Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
That looks great. How do they cut it to have it so precise? Laying it on the hood and cutting against the hood is no go for me so I was thinking rather to have it covered the sticker too. But seeing it can be done, I'd really like to preserve the original look of the sticker.
They cut it after laying it on the hood! I’m fortunate to have a really good shop 15 min away. If I had to guess I would say the tool that is used to cut only has a cutting length equivalent to the thickness of the material. Or maybe PPF acts similar to glass in that the tool almost scores it and it creates a weak point along the cut line where it can be separated easily. I’m not entirely sure but the owner of the company is a member on here and if you want he might be able to chime in.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I found a good detailer shop here too, they should handle pretty much anything, but they haven't seen the car in person yet, so just gathering intel. Thanks

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I found a good detailer shop here too, they should handle pretty much anything, but they haven't seen the car in person yet, so just gathering intel. Thanks
When shopping around the detailing shops for a PPF application, I also talked to one detailer, who told me (and showed me) that they had basically all the parts for Mach 1 in some sort of CAD program (directly from XPEL) and could modify them as they wished and then had them cut by an industrial cutter exactly to the specs.

It just seemed that with some manufacturers the specs were not that stringent, so instead of relying on the official templates they preferred to cut the parts themselves (typically when some randomly placed badges were involved). So I could imagine they could either cut it around the sticker by hand, or get the geometry from XPEL/Ford and change the template for the cutter.

He also told me that for the hood, they usually prefer to cut it to the size directly on the hood, because it was easier than fitting right the tightly cut "official" shape.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was told the same thing, that they prefer to cut hood on Mustangs by hand because it's difficult shape than use the plotter to cut it. It's not Xpel Ultimate but its clone with very similar properties, they probably use the same database.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was told the same thing, that they prefer to cut hood on Mustangs by hand because it's difficult shape than use the plotter to cut it. It's not Xpel Ultimate but its clone with very similar properties, they probably use the same database.
Have you gotten your Mach 1 yet? I'm curious what the Czech peeps gonna think of it. :)

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@Bit_the_Bullitt Sadly not yet, the build date moved to this week so fingers crossed. I expect it in October...
I know most will think it's sacrilege, but get you a new set of rims and winter tires, the Bullitt's been an absolute beast and a blast through Ohio winter, which is pretty similar to what I remember in the Czech.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
get you a new set of rims and winter tires
I plan to use the Y-spoke wheels with winter tyres and get 20" HRE wheels with wide tyres for next season :wink:
Though I won't drive it in bad weather.

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I plan to use the Y-spoke whees with winter tyres and get 20" HRE wheels with wide tyres for next season :wink:
YES! Love seeing these in the winter and year-round.
Just hit 25,000mi (over 40k km) as my daily in less than 1.5yrs, I wish you many happy more miles.

In a little bit, my car would've ran 1,000 marathons. That's 1,000 more than I've ever ran. :crackup:

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
When shopping around the detailing shops for a PPF application, I also talked to one detailer, who told me (and showed me) that they had basically all the parts for Mach 1 in some sort of CAD program (directly from XPEL) and could modify them as they wished and then had them cut by an industrial cutter exactly to the specs.

It just seemed that with some manufacturers the specs were not that stringent, so instead of relying on the official templates they preferred to cut the parts themselves (typically when some randomly placed badges were involved). So I could imagine they could either cut it around the sticker by hand, or get the geometry from XPEL/Ford and change the template for the cutter.

He also told me that for the hood, they usually prefer to cut it to the size directly on the hood, because it was easier than fitting right the tightly cut "official" shape.
My detail shop outsources the PPF. They shop they used to use wasn't great. Lucky for me I was the last car they took to them :explode: . Oh well, they detail shop made them redo my hood because of gaps between the vents and the PPF. The ended up taking the vents out so the film would be underneath them. No more gap. I'll have to ask them about this possibility.

Delz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt premium
Jay
What's a set of those vossen wheels running?

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
Ordered a Mach 1 from Jay this morning. Thanks for answering all my questions. Hope I don’t have to wait to long…

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
@Jay at Granger not to heckle you but any update on the wheel weight comparisons for the Vossen v Ford OEM's?

I just got my build date back on my M1- it's set for early November, so figure December delivery....not sure how I feel about driving it home on summer tires; I may well order another wheel/tire set from you guys and ship the summers? Or maybe I'll have to ship the car....decisions decisions

OP
OP
Jay at Granger

Jay at Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
@Jay at Granger not to heckle you but any update on the wheel weight comparisons for the Vossen v Ford OEM's?

I just got my build date back on my M1- it's set for early November, so figure December delivery....not sure how I feel about driving it home on summer tires; I may well order another wheel/tire set from you guys and ship the summers? Or maybe I'll have to ship the car....decisions decisions
I just went and weighed the Vossen. 31lbs with no tire. I am not sure on the OEM wheels unfortunately.
Sponsored