Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
For those talking about gears in an electric car, the Porsche Taycan has 2 forward gears.
Sponsored

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Currently The price difference between a Mach 1 Premium and a Premium GT PP w/magnaride, & active exhaust is only $3480 , FYI
I'd say well worth it for the Track Experience, Shelby suspension and cooling parts, Mach 1 name and styling....etc
Personally I paid $56,500 for my Mach 1 Premium with A10, Wheels, red brembos so I'm pretty happy with my timing.
I so badly wanted the Mach 1, for the coolers. June 2021 I was buying a “track only” car, and went with a new, old stock, 2020 Premium PP1 A10 PP1 MR for $45K (about $15K cheaper than the cheapest Mach1 I could find). Everyone said I wouldn’t overheat anything with the factory GT PP because I didn’t have much track experience. That lasted 1 track day.
I ended up spending $6Kish for Trans/Oil coolers and doing some work to cool the rear diff. Should’ve went Mach1 to be honest, my Mishimoto oil cooler isn’t doing the trick, entirely. Diff and Trans are good.

On-Topic, I test drove, and absolutely LOVED a brand new factory tuned/lowered 2020 Supra 3.0. I bought the Mustang for the backseat, and V8 sound. But if I could cram my then 6yr old boy in the back seat (if Supra had one), I might be driving a Supra.
The sound of the Supra with whatever exhaust was on it, was almost as equally as pleasing as my Coyote. It was more F1 like, vs muscle car like. Apples to oranges, but I was thrilled.

When I look back now, I can fit an entire set of track-wheels/tires in the Mustang, and a 5gal can of gas. Hard to do with a Supra.
I have 3 other vehicles and 2 which are tow vehicles, but it’s another level towing to track vs driving.

I like the Mustang back seat.

Last edited:

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
Jason is a great dude, talented driver, and his videos are usually stellar. If you need to kill 15 mins go back and watch his GT350 review. Super insightful piece.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm looking forward to taking a close look at the new Z. I have no need for a back seat (no living being has been in the back seat of my S550), the looks and performance are there, and a smaller and (slightly) lighter car is a big plus.

Not to mention Nissan hasn't gone off the rails with the pricing like Ford has with the Mustang.

Last edited:

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
it the Tremec that adds to the allure of the Mach 1. The auto shouldn’t have even been available.
As I stated somewhere, lol, drove friends new vet (auto) and my M1 is much more of a drivers car. Feels more involved, sounds better. I think chevy found out a long time ago that they sell more autos, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I can't wait to see and laugh at the markup at US Nissan dealers on the already overpriced Z. I bet people will be paying $65K out-the-door.

Pity... I was really, really looking forward to this car.
Right. I was thinking of waiting and getting the Z instead of the Scat Pack, but kind of glad I didn't now. If it was going to be around 45k for the sport model it would have been a good deal, but at 51k plus 5-6k markup, kind of hard to swallow. I think the other two are a bit overpriced too though. I was tempted to look into trading for the mach until they raised the prices and the Supra is tempting too as I love the motor, but its a little over styled IMO and there are not enough options or paint colors to make it different than every other one out there. I know there is aftermarket, but still.

josaycuervo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1 (MT, Velocity Blue)
And honestly how many people are actually using the backseats in the mustang anyway. With where I have my seats set up front unless you are a 2 year old or have no legs you aren’t sitting back there. I think the Z will do great. I like the look of the Supra, but its too expensive for what it is. I would buy a Z, looked forward to seeing it updated, but honestly for me nothing beats the sound of the coyote.
I've also thrown friends back there in a pinch or quick fun ride. I'm 5'07 so it's not hard to fit people behind me.

josaycuervo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1 (MT, Velocity Blue)
The Mach 1 comparison is a little weird. The Z in Performance trim is more comparable to an A10 GT PP1, without Magneride.

So pricing wise it undercuts the Z by roughly $3k. The interior in cloth trim may be a little worse but I don't see the Z up to the level of the Supra (BMW) in overall quality. Really makes the $50k ask even harder to swallow, unless you're a hardcore Z fan.

I also just can't shake Nissan's recent past rep of being objectively worse than it's Japanese counterparts (Mazda, Toyota, and Honda). Rust issues, CVT issues, and their Infiniti twin-turbo engine not having great long term reliability, which this Z uses.

Mach 1 out of the equation I'd take the Supra without question.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
The Mach 1 comparison is a little weird. The Z in Performance trim is more comparable to an A10 GT PP1, without Magneride.

So pricing wise it undercuts the Z by roughly $3k. The interior in cloth trim may be a little worse but I don't see the Z up to the level of the Supra (BMW) in overall quality. Really makes the $50k ask even harder to swallow, unless you're a hardcore Z fan.

I also just can't shake Nissan's recent past rep of being objectively worse than it's Japanese counterparts (Mazda, Toyota, and Honda). Rust issues, CVT issues, and their Infiniti twin-turbo engine not having great long term reliability, which this Z uses.

Maybe. I know I am over-generalizing but the first 2-3 years of most new models (or new generations) of vehicle can be problematic until all the kinks and bogeymen can be re-engineered out of the vehicle. So it could take the Z that long to become as reliable as one expects from Japanese models. My tactic was 'normally' to give a new model that long to mature before buying it and it has worked for the 20+ years I have owned Japanese vehicles.

The problem with at least some of Ford's products is they can't seem to get things fully perfected at any time during a model's lifetime. The Mustang S550 should have been perfect by 2017 or 2018, but instead, they are/were still having body and powertrain issues in 2021 models. I've resigned myself to the likelihood I will be doing repairs to my '22 GT on an annual basis almost right out of the chute. It is what it is I suppose.....

I guess what I am saying is sometimes a higher purchase price of quality and reliability more than makes up for the costs and headaches of repair over many years of ownership.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla

They are better than Subaru.

jmhutner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue Mach 1
The Tremec is a great transmission but that statement is just poor business sense. Ford would have lost out on a good chunk of Mach 1 sales if they didn't offer the automatic.

No wonder auto companies don't usually listen to enthusiasts.
Do you think they lost out on sales of the 350? As far as I could tell, they sold every one they made fairly easily.

jmhutner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue Mach 1
This could get messy fast. My view is, over 700 hp get an auto, under 700 hp get a manual. That’s just my opinion I don’t hate on autos they will beat me easily. I just find autos with a lot of gears quite boring.

I think the Nissan z looks good btw
With the no-lift shift and the rev matching, the Tremec is so fun to drive. If you need to be a tick faster, get some boost. If you factor in the cost of the auto, you are already a good way there.

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Do you think they lost out on sales of the 350? As far as I could tell, they sold every one they made fairly easily.
I think the 350 is a more special car than the Mach 1 because of the motor, but it's possible that some people would've gotten one if it came in automatic too. It's hard for me to say lol.

People who want to get a manual have the option, but offering an automatic as an option will only net you additional customers who either can't or don't want to row their own gears.

At the end of the day, I think being able to choose which transmission you want is better than being restricted to one or the other.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
And honestly how many people are actually using the backseats in the mustang anyway. With where I have my seats set up front unless you are a 2 year old or have no legs you aren’t sitting back there. I think the Z will do great. I like the look of the Supra, but its too expensive for what it is. I would buy a Z, looked forward to seeing it updated, but honestly for me nothing beats the sound of the coyote.
Hey I put my hat back there and sometimes a small cooler!
Sponsored