IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I don't and in hindsight, probable should.

Your video from the ridge is awesome. Your improvements give me hope I can get to where I want to be.
Thanks. I bet you'll find it worth it and you can also set the rpm limit you want.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I was extremely impressed with the factory pads. Only once did I come into the paddock and smell brakes. (That was 4th session and hottest point of the day.)
As you push this car more, especially if you take it to a track that is hard on brakes, you will see that stock pads wear out extremely fast. They are ok for few sessions at the start, but they are street pads after all. It gets too expensive and impractical to use them on tracks long term. Let alone the fact that race compounds will give you sooo much more.

I have another car that is very track capable out of the box (not mustang), and it has stock pads that are very similar. I took it to couple tracks that are easy on brakes, it went very well. Then I took it to Watkins Glen... My original set of pads lasted half a day, while I was expecting full weekend out of them. Thanks god one guy had exactly same car and a spare set of brand new stock pads that he agreed to sell. They lasted one more day. For the third day, I was basically avoiding any hard braking, and yet by end of that day I had 2mm of material left.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
As you push this car more, especially if you take it to a track that is hard on brakes, you will see that stock pads wear out extremely fast. They are ok for few sessions at the start, but they are street pads after all. It gets too expensive and impractical to use them on tracks long term. Let alone the fact that race compounds will give you sooo much more.

I have another car that is very track capable out of the box (not mustang), and it has stock pads that are very similar. I took it to couple tracks that are easy on brakes, it went very well. Then I took it to Watkins Glen... My original set of pads lasted half a day, while I was expecting full weekend out of them. Thanks god one guy had exactly same car and a spare set of brand new stock pads that he agreed to sell. They lasted one more day. For the third day, I was basically avoiding any hard braking, and yet by end of that day I had 2mm of material left.
I completely understand, and agree with you . My Lemons car smashes a set if race pads in one weekend. Doesn’t matter the brand…Hawk, G-loc, Carbotech, we’ve run them all down hard.

I’m sure at some point as I get better I’ll need to step up to a better pad for sure. But I was very impressed at how well the stock pads help up at Sonoma.

I’m guessing stockers will last me another 1-2 track days then it’ll be time for sure.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Was at The Ridge Raceway in WA this Friday. Nice dry day that got hot. 3rd time at The Ridge. First time I got a 02:09, the 2nd with similar conditions 01:58 and this time 01:55.61. So improving. With these humble improvements, I am finding the Mach1 pretty capable. I was hanging with and passing some of the Porches etc. The GT3's are still a challenge. Here's a Youtube clip of a lap hanging on with a Ferrari 488 and Porche GT4.

My fastest lap
Looks good dude, you are pushing harder for sure. I miss that track!

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Here is an alternate view lap of me chasing a pair of beautiful cars. GT500 and GT350. (Talked briefly with the owner of the GT500, nice guy.

Had to pit to drop my passenger because he was sea sick. (Lesson learned, don’t offer a ride to the guy in the paddock spot next to you until you ask if he’s prone to motion sickness. 😂 )

It was mildly annoying cause we would have stayed together for a while.

The creaking sound is the camera mount. Need to adjust the focus in the future so track is clearer. I like this view cause I can see what my hands are doing and work on hand placement and steering discipline.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Here is an alternate view lap of me chasing a pair of beautiful cars. GT500 and GT350. (Talked briefly with the owner of the GT500, nice guy.

Had to pit to drop my passenger because he was sea sick. (Lesson learned, don’t offer a ride to the guy in the paddock spot next to you until you ask if he’s prone to motion sickness. 😂 )

It was mildly annoying cause we would have stayed together for a while.

The creaking sound is the camera mount. Need to adjust the focus in the future so track is clearer. I like this view cause I can see what my hands are doing and work on hand placement and steering discipline.

