Sponsored

Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I've owned both. All around the Mach 1 is a better car. It's more practical you can see out of it better. It's easier to get in and out of all that kind of fun stuff.

I got the autocross both of them back to back one day on the same model tire and ran pretty much identical times, except I ran the Camaro later in the day on a cleaner more rubbed in course.

I've also tracked both of them. I can trust the brakes in the Mach 1. The Camaro tried to kill me and I'm not kidding when I say that and GM doesn't seem to give a crap about that. They're been numerous problems with Camaro brakes on track.

They're different. They're not hugely different. I like the steering better in the Camaro. I like the brakes better in the Mustang. You have to shift a lot more in the Mustang because of the way it's geared and the way the engine makes power. It's a little softer personally I like the diff and the Mustang because at least it's predictable.

I think the Mustang dampers could use some more starch in terms of rebound control. That's nothing that a DSC box probably couldn't remedy. The Camaro seats are better in terms of holding you in place and yes that's even compared to the Mach 1 Recaro's.
Just curious - did you replace the brake fluid with high temp. fluid per the Camaro track prep manual? The brakes are also supposed to be properly burnished and the manual gives precise instructions. Maybe you did those things, but thought I'd ask.

Race Track Preparation Guide (chevrolet.com)

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
huh?!?!? The linked article was pointing at the SS/1LE review. The rest of the paragraph is VERY OBVIOUSLY talking about every other Mustang mentioned on the main article page. The SS/1LE outclassed the GT350R, the GT500 and even GT500CFTP on the figure eight in G and time, and 60-0 braking figures. And on SC3 tires instead of Cup2.

Are you just reaching for any excuse not to admit the SS/1LE does some things better than everything Ford has come up with for the Mustang iterations?
I've read the article 3 times now and still fail to see mention of a 2021 Mach 1, or a GT500 or even a PP2 other than they didn't have one for testing.
I'm not saying the SS/1LE isn't a superior car, it may well be. I'm saying that it hasn't been proven to be a better car in the article, because it was not tested against the Mustangs I mentioned or to the OP's question.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've read the article 3 times now and still fail to see mention of a 2021 Mach 1, or a GT500 or even a PP2 other than they didn't have one for testing.
Ok, find a cup of coffee and try again.

See this 1st link immediately below? It's the couple-day old article that compares the M1 against all the other high-falutin' Mustang stable; the GT350, and GT500. The final paragraph "The last V8 powered 1LE we tested ..." is from THAT article. If you follow the sub-link pointed by the "The last v8 powered 1LE we tested" goes to a 3 year old article that compared the 1LE to the PP2 and makes no mention of the GT500 etc obviously. The most recent article which compared the M1 against all comers is where they disclose the SS/1LE spanked every Mustang version on a few metrics.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/

Also compares the 1LE to M1 with HP.

" The last V-8-powered 1LE we tested doesn't just roast the Mach 1—it beats every Mustang mentioned here around the figure-eight, and its 93-foot stop from 60 is better than every Mustang on this list, too. A 22.9 second lap at an average of 0.91 g is nothing short of phenomenal, and again, better than any Mustang here. Because it isn't endowed with supercar horsepower or a twin-clutch automatic transmission, the 1LE does lose out to the most powerful Mustangs in the 0-60 mph sprint, but it's still quicker than the Mach 1."

Results, 1LE is still ahead, problem is you would have to live with the 1LE everyday.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I have nothing to contribute but I'd buy the 1LE over the Mach just because Ford put a single piston rear brake and no two piece rotor on a 50k+ "track" car. What a joke

Edit: oh and no electronic diff either, but it's got cool colors 🙄

Last edited:

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have nothing to contribute but I'd buy the 1LE over the Mach just because Ford put a single piston rear brake and no two piece rotor on a 50k+ car. What a joke
You mean $60k+ car? I think the MT Mach 1 was optioned to $64k.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You mean $60k+ car? I think the MT Mach 1 was optioned to $64k.
the stripper Mach1 is 53,400, 55,300 for premium. Which is already thousands north of the top trim 2SS/1LE. For the Ford to have feature parity with the 1LE you have to add the Handling Pack at $4000 making it a laughably bad deal. There is absolutely no justification for the Mach1 700A with all the options being north of 56k.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
just because Ford put a single piston rear brake and no two piece rotor on a 50k+ "track" car. What a joke
When it brakes fine without fatigue, does it really matter? No single review mentioned any problems with brakes, they are plenty powerful for their task. People will always nitpick.

It's not a track special like the Shelbys, it's a GT that'll have a lots of fun on the track.

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Okay, after reading both articles again, I see where the articles back your point, but magazine articles are not the end all of arguments or facts. I have learned that magazine articles are as unreliable with facts as the main stream media. I will admit that the SS/1LE does SEEM to be the better car for the track at less money. However I will point out that the Mustang has been in constant production for over 50 years, and Chevrolet is dropping production of the Camaro AGAIN. Having owned a Camaro myself, I hate to hear this, but I understand it too.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
However I will point out that the Mustang has been in constant production for over 50 years, and Chevrolet is dropping production of the Camaro AGAIN
completely irrelevant observation. I've been taking sh*ts every day or so in my life. That's not something I celebrate, really.

Last edited:

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
When it brakes fine without fatigue, does it really matter? No single review mentioned any problems with brakes, they are plenty powerful for their task. People will always nitpick.

It's not a track special like the Shelbys, it's a GT that'll have a lots of fun on the track.
When there's a direct competitor that includes it for less money, then yes it's justified to "nitpick".

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Sales are of course related to "normal use " in the 99.9% of the time and mustang are better looking cars.
But if you need a car for track and if i wpuld do it again (i track only my mustang 18) i would go ss 1le.
I do have a ZL1 1LE too. And still i think i wpuld pick the ss 1le platform.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
There's a 2019 1LE with 9000 miles on it for sale 10 minutes from my house. I must be a shallow superficial person but even though it slightly outperforms all the Mustangs, I can't even make myself go test drive it because I can't get past the looks (from outside OR inside, I have test driven a base SS). Its the perfect car analogy to a blind date who is described as "she's got a great personality." Love the wheels but just can't get past the body. I like taking my car to shows and people just walk right past 1LE's but are interested in Mustangs. My 19 yr old son's observation of the 1LE is, it doesn't look much different than a regular car, and that black hood looks stupid. Granted, one person's opinion. It's kind of similar with C8 Corvettes - better performance but I'd rather have a Mach 1 because you can't get a manual in the C8. But if you want a dedicated track car it would be a no-brainer to get a 1LE.

Last edited:

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
There's a 2019 1LE with 9000 miles on it for sale 10 minutes from my house. I must be a shallow superficial person but even though it slightly outperforms all the Mustangs, I can't even make myself go test drive it because I can't get past the looks (from outside OR inside, I have test driven a base SS). Its the perfect car analogy to a blind date who is described as "she's got a great personality." I like taking my car to shows and people just walk right past 1LE's but are interested in Mustangs. My 19 yr old son's observation of the 1LE is, it doesn't look much different than a regular car, and that black hood looks stupid. Granted, one person's opinion. It's kind of similar with C8 Corvettes - better performance but I'd rather have a Mach 1 because you can't get a manual in the C8. But if you want a dedicated track car it would like a no-brainer to get a 1LE.
To each their own but I get constant compliments in my 17 SS 1LE. I get them in my 15 GT as well but I would say the 1LE gets at least twice the attention.

They are both great cars but the 1LE is much better on track
Sponsored