Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Handling Pack
I've owned both. All around the Mach 1 is a better car. It's more practical you can see out of it better. It's easier to get in and out of all that kind of fun stuff.

I got the autocross both of them back to back one day on the same model tire and ran pretty much identical times, except I ran the Camaro later in the day on a cleaner more rubbed in course.

I've also tracked both of them. I can trust the brakes in the Mach 1. The Camaro tried to kill me and I'm not kidding when I say that and GM doesn't seem to give a crap about that. They're been numerous problems with Camaro brakes on track.

They're different. They're not hugely different. I like the steering better in the Camaro. I like the brakes better in the Mustang. You have to shift a lot more in the Mustang because of the way it's geared and the way the engine makes power. It's a little softer personally I like the diff and the Mustang because at least it's predictable.

I think the Mustang dampers could use some more starch in terms of rebound control. That's nothing that a DSC box probably couldn't remedy. The Camaro seats are better in terms of holding you in place and yes that's even compared to the Mach 1 Recaro's.
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I find it's how well you drive the car and not what car you drive that makes the difference. I also don't think there is a big difference between similarly equipped Mustangs or Camaros, and not that big of a price difference either.
I've spent the last couple of days on Chevy and Ford's build and price pages putting together comparable cars, and they are usually within a couple thousand dollars of each other.
The exception is the M1 HP compared to SS1LE, but then I remembered the M1 has the all the oil coolers and adjustable camber plates (I think that's right) and I think better tires. Rather that's worth it or not depends on if your a Ford or a Chevy guy. Right now I'm a Ford guy, but give me a SS1LE Camaro and I'll drive drive it. Don't know if the wife will ride with me though.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The exception is the M1 HP compared to SS1LE, but then I remembered the M1 has the all the oil coolers and adjustable camber plates (I think that's right) and I think better tires.
SS/1LE has had all the necessary coolers since 2016. Supercar3 is a better tire than the PS4S except perhaps in the wet. But who gives a crap about OE tires? Trivially swapped or discarded. True the Mach1 HP has Ford camber plates. $500 will net you some VASTLY superior Vorschlag units for the 'maro, and you're still 5 grand cheaper than the M1.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
Well, I stand corrected and yield to shogun32's expertise. I'm also not going to get involved in the age old which is better argument.
I just hope Chevy will keep the Camaro going and not cancel it again like I have heard.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to needle you shogun32, but looking through Chevy's Camaro page, I can't find anything that identifies if the interiors are leather or cloth. Is this the difference between a SS1 or SS2? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to needle you shogun32, but looking through Chevy's Camaro page, I can't find anything that identifies if the interiors are leather or cloth. Is this the difference between a SS1 or SS2? Maybe I'm just missing it.
1LE in 1SS trim level is leather/vinyl+cloth/alcantera mix. 2SS gets much nicer and full leather. Non-1LE 1SS gets cloth interior just like Mustang 100/300 series.

interior_left_front_seat_3_49.jpg

This is 2SS seat.

cu-9.jpg

ZL1 seat

cu-8.jpg

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
10-Roger shogun. Thanks for the explanation.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/

Also compares the 1LE to M1 with HP.

" The last V-8-powered 1LE we tested doesn't just roast the Mach 1—it beats every Mustang mentioned here around the figure-eight, and its 93-foot stop from 60 is better than every Mustang on this list, too. A 22.9 second lap at an average of 0.91 g is nothing short of phenomenal, and again, better than any Mustang here. Because it isn't endowed with supercar horsepower or a twin-clutch automatic transmission, the 1LE does lose out to the most powerful Mustangs in the 0-60 mph sprint, but it's still quicker than the Mach 1."

Results, 1LE is still ahead, problem is you would have to live with the 1LE everyday.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t fix ugly
I don’t care how how much better it handles for less $
The Camaro Fell out of the gm plant and hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down… lol

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/

Also compares the 1LE to M1 with HP.

" The last V-8-powered 1LE we tested doesn't just roast the Mach 1—it beats every Mustang mentioned here around the figure-eight, and its 93-foot stop from 60 is better than every Mustang on this list, too. A 22.9 second lap at an average of 0.91 g is nothing short of phenomenal, and again, better than any Mustang here. Because it isn't endowed with supercar horsepower or a twin-clutch automatic transmission, the 1LE does lose out to the most powerful Mustangs in the 0-60 mph sprint, but it's still quicker than the Mach 1."

Results, 1LE is still ahead, problem is you would have to live with the 1LE everyday.
If your source articles are backing up your statement, then you either posted the wrong articles or you have vivid imagination.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If your source articles are backing up your statement, then you either posted the wrong articles or you have vivid imagination.
did you read all the way to the bottom of the MT article in his link? Here's the section heading "
Bow-Tie Surprise!" so you can find it.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
I found this to be an interesting video. It doesn't settle any arguments, but it is informative.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
did you read all the way to the bottom of the MT article in his link? Here's the section heading "
Bow-Tie Surprise!" so you can find it.
Yes I did. the comparison is between the 18 1LE and a PP1, not a M1 or even a PP2. And as for the Bow Tie Surprise, one tenth of a second difference is more driver skill than car capabilities.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I did. the comparison is between the 18 1LE and a PP1, not a M1 or even a PP2
huh?!?!? The linked article was pointing at the SS/1LE review. The rest of the paragraph is VERY OBVIOUSLY talking about every other Mustang mentioned on the main article page. The SS/1LE outclassed the GT350R, the GT500 and even GT500CFTP on the figure eight in G and time, and 60-0 braking figures. And on SC3 tires instead of Cup2.

Are you just reaching for any excuse not to admit the SS/1LE does some things better than everything Ford has come up with for the Mustang iterations?

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
1LE in 1SS trim level is leather/vinyl+cloth/alcantera mix. 2SS gets much nicer and full leather. Non-1LE 1SS gets cloth interior just like Mustang 100/300 series.

ZL1 seat

cu-8.jpg
Technically, those are not the ZL1 seats. Maybe they're the SS 1LE seats? They look to have the same bolstering as a ZL1 seat, though, just a different styling scheme. The ZL1 seats have red stitching, black leather bolsters, and a ZL1 plaque/logo in them. Here's the ZL1 seats:

1624546443646.png
Sponsored