Looks to me you could of taken them. What camera and app you got back there? I wanted to put my iphone on with Harry's lap timer but wouldn't be able to access the phone easily enough to start the lap.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Looks to me you could of taken them. What camera and app you got back there? I wanted to put my iphone on with Harry's lap timer but wouldn't be able to access the phone easily enough to start the lap.
I have several cameras, but that one specifically is a Logitech Mevo. It’s actually designed for streaming. I like it because you can record with it, live stream, or both. It does have focal adjustments as well. It’s linked to the Mevo app, which is just a streaming app, but you can kill the app once the camera is recording.

And you’re partly correct. The GT350 guys was actually a little faster than me, but once I dumped my ill passenger I got back with the GT500 later in the session and he gave me a point by.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Great day with HOD, at Laguna. First time driving this track. It’s a really fun track, I can see why it’s so iconic. Good elevation changes, some really fun high speed turns. Corkscrew is very cool.

Managed a best of 1:48.19. It’s a respectable number for my first time at the track, but I know with a clean run I can pull a sub 1:46. Never quite figured the braking point into turn 2, and always lifted way too early coming over the hill at the start/finish. That area alone is costing me .75+

Oh, and for those of you with tracks around you with DB restrictions, it was a 102DB limit, and with the car in Normal exhaust mode I had zero issues.

I’ll have a lap video in a day or 2, but got this from the track photographer.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Great day with HOD, at Laguna. First time driving this track. It’s a really fun track, I can see why it’s so iconic. Good elevation changes, some really fun high speed turns. Corkscrew is very cool.

Managed a best of 1:48.19. It’s a respectable number for my first time at the track, but I know with a clean run I can pull a sub 1:46. Never quite figured the braking point into turn 2, and always lifted way too early coming over the hill at the start/finish. That area alone is costing me .75+

Oh, and for those of you with tracks around you with DB restrictions, it was a 102DB limit, and with the car in Normal exhaust mode I had zero issues.

I’ll have a lap video in a day or 2, but got this from the track photographer.

Super cool. I want to do this track next year and trying to arrange someone to take my track tires down for me or I might just ship them and take the long drive down on my PS4s's. The Ridge in WA is similar to Laguna with the corkscrew. But Laguna would be epic.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Super cool. I want to do this track next year and trying to arrange someone to take my track tires down for me or I might just ship them and take the long drive down on my PS4s's. The Ridge in WA is similar to Laguna with the corkscrew. But Laguna would be epic.
It’s a nice facility, and of course the Monterey area is worth a visit for sure. I’m lucky I have family there and it’s only 90 min from where I live. It was nice to have a crash pad for the night so I didn’t have to wake up super early.

Fog is always an issue there late summer/fall, but the cool temps made for a great track day. I think the highest CHT I saw was 204.

Oh and thanks for the tip on the performance shift indicator. Made a huge difference. I think I only hit the rev limiter once or twice.

Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Fast lap of the day. Still some room for improvement for sure, based on seeing the lap times posted by others and the feedback from the Garmin.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
My 1st year anniversary of tracking my 22 Mustang Mach1. The 1st time on the track with my Mach1 was last year Sept at ORP (Oregon Raceway Counter Clockwise). My time was 02:20.32.
I went back this year in June and managed 02:04.86.
This week (3rd time doing ORP CCW) I was gunning for the sub 2min but alas, my best was 02:00.14. My optimum time on the Garmin Catalyst was 01:58.03 so it's doable. With 13 track days with my Mustang since I got it last year, it's been a great experience and exciting year and feel that I am getting better and starting to understand and 'feel' the car. Loving life...

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
My 1st year anniversary of tracking my 22 Mustang Mach1. The 1st time on the track with my Mach1 was last year Sept at ORP (Oregon Raceway Counter Clockwise). My time was 02:20.32.
This week (3rd time doing ORP CCW) I was gunning for the sub 2min but alas, my best was 02:00.14. My optimum time on the Garmin Catalyst was 01:58.03 so it's doable. With 13 track days with my Mustang since I got it last year, it's been a great experience and exciting year and feel that I am getting better and starting to understand and 'feel' the car. Loving life...

Congratulations Ian!!! Glad you are hitting the tracks and improving yourself along with learning your car.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)

Congrats for sure, and thanks for all the help the last few months.

OP
OP
IanKar

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)