased by the civil war".

Now instead of completely taking your foot off the gas, have any of you rested your foot on the throttle just a little bit as it's engine braking? It sounds like a damn machine gun! When I took my little cousin for a ride he kept telling me to do the "machine gun sound!" and was absolutely loving it.

My question to you guys is: If any of you have done this before, is this bad for the engine/exhaust?

Hopefully I'm explaining it well because I don't have a video but I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed it before. I love the way it sounds but I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. :shrug:
Sponsored

Indyorangepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition Orange 15' GT base 6 spd
I used to drive an old dodge work van on a route at night and hold the gas pedal to the floor while turning the ignition on and off at cruising speed and it would boom like a freakin cannon! lol. Scared the crap out of oncoming traffic as the would pass me in the dead of night !lmao, it was fun till the muffler blew up like a balloon and fell off! The owner, my boss at the time offered to sell me the van once for $50 but It wasn't even worth that except for making noise!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I remember reading on this forum, one of the Ford Performance guys mentioned about letting off the accelerator pedal, but keeping the gas pedal @ ~10% to really hear something special. Looks like you figured it out yourself.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
I haven't heard anyone talk about this but I can't be the only one that's tried this before...

We all love the sound of the Voodoo overrun right? Give it some gas, then let off, while it's engine braking you hear all of the signature crackles and pops. As Matt Farah put it "It sounds like you're being chased by the civil war".

Now instead of completely taking your foot off the gas, have any of you rested your foot on the throttle just a little bit as it's engine braking? It sounds like a damn machine gun! When I took my little cousin for a ride he kept telling me to do the "machine gun sound!" and was absolutely loving it.

My question to you guys is: If any of you have done this before, is this bad for the engine/exhaust?

Hopefully I'm explaining it well because I don't have a video but I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed it before. I love the way it sounds but I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up. :shrug:
Mine rarely crackles when I take my foot off the throttle completely. I don't know why? However, one day I accidentally discovered what happens when you rest your foot slightly on the throttle. I was giggling like a little school girl after that. :D

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I've noticed with mine, mostly in fourth gear, that you can blip the throttle and it revs a little without increasing forward motion. Doing this and easily backing off makes for some beautiful cracks n pops.

Sponsored

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Unfortunately when you're behind the wheel you don't get the full effect of how good these cars really sound. At the end of the track attack our instructors were doing their hot laps and you could hear but not see the cars across the valley. Sound was ridiculous. I was also shocked to hear the rotors pinging from the thermal expansion when they came to a stop in the pits.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Without the resonators, there's a lot more pops. I do seemed to notice they increased with some light throttle but I never really thought it was a direct or intentional consequence of that. Thanks for posting this.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
You can do that just sitting and blipping the throttle. But then you'll get yelled at by the organizers of the local Cars and Coffee for "demonstrating" your exhaust. (Which is exactly what I was doing...) :headbang:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I was also shocked to hear the rotors pinging from the thermal expansion when they came to a stop in the pits.
Mine does this all the time after I pull into the garage. Don't your rotors do that?

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
You can do that just sitting and blipping the throttle. But then you'll get yelled at by the organizers of the local Cars and Coffee for "demonstrating" your exhaust. (Which is exactly what I was doing...) :headbang:

Isn't demonstrating your car kind of the point ?

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Absolutely, but if they let me do it, they'd have to let all the Camaro and Vette lumps do it. That would have been fine with everybody, I think, especially since we were at the unused end of a strip mall that hadn't opened yet. But they put the show together, so I don't have any problems playing by their rules - even though I was providing a public service to the car enthusiast community. :D

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Would have this happen all the time on my bike with custom stainless straight pipes..loved it...told my Master builder about it, said the only issue is it kills your gas mileage...not a big deal unless you are on a bike with a 2.5 gal tank...I didn't believe him..so I tested it out...and Ill be damned he was right. I got about 7 miles per gallon more....for what its worth.. Don't know if it kills our gas mileage...don't care most of the time...unless I'm in the middle of backroads with no good gas near by...
That said, I have Kooks long tubes and x pipe, and it does it beautifully. May daughter and I call it Burbling...Burble.burble.burble

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
I have the privilege of doing this going down the hill I live on every day going to work. It's hilarious because it starts right by an elementary school. Sounds like rolling thunder the whole way down.
Sponsored