Sponsored

Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Does this mean that everybody should go out and trade their pony/sports cars for 1 ton vans for track use?
absolutley. Lower the van by 4-6 inches and put 305 section tires on it.

I harassed a '18+ Magnetic GT thru Clifton (narrow tight 2-lane with no shoulder, and blind and complex curves) yesterday in my F150. I wasn't in his trunk but close enough that it was apparent I wasn't just keeping up but could go faster. :)
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
A 1SS with 1LE as the only option at full MSRP of only $45,695 is a lot of performance for the dollar vs a 600A with Mach 1 Handling Package as the only option at $58,345(plus a possible $1,000 gas guzzler tax). Even a 2SS with 1LE, performance data recorder, sunroof, and upgraded navigation is only $53,525.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Think I'll through some darkness into the light.
I once got into a pursuit with a new Datsun 260Z. I was in a new Ford E350; our district paddy wagon. Chase lasted a couple of miles through crooked, hilly neighborhood streets, and a 4 lane surface road before I caught him, then a foot pursuit for a half block before I finally caught him.
Does this mean that everybody should go out and trade their pony/sports cars for 1 ton vans for track use?
I think it means that you could probably moonlight as a track driving instructor. :thumbsup:

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
A 1SS with 1LE as the only option at full MSRP of only $45,695 is a lot of performance for the dollar vs a 600A with Mach 1 Handling Package as the only option at $58,345(plus a possible $1,000 gas guzzler tax). Even a 2SS with 1LE, performance data recorder, sunroof, and upgraded navigation is only $53,525.
Wait a second hereā€¦.. are you telling me I can get a Camaro for cheaper than a Mach 1? Guess I should have shopped around more before plopping down 60K.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Wait a second hereā€¦.. are you telling me I can get a Camaro for cheaper than a Mach 1? Guess I should have shopped around more before plopping down 60K.
Yes, you can.

but you can also buy dog shit for less than a filet. whatever fits your taste though.

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
DEDXXXX said:

Yes, you can. but you can also buy dog shit for less than a filet. whatever fits your taste though.
I'm just saying it's a heck of a performance value at $13K less, MSRP vs MSRP. I like my loaded $45K MSRP 2015 that I bought for $29K with 7k miles on it instead of buying a new $47K MSRP 2017 that I could have bought for $38K with the exact same options because of the performance value. The 2015 was identical in features and performance for $9k less than the 2017, $18K less than the MSRP of the 2017. To order the same factory options my 2015 car has now as a 2021 GT puts the MSRP at $53K. The GT has basically gone up in MSRP $1k a year for the past six years for the same options. The Mustang keeps edging up in price with the rev matching Tremec and three coolers of the Mach 1 being the first substantial upgrades in available options to the Mustang line in the past six years but they add another $7k over a comparable GT. To order the same options(all except Adaptive Cruise Control since Ford apparently can't figure out how to mount the radar sensor behind a Mach 1 lower grill) as a 2021 Mach 1 is $60K for a non Mach 1 Handling Package car.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
DEDXXXX said:

I'm just saying it's a heck of a performance value at $13K less, MSRP vs MSRP. I like my loaded $45K MSRP 2015 that I bought for $29K with 7k miles on it instead of buying a new $47K MSRP 2017 that I could have bought for $38K with the exact same options because of the performance value. The 2015 was identical in features and performance for $9k less than the 2017, $18K less than the MSRP of the 2017. To order the same factory options my 2015 car has now as a 2021 GT puts the MSRP at $53K. The GT has basically gone up in MSRP $1k a year for the past six years for the same options. The Mustang keeps edging up in price with the rev matching Tremec and three coolers of the Mach 1 being the first substantial upgrades in available options to the Mustang line in the past six years but they add another $7k over a comparable GT. To order the same options(all except Adaptive Cruise Control since Ford apparently can't figure out how to mount the radar sensor behind a Mach 1 lower grill) as a 2021 Mach 1 is $60K for a non Mach 1 Handling Package car.
I was joking, sorta. Yes, from a purely performance standpoint, the 1SS 1LE is a great price. as compared to the Mustang. Yet, despite the increased price of the Mustang across the board, it has a significantly higher following and sales number every year.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
DEDXXXX said:

It's almost as if on-paper performance isn't the only thing that matters when choosing a car...

But foreelz, the Camaro was a hell of a bargain pre-pandemic, and I'm still struggling with the Mustang v Camaro decision for my next car today. Still, "performance per dollar" is a relatively minor consideration for me, as we've been discussing for like two pages now, lol.

If that was the only thing that mattered, no one would ever buy anything but a Corvette, and the base Porsche 911 would have died off years ago...

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
I like my loaded $45K MSRP 2015 that I bought for $29K with 7k miles on it instead of buying a new $47K MSRP 2017 that I could have bought for $38K with the exact same options because of the performance value.
I bought a brand spanking new 2012 SRT8 392 in 2011 For close to 50k. It was beautiful. And a monster. A true beast. Had pretty much everything the Mach 1 has 10 years later. Tremec, 480 Hp, 480 torque, sport modes, suspension, cool wheels, etc. Mustang was still last gen and Iā€™m not even sure if there was a Camaro at the time. People called me nuts for spending that much on a Dodge. Until I gave them a ride in it. Sold it in April. Held about 60% of its value. The M1 is about 10k more 10 years later. Not too bad. and think of how much I saved by not getting a GT350 or an M2 comp, my other 2 choices. bargain!

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I think it means that you could probably moonlight as a track driving instructor. :thumbsup:
Well, actually I was, some 14 years later.
The real lesson is; It's not the nut that holding the wheel on, it's the nut that's holding the wheel that counts.
The SS1LE and the Mach 1 are so close, that driver skill is the real factor.
Sponsored