Mach 1 vs used GT350

DoctorJedi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camry
Is anyone cross shopping a new Mach 1 vs a used GT350? What pushes you in a direction?
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Well, without the Handling Pack, you can option the A10, but I'd sort of assume with the GT350 being the comparison, we're talking a Mach I Handling Pack (and as such, a manual). Then I'd guess the major comparison points are:

Mach I

Obviously, new car warranty
Maybe better around town (more low/mid with the Coyote)
Possibly less major engine failure concern / less cost in the event of failure[?]

And just having a new performance car, without any unknowns

GT350

Shelby exclusivity / unique ownership experience with the high RPM FPC
A few more unique exterior elements
Notable brake upgrade

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
With the price of used GT350's I'd get the GT350 unless you want the A10. The GT350 would have an edge in power and handling. Not a HUGE one though. Also, be multiple thousand less.
Yeah, and I guess we still don't know the final Mach I pricing, right? Just some speculation based on prices of existing models - and when I say price, I'm talking "effective price", because if the Mach I becomes another car that's tough to source without an ADM, it might make a used GT350 look like a bargain :)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, and I guess we still don't know the final Mach I pricing, right? Just some speculation based on prices of existing models - and when I say price, I'm talking "effective price", because if the Mach I becomes another car that's tough to source without an ADM, it might make a used GT350 look like a bargain :)
I'm assuming it will be at least 50K, probably more like 55K not counting markups, and used GT350's already can be had for low mid 40's.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
shelby is a shelby, its a fantastic car and after driving a few i really do enjoy them but as an everyday car i believe the mach 1 would be the superior choice.
im assuming the mach 1 will get the 4 exhaust modes vs the shelbys 2, also the shelby wouldnt have the digital guage cluster.
I know many have not had any issues with the 5.2 but even in the supplemental gt350 manual on page 54 it says that it can consume 1 quart every 500 miles if driving hard. those are the trade offs for having a racing engine more maintenance and attention to detail.

Turn key not worry drive everyday= Mach 1
Race car little more special but requires more TLC=Shelby

All depends on what is important to you.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The MACH is a daily driver, the 350 is a weekend car

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a similar boat. I have a deposit down and I'm first allocation for a Mach1 of my order choice when it comes out next March. In the meantime I had the opportunity to drive a brand new 2020 gt350 at dealership so I'm contemplating getting new gt350 for a few thousand under sticker or waiting for the Mach1. Things I noticed-
-GT350 didn't seem much faster than my 15 tuned GT under 4K rpm's
-Gt350 is the coolest looking and sounding car out, better than GT500 IMO
-I like to drive my sports car all year round in Chicago, weekends mostly. Shelby seems like it will cost more to have winter tire setup and new tires will cost more because of size. Also I may be more reluctant to drive a Shelby in the winter or to certain places because of its limited edition Shelby status and I don't want a garage queen car.
-Lastly, I may need to use my wife's Jeep sometimes and she can't drive a stick, so 10sp Mach takes care of that issue.
Decisions, Decisions

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
I'm in a similar boat. I have a deposit down and I'm first allocation for a Mach1 of my order choice when it comes out next March. In the meantime I had the opportunity to drive a brand new 2020 gt350 at dealership so I'm contemplating getting new gt350 for a few thousand under sticker or waiting for the Mach1. Things I noticed-
-GT350 didn't seem much faster than my 15 tuned GT under 4K rpm's
-Gt350 is the coolest looking and sounding car out, better than GT500 IMO
-I like to drive my sports car all year round in Chicago, weekends mostly. Shelby seems like it will cost more to have winter tire setup and new tires will cost more because of size. Also I may be more reluctant to drive a Shelby in the winter or to certain places because of its limited edition Shelby status and I don't want a garage queen car.
-Lastly, I may need to use my wife's Jeep sometimes and she can't drive a stick, so 10sp Mach takes care of that issue.
Decisions, Decisions
I wish I could find a dealership around me willing to take a deposit on a Mach 1. Most dealerships don't even want to talk after mentioning the Mach 1 :(

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I made friends with the sales guy so he actually contacted me to ask if I wanted to be first. He also promised no markup

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
I made friends with the sales guy so he actually contacted me to ask if I wanted to be first. He also promised no markup
yeah, the local dealership near me, where I bought my first mustang in 1993, is known for high ADM’s. The 2 major mustang dealerships on Long Island were helpful, but asked me to contact them again after the order guide was out. I was hoping to lock in a deal (MSRP, no ADM) before then so I’m early on the list, but no luck yet ☹

ddanj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro V6 1LE
I've been also thinking about this comparison.

Used GT350
Pros:
Looks
Sound
Seats

Cons:
Old gauge cluster
Engine reliability
Maybe too loud in the morning
Expensive tires, brakes
Front end starting to look a bit dated

Mach 1
Pros:
Looks
Latest digital gauge cluster
Warranty/reliability
Cheaper tires, brakes

Cons:
Not GT350 seats

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I would be very leery of a used GT350. My dealer took one in on trade awhile back. Owned locally. Clean looking CPO ............ Guess what ? A dealer doesn't check the ECU for a tune. I did some discrete inquiries. It had been tuned, header install. And, tracked regularly it seems. We have one of the major national drag strips in Ennis, TX. Needless to say, I bought the Bullitt instead.
Sponsored